1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashes em

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Aug 11, 2010.

1. blog415

blog415 Member

Here is UFC president Dana White's tweet on twitter bashing the SFgate.com aka San Francisco Chronicle for being rude and not covering the UFC show in Oakland last weekend. The Chronicle rather have women's volleyball coverage and basketball and fishing than talk about the sport that is growing and getting popular.

Dana White - San fran chronicle says they hate UFC and would NEVER cover the UFC and were such rude dickheads to our pr girl. Hey SFC, fuck u!!!! ...San jose mercury, oakland tribune, contra costa times, west county times, valley times and many more thanks 4 ur support!" -Dana White,

I would love to cover MMA for the Chron but they never get back to me when I write to them either. I write about MMA and Bay Area related MMA news right now and it is a great sport.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, at least he was classy about it.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sadly, all those papers White named were represented by one reporter. They're all Singleton.

Anyone else think its funny he calls out the Chron for being "rude dickheads to our pr girl?"

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The UFC: Stamping out rudeness one profane, sexist tweet at a time!

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Soccer is higher on the attention level than MMA. Sorry.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That's Dana White for you. Vulgar and incredibly thin-skinned.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The fucking moron is probably a boxing fan, like that idiot John McCain.

"It's barbaric! Human cock fighting! A bloodsport!" Em, er, what? Have I actually ever SEEN it? Well, no, but ..."

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed. Just his typical routine. It will come back to bite him in the ass one of these days.

9. Yeah, you're right. Soccer was the top trend on Yahoo, Google and Twitter all weekend. Oh no, wait, it was UFC 117.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I believe that it's growing in popularity. I don't believe that its demographics intersect with newspapers'.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's exactly it. MMA is desperate to be covered by newspapers? Really, so how much of the MMA fan base is going to read the recap when there are dozens of MMA sites that write it better? And how much of the existing newspaper readership cares?

12. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I'd say very few SF Chronicle readers care about MMA. It's a sport that appeals to a red state demographic, which the San Francisco Bay Area clearly is not. That said, I think the Chronicle dropped the ball bigtime by not covering it. It's a big enough event held locally to warrant some coverage, and it would been a chance to explain to the rest of us why MMA has so much appeal in other parts of the country. I think getting ink in the Chronicle would have given the sport some legitimacy that probably would help MMA, and was probably a factor in their deciding not to cover it. Could White's tweet have been phrased better, sure, but the paper failed to cover an event that 99 percent of metro dailies would have, and if they really were rude to his flack, I'm with White on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted