Author Topic: Julia Roberts & Nationwide Insurance  (Read 6678 times)

Offline KJIM

• Not in your time zone
Julia Roberts & Nationwide Insurance
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »
Academy Award winner Julia Roberts is now doing voiceovers for Nationwide Insurance.

I do not get this.

I'm aware that lots of celebrities do ads in other countries, etc. But Julia Roberts? Endorsing insurance?

Is she trying to get back into the game? Did they just throw big bucks at her? Did she think her voice wouldn't be recognize? Did she hope it would? Does Nationwide Insurance really think people will buy their insurance if she hawks their product? Did she lose a bet? Crash her car?

And I don't 't buy something like "oh, she missed the/just wanted to work" or something -- how long can it take to record a few spots?

I've heard spots from lots of familiar voices: Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Tom Selleck ... but an Oscar winner?

I can accept Lisa Kudrow and the Yoplait - at least that's a throwaway product. But insurance? Really?

There is no explanation as to why this surprised me, but for some reason it did.

Offline Starman

• "There's a Starman waiting in the sky."
"What is the difference between genius and stupidity? Genius has limits." (Albert Einstein)

Offline novelist_wannabe

Re: Julia Roberts & Nationwide Insurance
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »
I think I get why Nationwide would go this direction. More and more women are assuming decision-making roles, both in households and businesses, and I suppose JR appeals to them.

For her, I guess it's really easy money. Not like she needs it. Or she's heard Clooney talk about his ads in Europe and she thinks, "Anything he can do I can do better."
Bones heal.  Chicks dig scars.  And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world.

Offline PCLoadLetter

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:18 PM »
Not unusual in the slightest.  George Clooney, Gene Hackman, Jeff Bridges, Robert DeNiro, Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman, Gary Sinise... there are a hell of a lot of top actors who do commercial voiceovers.

It's not the first one she's done, either.
Stuck in dumb amazement like a dog who's told to levitate.

Offline PCLoadLetter

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
I think I get why Nationwide would go this direction. More and more women are assuming decision-making roles, both in households and businesses, and I suppose JR appeals to them.

For her, I guess it's really easy money. Not like she needs it. Or she's heard Clooney talk about his ads in Europe and she thinks, "Anything he can do I can do better."

It's not just Europe.  Clooney voices Budweiser ads.
Stuck in dumb amazement like a dog who's told to levitate.

Offline Rhody31

• Best. Nap partner. Ever
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:08:57 AM »
Jon Hamm does voiceovers for what seems like every commercial.
"Ya mo murdered a lot of people out there."
"They're not people James Ingram. They're Jimmy Buffet fans."
-James Ingram and Michael McDonald, Yacht Rock 11

2012 SJ.com Fantasy Golf Champion

Offline Azrael

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 03:24:28 AM »

The old rules no longer apply.

The second most recognizable commercial voice for the Olympics was Matt Damon. And what about Jackson and Scorsese and Malkovich, et al., and the iPhone?

Online Elliotte Friedman

• Journalism topics only
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 06:16:38 AM »
There was an article about Clooney in Esquire where he talked about how the money he gets from two commercials a year in Southeast Asia funds all of his charity work. Don't know if that's the same principle here, but it explains his philosophy.

Offline SockPuppet

• You'll get nothing, and like it!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
That homeless DJ who got the voice over job for mac and cheese is PISSED at this development.
Be quick but don't hurry.
Don't confuse activity for achievement.
“CAN YOU STOP TRYING TO WRITE LIKE CHARLIE PIERCE, BECAUSE YOU FUCKING CAN’T.” (anonymous Esquire editor)

Offline Brian

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 08:23:54 AM »
See? Norm MacDonald really isn't a C-lister! [cross-thread]

Offline YankeeFan

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 09:23:03 AM »
Plus, a voice over is not the same as a personal endorsement.

While you might recognize the voice, they don't identify themselves.

I've now been told Cracky McCrackhead has dedicated his sig to me. I'm touched.

Offline Small Town Guy

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »
Not unusual in the slightest.  George Clooney, Gene Hackman, Jeff Bridges, Robert DeNiro, Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman, Gary Sinise... there are a hell of a lot of top actors who do commercial voiceovers.

Of those you mentioned, the only one whose voice I would recognize is Morgan Freeman. (Possibly Clooney.) Freeman has one of "those" voices, though, and even in the films he's in he tends to be the narrator. And, he's up there in years and doesn't "carry" movies.

The other would be more like, "Gee, that guy's voice sounds familiar ..." and then it would leave my brain.

Right now, I'm trying to pull up an audio in my head of Hackman, DeNiro or Spacey and and coming up blank.

Bridges (which one is Jeff?) and Sinise I couldn't pick out of a lineup, though I have seen then in enough films. Not a chance I'd recognize them in voiceovers.

I think Hackman is one of the most recognizable. United Airlines, Lowes.

