Author Topic: USA Today reporter, editor jobs - NFL, NBA, MLB, college, etc.  (Read 43977 times)

Offline bbb1978

USA Today, for those who don't already know, has a bootload of Reporter and Editor jobs covering the NFL, NBA, MLB, fantasy, golf, blogs, etc.
You are all welcome. ~  ;)

http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobseeker/Jobs/JobResults.aspx?IPath=QH&ch=&rs=&_ctl0%3ANavBar1%3AucQuickBar%3As_rawwords=USA+Today&_ctl0%3ANavBar1%3AucQuickBar%3As_freeloc=Virginia&_ctl0%3ANavBar1%3AucQuickBar%3As_jobtypes=JN047&qsbButton=Find+Jobs

Offline zagoshe

• Steelers are no better than Bengals!!!! Ha Ha Ha
Re: USA Today reporter, editor jobs - NFL, NBA, MLB, college, etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:30:56 PM »
Does it seem strange that on one page there is a thread about how the USA Today is cutting out everything, laying off people, consolidating stuff - and on this jobs board it is advertising something like 50 open jobs?
Vanderbilt before Jay Cutler - 12-33
Vanderbilt with Jay Cutler - 11-34
Vanderbilt after Jay Cutler - 18-27
'Nuff said

Offline MileHigh

• Global Moderator
  • --30--
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
Dave Morgan indicated in a Q-and-A that after all was said and done, there would be a net increase in positions at USAT, so no, this does not seem strange at all.
They don't have to do this. Everybody knows the arithmetic. We get the annual reports. Several parts of their company are doing very well. The Rocky had a tough year. They decided to walk away. Basically, my feeling is they quit on us. They quit on everybody in the newsroom. -- Jeff Legwold, Rocky

Offline Gold

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:13:08 PM »

This Supreme Court reporter job they talk about on the second page - Is that basketball or tennis?  :)

Offline TGO157

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:55:01 PM »

This Supreme Court reporter job they talk about on the second page - Is that basketball or tennis?  :)

Well done.

Offline fleishman

• Good Answer, I Like the Way You Think..
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:49:19 PM »
applied for the baseball one Tuesday, so we'll see what happens.

Offline the_lorax

• Mister! he said with a sawdusty sneeze,
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:41:46 PM »
Anyone have any idea what something like this would pay? They ask for salary expectation, and it occurred to me I don't really know where "blog editor" would slot. Along the lines of a print reporter, or more like an editor? What about after USA Today's reorganization? I'm uneasy about the salary question on job applications anyway, but this time it's especially confounding.
I believe in God, karma and that one day, it will be my team's turn to win a World Series.

Offline fleishman

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »
I put 45,000. I figured that's reasonable enough for a starting point without sounding high, but who knows if I'll even get a response. Most of my baseball experience is on a freelance basis, so that might not be good enough.

Offline wicked

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 06:34:31 AM »
If that position is based in McLean, $45K won't get you very far. Just saying.

Offline fleishman

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 07:09:19 AM »
I'm sure it won't, just like I'm sure I won't get a response.

Offline Mark2010

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »
If that position is based in McLean, $45K won't get you very far. Just saying.

Well, crap. Stuff is just too damn expensive then.

Offline Pop Pop in the attic

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »
I'm sort of embarrassed to have to ask this, but I followed the link and went through the process of applying for one of the openings that I thought was the best fit for me. There are a few others I'd be interested in as well, but when I go to apply for those it already has my resume and cover letter preloaded and ready to go.

The cover letter was written specifically for that one job. So if I write a new one and upload it, will it be attached to every application I have submitted?  Anyone understand what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Cyrus

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 09:07:48 PM »
Who would actually want to live in McLean on $45k? What a waste.

I can't wait for the Silver Line to get out to Tysons. That is going to be awesome if WMATA doesn't F it up.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:09:25 PM by Cyrus »
"Obviously you don't know who the FUCK I am. The name's Cyrus. CYRUS. And I don't give a fuck who you are."

