1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Dress Code?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Dec 6, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To repeat, because, well, I feel like repeating: It's not that the rules are unreasonable (they're very reasonable), it's about who's imposing them. So that would be my (minor) bitch, although I've read some compelling arguments about MLB's right to do so on this very thread.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There have definitely been some posters who feel like the rules themselves are unreasonable.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So if a guy writes an unfair column, or misquotes somebody or asks an idiotic question, that's your problem? Why can't you be the guy who writes fair columns, doesn't misquote people and doesn't ask idiotic questions? If you cover a beat regularly, the people you cover know who the idiots are and who the pros are.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To some extent, yes, an unfair story or a bad question reflects on everyone. That's old ground and I really don't think that needs much explanation, but I think we've all had the experience of getting harangued for something someone else wrote.

Not wanting to be lumped in with slobs, for the people who care the minimum amount to put on a collared shirt, is not an unreasonable request.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

I'm with Smasher. I think the vast majority of slobby guys will never come into contact with a dress code enforcer. This is really about what women wear. The giveaway is, nobody wears muscle shirts. That's just thrown in there to make it seem like it applies to men as well.

This from the AP story:

"The skimpy attire worn by some of the TV reporters covering the Marlins in Miami drew particular scrutiny."

I'm gonna bet that skimpy attire wasn't a banana hammock.

6. Susan Slusser

Susan Slusser Member

Because I was on the committee, I'll post real quickly while I try to avoid winter-meetings lobby duty: These are guidelines, and it's not clear how enforceable they might be. They are all common-sense requests. I am surprised at how much attention this is getting, because when I was on the committee, and when I spoke to the BBWAA yesterday, I never thought it was a really big deal. Nothing is onerous or insulting about this.

I've been asked a lot today if the guidelines are sexist, and I thought throughout the process it was absolutely gender nonspecific. In fact, the shortest and most inappropriate shorts I've ever seen on a reporter were worn by an older male columnist during spring training, year after year: tiny little dolphin shorts, every day, every spring, and it was terribly inappropriate. Horrifying, in fact.

We could do better. There was one media member in flip-flops at the World Series last season.

The dress-code preferences extend to all media, including camerapeople, still and video, and you all know that bunch can be hit-and-miss - and they are right on the field, where MLB might particularly prefer not to have a group of credentialed people in cutoff jean shorts, logo shirts and hats, and flip-flops.

Also, guidelines, as someone noted above, provide a way for a PR person to communicate an attire issue without awkwardness (or appearing sexist or just mean) - the guidelines will go out to sports editors and TV directors when credentials are issued, they'll be published in the media guide, and if someone is a major offender or a repeat offender, the outlet can get a friendly reminder than there are preferred dress guidelines.

I seriously doubt that anyone, ever, will have a credential lifted or be expelled from an event for inappropriate attire, unless they're really R-rated or barefoot or something absolutely nuts.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ever read comments on a newspaper website?

We are lumped together. Geez.

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I think we all know who wears those teeny tiny blue shorts! And even if the concerns lean more toward the female gender, after speaking with various media relations folks from most sports (but especially NFL and MLB), I can understand their frustrations. Some thought they risked being called perverts or harassers if they dared tell a female media type (always TV) that she wasn't dressed appropriately.

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

No more muscle shirts? That was the whole reason I entered the biz. F*ck these rules!

10. Susan Slusser

Susan Slusser Member

I think Bobcat BB can back me up on the male columnist with the teeny shorts. I believe everyone who saw those things was scarred for life.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ah, so that's the standard now? The same idiots who are convinced that every network announcer hates their favorite team and every referee/umpire is out to screw their team?

Yeah, a collared shirt and wing tips are going to change a lot of minds with that group.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK. So let's wear torn T-shirts and flip-flops and seal the deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted