1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Armstrong Out at Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Nov 5, 2011.

1. Jim Armstrong s out at the Denver Post. Not sure if he left on his own or was asked to leave. My guess is that it is connected to this gambling probe.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_19269398

I hope it wasn't. Every pro game is against a spread and why should people like Swami Chris Berman and others be employed under one set of rules and others under a different set.

I am also troubled by the police using a 12-step program as a point of departure in the investigation.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wowzer.

And it's certainly connected to the probe and not the buyouts currently offered.

Armstrong, who had an online account with the password "cheese," sometimes combined his wagers with those of Chris Fuselier, the managing partner of Blake Street Tavern, according to the indictment. The document does not list a weekly limit for either man. Fuselier did not return a call seeking comment. Armstrong, who worked for The Post for 27 years and had most recently been covering the Colorado Rockies​, declined to comment. He left the paper Friday.

"Readers have to believe and trust that all of us at The Denver Post cover events impartially and without a stake in the outcome," said Gregory L. Moore, editor of The Post. "We take this very seriously."

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

good for them for taking a stand...even if it had to be against a long-time employee.

4. ARR

ARR New Member

Why is the password to his account relevant?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just an interesting detail. Isn't cheese slang for money?

6. ARR

ARR New Member

Hadn't thought of that. Took it more in relation to his being from Wisconsin.

Either way, seems unnecessary.

I understand why he had to go, but the whole thing is messy. Feel bad for the guy.

7. Moderator1

could be the Wisconsin thing, too. As noted, just an interesting detail.

8. ARR

ARR New Member

Oh, I'm sure there was a crapload of interesting ancillary information that could have gone in the story. Felt out of place to me is all.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You could overload on that info, certainly. But I hooked onto that too as a solid reporting detail.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

agreed with playthrough...sprinkle some of those unknowns into an article and it adds a lot.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

At a paper I worked at years ago, the beat guy at a competitor paper was betting on the team he was covering, and he was really loud about it and in his anger when it did something that screwed with his bets. It was known to all.

So we, the rival paper, finally wrote a story about it and about the team's concern with his gambling activities. Tough story, but we wrote and filed it and edited it and had it ready to go.

But it got killed at the publisher to publisher level (or almost, maybe top editor to top editor) and never saw the light of day.

12. Moderator1

What happened to the writer?

Draft saved Draft deleted