1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Hall of Fame Vote, Post-Mitchell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Amen.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

if he were good enough, sure. but he wasn't. next.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My acid test (and many others) would be this ... to what degree did steroids make them a HOFer?

If, in the case of Bonds and Clemens, there's a clear delineation between roid and pre-roid use, and a HOF case could be made for the pre-roid era, I'd deny them their first-ballot shot as a protest because of its symbolic value, but probably eventually vote them in.

If, in the case of McGwire or Sosa (not named, but widely suspected), a HOF case would be difficult to make taking into account their roid use, they don't get a vote.

That's how I'd do it.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can see the argument for banning anybody who failed a test, though I'm not sure if I agree or not.

But being named in this report is not enough. For some of the people listed, the evidence just isn't solid enough.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the voters will take care of this in their own way. Maybe by not voting those named in the report in their first or second years of eligibility. It's a very murky question.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The confirmed abusers, don't make them eligible for 15 years, instead of 5. That extra 10-year span will be an agonizing punishment for them. If they are still alive after 15 years, then let them be on the ballot. If they're not alive, well, then who cares.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bonds and Clemens belong in the Hall, no questions.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Kurkjian just made a good point on ESPN --- days like this are why the 5-year waiting period exists. We'll probably know a lot more about Bonds and/or Clemens and their involvement with steroids, one way or the other, in five years than we know now.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

If Dale Murphy were getting any, Jim Rice better be on that list for guys who should get into the HOF now.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Does Rice really get no love because he's considered good-but-not-good-enough or because he's a horse's ass?

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

keep the steroids/HGH users out. They were legal in baseball, but illegal in general society. That makes the users of those substances of poor character. If I'm not mistaken good character is one of the criteria for the Hall.

Draft saved Draft deleted