Author Topic: Paging Lynn Hoppes ...  (Read 30683 times)

Offline Double J

• Yes, please. :)
Re: Paging Lynn Hoppes ...
« Reply #225 on: July 16, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »
Plagerism is plagerism be it in a blog, term paper, news report. He has no excuse.

"I don't care how bizarre Debbie Gibson looks sometimes. She is still Debbie Gibson. If you were a teenaged boy from 1987 thru 1989, she is still on the perpetual list of five." - BYH

"If rock and roll were a sport, it would be hockey." - Michael Ontkean

Offline mediaguy

• I love SportsJournalis ts.com!
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2012, 03:44:04 AM »
The proper parallel would be if a student were caught plagiarizing Wikipedia 17 times in three months. It's hard to imagine them being allowed to continue. (In this parallel, said student is not in Bristol, Conn.)

Offline mediaguy

• I love SportsJournalis ts.com!
« Reply #227 on: July 17, 2012, 03:52:19 AM »
It's not just Wikipedia, either. When Hoppes needs background info, he cuts and pastes. There's no instinct to attempt to rewrite. Case in point from last week:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/trending/post/_/id/4718/2-athletes-are-part-of-historys-picked-off

Hoppes: "A professional auctioneer and appraiser for Duane Merrill & Co., Ethan Merrill has conducted more than 300 auctions and appraisals. He pitched for the Boston Red Sox organization for four seasons before returning to his roots in the auction and appraisal business."

History.com's Merrill bio page on the show:
http://www.history.com/shows/picked-off/bios/ethan-and-todd-merrill
"A professional auctioneer and appraiser for Duane Merrill & Co., Ethan Merrill has conducted more than 300 auctions and appraisals," ... "pitched for the Boston Red Sox organization for four seasons before returning to his roots in the auction and appraisal business."

He cuts. He pastes.

Offline Ace

« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2012, 04:49:56 AM »
It's not just Wikipedia, either. When Hoppes needs background info, he cuts and pastes. There's no instinct to attempt to rewrite. Case in point from last week:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/trending/post/_/id/4718/2-athletes-are-part-of-historys-picked-off

Hoppes: "A professional auctioneer and appraiser for Duane Merrill & Co., Ethan Merrill has conducted more than 300 auctions and appraisals. He pitched for the Boston Red Sox organization for four seasons before returning to his roots in the auction and appraisal business."

"A professional auctioneer and appraiser for Duane Merrill & Co., Ethan Merrill has conducted more than 300 auctions and appraisals," ... "pitched for the Boston Red Sox organization for four seasons before returning to his roots in the auction and appraisal business."

He cuts. He pastes.

Maybe if they just changed his title to "scrapbooker" everyone would be happy.
You still bring it, Ace -- Lugnuts

I'm actually audibly laughing -- fishwrapper

Offline Riptide

« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

(How convenient to pretend not to see this thread.)

RIP SF_Express.

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

I doubt he's pretending he hasn't seen it. I'm guessing his bosses said "Hey, no public comments on this, at all."

Wouldn't yours?
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Offline Tom Petty

« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

I doubt he's pretending he hasn't seen it. I'm guessing his bosses said "Hey, no public comments on this, at all."

Wouldn't yours?

or it's just plain difficult to defend, ya know, copying and pasting other people's work.

Offline Riptide

« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »

No public comments? Well, that's convenient, too.

RIP SF_Express.

Offline 21

« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2012, 09:04:55 AM »
No question a lot of folks would like to hear Hoppes address this, but demanding he do so on SJ.com just seems silly.

Offline Stitch

• Who's going to win the World Bowl?
« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »
No question a lot of folks would like to hear Hoppes address this, but demanding he do so on SJ.com just seems silly.

I don't think Hoppes should address it. It's up to ESPN and APSE to do so.

Online Inky_Wretch

• "No one cares about your fantasy team." [/spnited]
« Reply #235 on: July 17, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »

I'm sure ESPN's ombuds will have some quotes from him when they write about this. And I expect that article to hit any second now.
Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice.