Offline CNY

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 07:37:53 AM »
Folks on the print side at USAT make much more than 45K. Will the reorg bring the online producer/editors' pay up? I doubt it, but you never know.

Offline wicked

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 08:54:04 AM »
You couldn't live in McLean on $45K, but there are plenty of surrounding areas that are more affordable. I made about $50K when I worked in McLean, and I lived in Alexandria pretty comfortably.

Yeah but until the Silver Line is opened it's a hellish commute in traffic about two-thirds of the day. And the closest Silver Line stop will be about a mile away from USA Today's building.

Offline steveu

• It's gotta be baseball season somewhere
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »
How long before Silver Line is finished? I stayed out by Reston on a spring trip last year and it was a mess.
"Good, clean, wholesome fun!" -- Daffy Duck in "The Ducksters"

Offline Stitch

• Who's going to win the World Bowl?
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »
How long before Silver Line is finished? I stayed out by Reston on a spring trip last year and it was a mess.

Phase I to Reston should be done next year. I've heard Phase II past Dulles is scheduled to be done by 2018.

Offline the_lorax

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »
The cover letter was written specifically for that one job. So if I write a new one and upload it, will it be attached to every application I have submitted?  Anyone understand what I'm talking about?

If you click on the link for your old cover letter on the new application, it gives you an option to replace it with another. I'm assuming (and hoping) that means you can change it for each individual application. If that makes any sense.
I believe in God, karma and that one day, it will be my team's turn to win a World Series.

Offline Precious Roy

• R.I.P The Bandit
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »
See I think that the jobs should be farmed out to people not just in Virginia. I would apply to the college football job in an instant if there was a chance they would let me stay where I am in the heart of Big 12 country and just use my home as a hub around the area and the country. I think it would be cheaper then getting someone to come to Virginia then send them out weekly to the ends of the landscape, but that's just me.
2009 - SJ.com NCAA Tournament Pick 'Em champion
2009- SJ.com Keepers fantasy baseball champion

Offline the_lorax

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »
Was sort of thinking the same thing, though if these are really blog "editor" positions, they're going to want you close to the mothership, and you probably won't be doing that much traveling, anyway.

Offline Piotr Rasputin

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »

Phase I to Reston should be done next year. I've heard Phase II past Dulles is scheduled to be done by 2018.

This is not correct.

Stage One was conducted in the laboratory. Stage Two will be attempted in a lifeless underground.  Stage Three will involve the process on a planetary scale.
"Please God, save me from heehaws pretending to be journalists." - Dr. Z

"I'd just love to have the final, fatal battle over there sometime today. I'm absolutely itching for it."

"You small, petty, shitstain. You f$#%ing ferret. You failure. You f$#%ing failure ferret."

Offline Pop Pop in the attic

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »
The cover letter was written specifically for that one job. So if I write a new one and upload it, will it be attached to every application I have submitted?  Anyone understand what I'm talking about?

If you click on the link for your old cover letter on the new application, it gives you an option to replace it with another. I'm assuming (and hoping) that means you can change it for each individual application. If that makes any sense.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping too, but I just didn't think it was clear. When I applied for the job I thought might be a good fit for me I included a line that basically said if they wanted to talk to me about the other jobs I would be happy to listen. I wonder if that is enough.

Offline sprtswrtr10

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 11:46:45 PM »
Any idea if all of these jobs presume relocation?

Offline geddymurphy

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 01:04:20 PM »
Folks on the print side at USAT make much more than 45K. Will the reorg bring the online producer/editors' pay up? I doubt it, but you never know.

Not all of them. And my guess is that they're going to keep the online producer/editors' pay down and save the dough for the big names.

That said, $45K isn't horrible for NoVa. (Even McLean itself has less expensive parts.) Unless you're the sole bread-winner in a family of four, in which case you'll be stretching yourself thin. If your spouse has a decent job, you're fine.

THAT said, if Morgan and Byrne aren't even based in Tysons, why would they demand it of anyone else?

Offline Fran Curci

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »
where are Morgan and Byrne based?