1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times bloodletting reportedly gets a big one -- Mark Heisler

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jul 27, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So says L.A. Observed. And more on the way.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2011/07/big-name_layoffs_begin_at.php

One of my favorite NBA writers who has been at the Times since the early 1980s.

Wow.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Damn it. I'd worried for awhile that Heisler might someday be let go, figuring higher-ups might think, "Why do we have a general NBA columnist?" A ton of institutional history is lost, especially when it comes to the Lakers. He'd seen it all, from the Showtime years to the end of the second Phil Jackson era, and could always tie everything together. Hopefully he'll land somewhere else, nba.com, or something like that.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Crap. This is horrible. I loved Heisler's work.

4. MileHigh

Yup, that's a major loss, and the Lakers are the No. 1 beat in that town. Yes, he is/was the general NBA columnist, but he writes a lot on the Lakers. Sucks. Big time. Always read his stuff.

And bracing to hear who else is gone. Have a friend/former co-worker on the sports desk there.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Hearing one other big name, too.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If true, that is seriously effed up. Wow.

But also hearing about some employment turmoil involving other big-name NBA reporters because of the lockout, especially in TV...I wonder if the situation affected Heisler as well, or if this was strictly related to LAT cost-cutting.

Either way, ugh.

7. MileHigh

Got it very reliably that the news is true, that Mark is gone. And the other name I'm hearing ... just shaking my head. Sad, sad day for not just that department but for that paper.

8. MileHigh

And the L.A. Observed post has been updated: Jerry Crowe is out.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I don't like to see any reporter get cut out. That being said, I wasn't a particularly big fan of Crowe's columns - they simply reminded me how good Allan Malamud was.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Holy crap, I thought Crowe's nest was exceptional.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

The Crowe's Nest articles were generally pretty good - I'm talking more about the "Text Message from Press Row" three-dots. And again, it may just be that Mud left a huge shadow (in all aspects, I guess).

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Tribune...it's FAAAAAN-tastic!

Draft saved Draft deleted