Offline Versatile

• The ghost slips away.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »

Of those you mentioned, the only one whose voice I would recognize is Morgan Freeman. (Possibly Clooney.) Freeman has one of "those" voices, though, and even in the films he's in he tends to be the narrator. And, he's up there in years and doesn't "carry" movies.

The other would be more like, "Gee, that guy's voice sounds familiar ..." and then it would leave my brain.

Right now, I'm trying to pull up an audio in my head of Hackman, DeNiro or Spacey and and coming up blank.

Bridges (which one is Jeff?) and Sinise I couldn't pick out of a lineup, though I have seen then in enough films. Not a chance I'd recognize them in voiceovers.

I think Hackman is one of the most recognizable. United Airlines, Lowes.

"LET'S GO! LET'S GO! LET ME HEAR IT! LET'S GO!"

I'd have to think these voiceovers are about the easiest money a celebrity can get, and they definitely don't come cheap.
"Things have only gone downhill. But I'm still playing my violin on the Titanic." — I Should Coco

Offline Lugnuts

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »

Matt Damon's doing something right now that makes me cringe.  Heard it a lot during the Olympics.

My only satisfaction is that I can't remember what the product is.  FACE!

Offline 93Devil

"We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." -- Vince Lombardi

Offline novelist_wannabe

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »
There was an article about Clooney in Esquire where he talked about how the money he gets from two commercials a year in Southeast Asia funds all of his charity work. Don't know if that's the same principle here, but it explains his philosophy.

I didn't remember it being SE Asia. I thought it was Europe and it was ads for coffee. Not only did it fund his charity work, it allowed him the freedom to take on movie projects that might not otherwise get done. I can see Julia Roberts being interest in that sort of stuff, especially considering the career shelf life for women in Hollywood. She's had better staying power than most, but if this is what she has to do to maintain her freedom of choice over her movie projects, who can blame her? As already stated, it's easy money.
Bones heal.  Chicks dig scars.  And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world.

Offline Buck

• Belief is the death of intelligence.
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »
Because she's known for taking on difficult roles and risky movies?
I've got no problem with her or Clooney or anybody else wanting to make money, but is it really necessary to drape it in some kind of nobility.
"Is", "is." "is"—the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at This moment.

Offline Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L)

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 02:54:36 PM »
I never really saw the attraction for Julia Roberts. Seriously. There are dozens and dozens of women in Hollywood better looking with better personalities.

I also find it amusing when I recognized Paul Giamatti doing voice overs for some commercial. Even just talking he sounds out of breath.
http://large-regular.blogspot.com

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

"No fear. No envy. No meanness." --Liam Clancy to Bob Dylan

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »
I think I read somewhere that Banderas gets $5 mil a year to voice the Nasonex bee. Hell, Gilbert Gottfried was pushing a million a year to be the Aflack (sp?) duck before he was fired.

She probably got close to eight figures to do a few hours of voice over work. You can't fault anyone for agreeing to that.
"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

Online da man

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 06:17:23 PM »
It amazes me that companies would pay money like that for unattributed voiceovers. Do people really recognize voices like that in ads, when they might not be expecting George Clooney or whoever? I have no idea whose voice in on a commercial. I want to say James Earl Jones might have done one, but I'm not sure and I couldn't begin to tell you what it was for. Now that someone mentioned it, it strikes me that Morgan Freeman is the voice on those Go World ads (those are for Visa, right?). But all those names mentioned earlier? Didn't have a clue.

Offline Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L)

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 06:21:32 PM »
Harpo Marx never did a voice over. He had integrity
http://large-regular.blogspot.com

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

"No fear. No envy. No meanness." --Liam Clancy to Bob Dylan

Offline Brian

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
Ah, to have been born with Mason Adams' voice. That man never had to work a day in his life if he didn't want to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_gEyg7Nt8

My current favorite voiceover guy  is Ken Hudson Campbell.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:34:54 PM by Brian »

Online Flip Wilson

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 09:35:03 PM »
Harpo Marx never did a voice over. He had integrity

A clip of Harpo Marx talking about playing piano in a brothel.

http://harpomarx.net/harpotalking1.mp3

Offline JR

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
I never really saw the attraction for Julia Roberts. Seriously. There are dozens and dozens of women in Hollywood better looking with better personalities.

What do her looks and personality have to do with her acting abilities?

She may not be Meryl Streep but she's done some fine work.
Mayor Rob Ford's brother Doug:  “You can be racist against people that eat little red apples, you can be racist against people that have a drinking problem, you can be racist against people that are too fat.”

English is fun!

Offline Versatile

• The ghost slips away.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »

What do her looks and personality have to do with her acting abilities?

She may not be Meryl Streep but she's done some fine work.

I think, in her prime, Roberts was more popular with women than men. But she did have this going for her:

They're called boobs, Ed.
"Things have only gone downhill. But I'm still playing my violin on the Titanic." — I Should Coco