1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something new: Columbia University football going without fat guys on O-line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Traditional football powerhouse Columbia University opens its season tomorrow (I'll be there. Will you?).

They have a new coach but will probably have the same old losing season. But as noted by the blog devoted to Columbia football -- yes it exists, yes it is pretty interesting for the 25 people who follow Columbia football -- they're completely going against the trend with the offensive line. The average weight? 255. The right guard is 227.

http://www.culions.blogspot.com/

As the writer notes, weight with players is a huge health issue, although it isn't quite as publicized as concussions (although there have been several good stories about it). You almost think eventually guys on the line will have to get smaller again. They can't keep getting bigger, can they? And it's certainly not just an issue in the NFL. Any level of college, it basically seems the hogs will weigh 300 or damn close.

So what will happen? Tomorrow I'll probably watch a bunch of skinny linemen get tossed around in upper Manhattan and that will be that.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I read the blog and see Colombia is favored by one over Marist. Do you think the Lions can cover at home?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Betting our savings on it.

4. LanceyHoward

Does that statement reflect your confidence in the Lions or are you just a pauper like me?

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The lineman won't be able to buy the big sugary sodas that they need to keep their weight up.

6. LanceyHoward

At the risk of threadjacking the size of lineman in football today is the reason that I am glad my pudgy, 6'5" son passed on football. I look at those college lineman who are over 300 and wonder what the extra weight will do to their future lifestyle and life expectancy.

I remember in the 80's when the Cleveland Browns had a rule that all their O-lineman had to be under 265. But the rules allowing offensive lineman to extend their arms reduced the need for athleticism and increased the need for size. Now Colombia O-line is not much smaller than the those teams.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My high school girlfriend went to Columbia. That's all I've got.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I used to hang with a few degenates who'd bet on ants racing on the sidewalk but I don't think even they'd have any action on this game.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Would any of them wager on snorting the ants?

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Many of them snorted other stuff.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think it's been mentioned before, but there are guys in Vegas who make an absolute killing betting stuff like Ivy League football and Patriot League basketball.
    The lines are often out of whack because even the sports books don't know a damn thing about it. If you do your homework, throw yourself into a league and figure it out, you can do quite well for yourself.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

It's innovation like that which is going to help the Lions end their 78 year bowl drought

Draft saved Draft deleted