Offline MileHigh

• Global Moderator
  • --30--
« Reply #236 on: July 17, 2012, 09:08:11 AM »
He hasn't logged into the site since the morning this story broke. Not to say he hasn't seen this thread while logged out, but whenever I come to the site, I'm already logged in, as I suspect most everyone else is as well.
They don't have to do this. Everybody knows the arithmetic. We get the annual reports. Several parts of their company are doing very well. The Rocky had a tough year. They decided to walk away. Basically, my feeling is they quit on us. They quit on everybody in the newsroom. -- Jeff Legwold, Rocky

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #237 on: July 17, 2012, 09:08:41 AM »
Not me. Mine logs me out after six hours, even if I forget to log out.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Offline SportsGuyBCK

• Why ask why? Because it's our job, DAMMIT!
« Reply #238 on: July 17, 2012, 09:11:28 AM »

He cuts. He pastes.

He scores a big paycheck ...

Offline Jake_Taylor

« Reply #239 on: July 17, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »
One thing I don't get, when you are doing that job and you don't want to rewrite stuff like that for whatever reason, why not just link to it and be done?

Offline BurnsWhenIPee

« Reply #240 on: July 17, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »
He hasn't logged into the site since the morning this story broke. Not to say he hasn't seen this thread while logged out, but whenever I come to the site, I'm already logged in, as I suspect most everyone else is as well.

And he hasn't written anything for ESPN or Tweeted anything since last week's ESPYs.

Vacation?

Offline 1HPGrad

« Reply #241 on: July 17, 2012, 10:11:40 AM »
I'll just write his response.
He can cut and paste it next week.

Offline Drip

« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »

And he hasn't written anything for ESPN or Tweeted anything since last week's ESPYs.

Vacation?
Comp time.

Offline waterytart

« Reply #243 on: July 17, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »

Worth a quote.
We've got Moses, Groucho and Joey Ramone.  How wrong can we be? -- my husband

Offline SockPuppet

• You'll get nothing, and like it!
« Reply #244 on: July 18, 2012, 07:13:55 AM »
Here's my take:

(Following the Lynn Hoppes Journalism 101 Playbook).
Be quick but don't hurry.
Don't confuse activity for achievement.
“CAN YOU STOP TRYING TO WRITE LIKE CHARLIE PIERCE, BECAUSE YOU FUCKING CAN’T.” (anonymous Esquire editor)

Offline Drip

« Reply #245 on: July 18, 2012, 07:19:47 AM »
All is quiet on the ESPN front.

Online Inky_Wretch

• "No one cares about your fantasy team." [/spnited]
« Reply #246 on: July 19, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »
Quick, everybody clean up a bit because we're going to get some company.

http://deadspin.com/5926978/lynn-hoppes-copies-press-releases-too
Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice.

Offline Drip

« Reply #247 on: July 19, 2012, 08:33:30 AM »

The ESPN apology was the first I've seen. With this new allegation, I say get this guy out of Bristol on the first thing smoking.

Online TyWebb

• "By height."
« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2012, 08:38:46 AM »

The ESPN apology was the first I've seen. With this new allegation, I say get this guy out of Bristol on the first thing smoking.

Wouldn't this still fall under "journalistic laziness"? I'm not saying he shouldn't be canned (he should), but if they didn't fire him for ripping off Wikipedia, why would they do it for this? It seems like the same kind of transgression, just further proof of his "laziness".
A mixed martial artist of journalism.

Online BTExpress

• Из России с любовью
« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2012, 08:42:44 AM »
Mizuno bestows the samurai sword honor to recognize the most significant athletic achievements of its Mizuno ambassadors, like Cain's perfect game against the Houston Astros last Wednesday.

Well, he did apparently remove the unneeded hyphen from "most-significant", so give him credit for that.

I'm not a Commie. I just sleep with one.