1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Phil Jasner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by old_tony, Dec 4, 2010.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sad news that I haven't found anywhere here, but legengary Philadelphia NBA writer Phil Jasner has passed.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/76ers/2010-12-03-jasner-obit_N.htm

I knew Phil well years back. He always had time for you and he was one of the best there was on the NBA.

Condolences to his family -- including son Andy who also is in the business -- friends and colleagues.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

A beat writer's beat writer who had more enthusiasm for his work at the end than many twenty- and thirty-somethings. Loved newspapering, loved the NBA, even loved his paper and his bosses. The "dean" in many ways of the NBA scribblers, always quick to help a colleague with a phone # or a newbie with anything.

Already missed. R.I.P.

3. AD

AD Active Member

this is brutal: a wonderful, generous, impassioned guy, and superb writer/reporter. never big-timed you, not even when you were a useless go-getter from a small paper. i loved the guy. he was the model of how someone in a position of power/influence/prestige should act. a fantastic spirit. godspeed, phil....

4. Roob

Roob New Member

A total pro and a class act. Phil battled this disease with remarkable courage and spirit.

Before I ever met Phil, I learned so much just by watching him cover the 76ers. How to cover a beat. How to ask questions. How to handle a coach. How to write off-day stories. The guy was amazing and tireless. When I started covering the Eagles, I tried to model myself after the way he did it. I never saw anybody cover a team better.

He was an inspiration to a lot of guys coming up through the ranks in Philly, and in a very competitive market on a very competitive beat, you never ever heard a single bad word about Phil. Very dry, low-key sense of humor.

Huge loss.

long-time Daily News colleague Rich Hofmann beautifully remembers Phil: http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/sixers/20101203_Phil_Jasner__Sixers_beat_writer__dies_at_age_68.html

And Dei Lynam on Phil: http://www.csnphilly.com/12/03/10/Longtime-Sixers-beat-writer-Phil-Jasner-/landing_sixers.html?blockID=366095&feedID=694

5. lono

lono Active Member

Truly one of the best beat reporters of this or any other generation and by all accounts a wonderful human being. RIP to Phil and prayers to Andy and his family.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Damn, damn, damn. Phil was about as much sportswriter and newspaperman as there could be. My best to his family.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Phil Taylor wrote on Twitter that Barkley used to call them Black Phil and White Phil, so that's how they addressed each other.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Phil Jasner was the truth and I'm not saying that because we attended the same alma mater. I'm not saying that because we played hoops at the Palestra (he would really hustle after loose balls). He was a good man and a good person. He would help ANY scribe if asked. He was Philadelphia 76ers basketball. Stephen A. Smith would break a few stories but Phil would and could spank his ass on a moment's notice. A member of the Hall of Fame, his passing is truly disheartening. RIP

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

He treated a lowly rookie sports radio reporter extremely well when I started in 1995. First game I ever covered un NBA was exhibition game Toronto vs Philly

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I am so sad about this. Phil was a great guy, and as others have said, treated the newbie and the vet the same. He was always very kind to me, extremely professional and fair. I hadn't seen him in a long time, but we emailed a bit a few months ago. Even though I hadn't dealt with him regularly in years, he responded quickly and made reference to some things that had happened back in old days of working more closely. RIP Phil and all best wishes to his son, Andy, also a sports writer and the rest of Phil's family.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I'm by no means a Sixers fan, but I always made it a point to read Phil's work. One of the best basketball writers ever.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Damn.

One of the nicest guys I've ever met - and he just went about his business with class, dignity and he was one of the best in the business.

RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted