Author Topic: RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke  (Read 32772 times)

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke
« on: May 29, 2012, 12:31:16 PM »
It is with tremendous sadness I bring you some awful news - Craig Stanke has died.

Craig was a deputy managing editor at CBSSports.com.  He was one of the best people I ever met.  He was one of the best journalists I knew.  He was perhaps our most respected member.

It was not much of a secret.  Craig posted here as SF_Express.

Will post arrangements as soon as I have them.

A couple of other threads were started earlier.  We removed those and we appreciate the understanding of those who started them.  We'd been asked by CBS to hold off until some family members could be notified and we of course respected that.

The entire world, not just our world, is a much poorer place today.  This is very, very sad news

Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade. - Vernon Law

www.si.com

Offline Lucas Wiseman

• Webby
  • Administrator
Re: RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:32:31 PM »
This is awful news and all of us here at SportsJournalists.com send our condolences to his family and the folks he worked with over the years. He was a great contributor to the site and we will miss him greatly.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:34:35 PM by Lucas Wiseman »

Offline steveu

• It's gotta be baseball season somewhere
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
Aw, Moddy... terrible, terrible news indeed. My condolences to his family and friends.
"Good, clean, wholesome fun!" -- Daffy Duck in "The Ducksters"

Offline blacktitleist

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »
Wow.

R.I.P.

And, thank you.

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
I've cried while reading posts, this may be the first time I cried while posting.  It is said too easily when people die that they were great and all that.   Craig was great, in just about every way.   His posts were him, through and through.   One of my great memories was a night in Ft. L when CBS brought in the original editors for their Rapid Reports project.  We went to one of Craig's favorite hangouts. I could have listened to his stories all night.

Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade. - Vernon Law

www.si.com

Online HanSenSE

• Holy Toledo!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »
RIP ... although it doesn't seem like enough.
This ain't the school yearbook. We publish every day.

"You're a baseball fan, not a Labrador." - Mike Krukow.

"That's the ball game ... I'm gonna barf." Duane Kuiper

Online Ryan_Sonner

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 12:36:04 PM »
Wow. Awful.

RIP.
"I put two seconds thought into that statement." -- 93Devil

"Some of you come off as really awful people, you know that?" -- Dick Whitman

"We fight our battles with ideas in my house." -- Dick Whitman

Offline MileHigh

• Global Moderator
  • --30--
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
This is crushing. Never met Craig, but knew of him and interacted with him here a lot. A true journalist who I found agreeing with on virtually everything about the business. Earlier this year, we were on the opposite side of a running debate that I posted something to the effect, "I'm disagreeing for the second time with SF that I need to take a break from here and rethink things."

A giant on this board who will be sorely missed.

RIP.
They don't have to do this. Everybody knows the arithmetic. We get the annual reports. Several parts of their company are doing very well. The Rocky had a tough year. They decided to walk away. Basically, my feeling is they quit on us. They quit on everybody in the newsroom. -- Jeff Legwold, Rocky

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:37:09 PM »
I was thinking of Craig after I got the phone call today. I remembered this post he made on Ron's RIP thread.

There are times when being "old school" can be a handicap in this much-changed media world we've found ourselves in, but no matter how much things have changed, there's still a lot to be said for many of the basics. Ron was a basics kind of guy, and he was a good counterbalance to all the crap we now find ourselves dealing with on a regular basis.

Figured that just about summed up Craig. There was no one on this site after Ron died I respected more than Craig. I always assumed we'd meet up some day.

My best thoughts to all those he's left behind.

RIP.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Online Double Down

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »
This is awful. SF was truly one of best people here to talk about journalism with, and thus, life. Very crushed to hear this news.
Trying to be the lantern in the swamp.

Offline Small Town Guy

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 12:39:09 PM »
Oh, no.

I think I got something out of every post he ever made here. Did not have the chance to know him in real life and my thoughts are with all of you who did.

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »
I also can't emphasize enough how appreciative I am of lantaur and hondo understanding the situation about the threads they started.  Certainly wasn't trying to "scoop" them with something like this - this is very recent and CBS wanted to be sure his family knew.  Craig knew so many people in so many places and no one wanted to have someone, without meaning harm, to call his sister and offer condolences before she knew.

