1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nats beat writer asks blog readers to send him to spring training

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Feb 9, 2010.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

http://natsinsider.blogspot.com/2010/02/send-mark-to-spring-training_07.html

Mark Zuckerman, formerly of the Washington Times, started a blog in which he covers the Nats, as he did for the newspaper before it axed its sports section. He's apparently gotten a pretty good response in the first week, so he's asked his readers to make donations to fund a trip to spring training, where he can continue covering the team.

He's already raised more than half of the $5,000 he needs.

I sent him 25 bucks. What the hell. I think it'll be cool if he makes it.

2. tmr

tmr Member

Re: Former Nats beat writer asks blog readers to send him to spring training

It's nice to see such a response from his readers. The benefits he's offering donors, daily audio files of manager Jim Riggleman, among others, is a nice touch. But man, if you're spending time listening to 15 minutes of Riggs talking Nats baseball, well, you have a lot of time on your hands.

Now, if you're talking about Ozzie Guillen, then it's different. Ozzie's full pre-game is seriously entertaining. Riggs? Not so much.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

That's cool to see all the support he has. Obviously people do care about beat writers and what they can offer and provide.

Very encouraging.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Did moddy give him the other 2475?

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I've got to give the former Times guys credit.

Some of them are working their asses off through their blogs and Twitter feeds.

If it were me, I would probably give up and try to find a job in some other industry. Clearly, they are taking the opposite strategy.

Here's the big question: Would you feel smarmy taking $5,000 from folks just so you could cover Spring Training? I'd have a hard time spearheading such an effort.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Feel smarmy? Hell no. He's providing a service and people that want it are paying.

Readers ought to feel smarmy for every time they read something online that didn't cost them a dime.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was hilarious.

And he's not the only one doing this. I know another displaced beat writer who started his own blog and is trying to raise the funds to cover his team in ST. Last I knew he was getting close to the goal.

8. tagline

tagline Member

Does two make a trend? Some former Cincy Post guys were doing the same thing.

http://cnati.com/donate-to-cnati/

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great idea. I love it. Mark does a good job and I don't think the donations he's seeking are going to pay him a salary. Just the expenses. I hope he shatters his goal and uses some of the extra to stay with the "beat" during the season - and make a little money for his efforts as well.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The timing of this post is funny. Last night, for shits and giggles, I googled "how to make money by blogging" and one of the five "tips" on one of the pages returned in the search was: Ask for donations.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Very cool idea. Plays into the whole "it only takes a couple hundred dedicated fans to support an artist" deal.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hasn't one of the mid-major basketball writers/bloggers been doing the same thing for a couple years? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Dude must really, really love covering the Nats. Glad to see he's actually getting a response.

Draft saved Draft deleted