1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackS

JackS Member

I condemn what he did. I just don't buy this "no shades of gray" stuff.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Junior high kids are told not to copy-and-paste from Wikipedia. There may be shades of gray, but the end result still should be a pink slip.

3. JackS

JackS Member

Well, I don't agree. Except as I said earlier, that this could be used as a last straw following previous transgressions. There are other punishments available for "lesser crimes," just as there are in the judicial system. It doesn't have to be "pink slip or nothing."

I've been plagiarized in what I consider a much worse way and I didn't call for anyone's head.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If journalists don't thnk plagiarism is a fireable offense, especially considering Hoppes' position and the amount of times he did it, they don't deserve to work in the business.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'm guessing this is AutoCorrect at work, but it's wonderful.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So those defending (for lack of a better word) Hoppes in this, if a student is caught plagiarizing Wiki on a term paper should he get an F? If it's on his Masters thesis, should he still get the advanced degree?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well ... Fireball Roberts was banned for trying to start a drivers union, so there is some precedent ...

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Possibly.

But getting an "F" is not getting expelled.

Getting fired is getting expelled.

"Should the student be expelled?" is the proper question to continue the analogy.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In most journalism schools, multiple instances of plagiarism, even on a small scale, would lead to immediately expulsion.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The proper parallel would be if a student were caught plagiarizing Wikipedia 17 times in three months. It's hard to imagine them being allowed to continue. (In this parallel, said student is not in Bristol, Conn.)

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's not just Wikipedia, either. When Hoppes needs background info, he cuts and pastes. There's no instinct to attempt to rewrite. Case in point from last week:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/trending/post/_/id/4718/2-athletes-are-part-of-historys-picked-off

Hoppes: "A professional auctioneer and appraiser for Duane Merrill & Co., Ethan Merrill has conducted more than 300 auctions and appraisals. He pitched for the Boston Red Sox organization for four seasons before returning to his roots in the auction and appraisal business."

History.com's Merrill bio page on the show:
    http://www.history.com/shows/picked-off/bios/ethan-and-todd-merrill
    "A professional auctioneer and appraiser for Duane Merrill & Co., Ethan Merrill has conducted more than 300 auctions and appraisals," ... "pitched for the Boston Red Sox organization for four seasons before returning to his roots in the auction and appraisal business."

He cuts. He pastes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.