This is a big strong kick to the gut for all of us.  This was a guy who loved the business, loved every bit of it.  Loved talking about the business.  Hell, just loved talking to people.  He just did a half marathon!    He called not long ago to talk about someone CBS was considering and it was 30 minutes before we got on topic.   A wonderful, wonderful guy.

www.si.com

Offline 21

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »
I literally stopped breathing when I saw Lucas tweet about this a few minutes ago.  I cannot believe it.

Can anyone say what happened??  He was a huge workout guy, running and doing all kinds of great things.

Craig was one of the true SJ greats, for all the right reasons.

I just don't know what to say.  Heartbroken and so so deeply sad for his family.  RIP, my friend.

Zeke12

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »
Dammit, this is awful news.

One of the most thoughtful posters here.

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »
21, they think it was a heart attack.  Went for a run, didn't feel well, went to lie down.  Again, this is all very fresh so no one knows for sure yet.  Will post details when I have them, am going to try and make the service.

www.si.com

Offline Colton

• You guys playin' cards?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 12:45:43 PM »
I was thinking of Craig after I got the phone call today. I remembered this post he made on Ron's RIP thread.

There are times when being "old school" can be a handicap in this much-changed media world we've found ourselves in, but no matter how much things have changed, there's still a lot to be said for many of the basics. Ron was a basics kind of guy, and he was a good counterbalance to all the crap we now find ourselves dealing with on a regular basis.

Figured that just about summed up Craig. There was no one on this site after Ron died I respected more than Craig. I always assumed we'd meet up some day.

My best thoughts to all those he's left behind.

RIP.

Perfect, IJAG. Just perfect.

Best to Craig's family and friends.

RIP...
You're gonna need a bigger boat

Cut me, Mick!

Definition of a wolverine: A badger with VD

Offline Cosmo

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
This is awful. SF was truly one of best people here to talk about journalism with, and thus, life. Very crushed to hear this news.

Can't do any better than this. Just crushing. Thoughts to his family.
In recent days I've begun to compare this job to like being in an abusive marriage. The business keeps going all Chris Brown on me, and I know it's better for my health if I leave ... but I've just got nowhere else to go. -- Some Guy

Offline Alma

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »
Didn't know him. Respected his posts. Respected his Web site, too. Prayers.

Go hug somebody you care about. Or call them up.
"Your hiding place isn't watertight. Life trickles in from the outside, and you're forced to react."

Offline 21

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
He tweeted yesterday morning that he made a last minute decision to run a 5K after running 10 miles Saturday and 6 miles Sunday.

So fucking unfair.

Care Bear

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »
I think I got something out of every post he ever made here. Did not have the chance to know him in real life and my thoughts are with all of you who did.

Exactly. My thoughts are with his family and friends. A tremendous loss.

Offline Frank_Ridgeway

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
RIP, Craig.

This was an unusual friendship for me, entirely online for about 10 years and only half the time about journalism. The only phone conversation we had was 22 years ago when I asked him for a job at the LAT.

Offline Gehrig

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »
I didn't know, Craig, but, he did say this about me yesterday:

I can't think of a single bad thing to say about Gehrig, right up to and including his namesake.

I can't believe he's gone.

RIP
"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. "

Muhammad Ali

Offline Bob Cook

• I love SportsJournalists.com!
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:25 PM »
Just awful, awful news. I enjoyed reading his posts, and while I never met Craig, we also emailed in the past about sports blogging. I valued my (very limited) time with him. RIP.
"You, sir, are an example of what's wrong with this country and this profession and quite frankly are the worst example of a human being I have ever encountered. You have no soul." -- DeskMonkey1, to me

Offline fishwrapper

• Today's news, tomorrow's...
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:34 PM »
I miss SF_Express. I miss Craig more. Damn.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." -Marion Morrison

Offline Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!

• "Mom," he says. He pauses. "Someone tea-bagged me.
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
Never knew him, but interacted with him on the journo and sports board. He was a Voice that will be sorely missed here.

R.I.P. ain't enough.

"If Jesus Christ were to show up with His old baseball glove, some guys wouldn't vote for Him. He dropped the cross three times, didn't He?"
Dick Young