1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SID: "We're not claiming to be journalists."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Mar 30, 2011.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/125880/george-washington-u-why-we-didnt-mention-opponents-perfect-game-until-the-7th-graf/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/gw-offers-strong-performance-during-virginias-perfect-game/2011/03/30/AFhbPg2B_blog.html

2. "George Washington finished a strong second in its nonconference baseball game against Virginia on Tuesday, falling just two runs short ... "

Oh, and by the way, somebody at GW should learn the difference between compliment and complement. You're not journalists, and apparently you're not grammarians, either.

;)

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Not surprised by this at all. Flaks come in different shades.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

GW tried really, really hard. Go, team. You'll get 'em next time.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Ogilvie: Well, we committed 24 errors, and their pitcher threw a no hitter against us, but there is some good news...Two of our runners almost managed to get to first base, and we did hit seventeen foul balls!
    Buttermaker: That's the spirit! Cokes and hot dogs on me!

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Damn, Dan beat me to it.

7. ericwbolin

ericwbolin New Member

Are people - journalists, I mean - really that upset at this? I mean, that's what I would expect an SID's office to do.

8. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

I might get crucified, but I see the GWU side of things. I don't agree with it, per se, but I see why they wouldn't mention it at first. OK, maybe wait until third or fourth paragraph but I get why they didn't push it up front.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Dumb, dumb, dumb. And the SID's defense digs the hole deeper.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Poorly handled, but the bottom line is Lubeski is right.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's not a big deal, just silly on the SID's part. Everybody knows that trying to ignore or bury something like that is just going to make it worse.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

Read on over weeks and you'll find "Tojo So and So extended his hitting streak to three games with a single in the fourth. He was 1-for-3 at the plate and is batting .279 for the year with 18 runs scores. In getting the infield single, So and So became the 32,499th State U. Ickewad three-game hit streak in the program history and the 44th in the Coach Primo Dupe era."

Draft saved Draft deleted