1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo levels Miami

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

By now, you've seen it: http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=AhpQ0r00UmIAgJ84.kFOXXs7MuB_?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

Yahoo's been responsible for breaking a serious chunk of almost every major college scandal in recent years, but they owned this one on a ridiculous level. So thorough. And it seemed -- and I no longer cover college football, so I could be wrong -- that no one saw it coming despite an 11-month investigation.

I don't mean to sound like a shill for Yahoo, but they're pushing investigative journalism harder than any other sports media organization right now:

1. Miami football -- entirely them breaking this story so far, though it's only a day old.
    2. Oregon football -- they had all the essential pieces.
    3. Ohio State football -- they and the Columbus Dispatch did most of the dirty work, with SI filling in key holes
    4. USC football/basketball -- they were at the forefront, though this case was so complex it seemed every national media organization filled in holes here
    5. UConn basketball -- this was largely there scandal from the get-go
    6. Kansas basketball -- the ticketing scandal was entirely broken by Yahoo

What is Yahoo doing that others aren't? Clearly, these stories are the very best ways to draw ridiculous traffic while producing quality, important sports journalism. I have a hard time believing it's just a matter of Charles Robinson being better than everyone else, particularly since, while it seems he's been the lynchpin in most of these investigations, Jason King, Dan Wetzel, Rand Getlin and others have been very much involved.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3124138/

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That thread seems to focus on the ramifications to Miami; I'd be more interested in a discussion on the reporting (thus the placement on the journalism board). However, I can fully understand why a moderator might want to close this thread.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The U will NOT get the death penalty. End of thread.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wellllll . . . for a start . . . they're not eternally beholden to the cesspools in question.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yahoo! is definitely doing a lot of admirable, thankless work. My fear is that this is niche work because people want to be fed cotton candy for their sports coverage -- they want to be lied to.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Fans of teams in trouble want to be lied to. But for every U fan traumatized by this, you have FSU and UF fans who want more. That should help a national outlet like Yahoo, which also isn't in bed with the NCAA.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It was more than just that story. The probe has its own tab/page off the main Yahoo! Sports front.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations;_ylt=AnWBrY5crJRHGjJDc2M_Cm45nYcB

Scroll down. There is a link to to every player and coach and personnel accused by Shapiro of taking stuff. Each link lists the allegations of what was taken, corroborating accounts and the person's response when contacted by Yahoo!.

It's breathtaking in its scope and depth.

And what are they doing differently? They're devoting money, resources and time to these big-time projects. They have smart, bright editors at the top who are asking the right/tough questions and their reporters are dogged and know what they're doing.

Also, they don't have the obvious conflicts of interest that say ESPN has because they're not in bed with these teams and leagues because they don't televise their events. Because bringing down these programs would hurt the TV side's bottom line, and has been mentioned earlier on a different thread, TV runs the mothership.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree with this. I applaud Yahoo for doing the work that SI doesn't seem to do anymore.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Where does their revenue come from? Ads are few and small.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interesting question. They used to charge for fantasy baseball and football, but don't anymore.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted