Author Topic: NASCAR Citizen Journalists Media Corps  (Read 6452 times)

Offline taz

• How ya doin'?
NASCAR Citizen Journalists Media Corps
« on: July 17, 2009, 12:19:43 PM »
Interesting release from NASCAR, basically announcing they're reaching out to fan-based sites for coverage with traditional media cutting back because of costs, including giving them access to credentials. Should be interesting.

Nearly 30 Web Sites Given Access, Tools To Cover NASCAR

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (July 17, 2009) – The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) today announced the members of the newly-formed “NASCAR Citizen Journalists Media Corps.” This group of new media consists of a range of professional and amateur experience covering NASCAR. One common theme is that each site is dedicated to providing information about NASCAR to a growing readership.

“We have been overwhelmed by the positive response since our initial announcement to form the NASCAR Citizen Journalist Media Corps last month,” said NASCAR Managing Director of Corporate Communications Ramsey Poston. “More voices speaking about NASCAR is good for the sport and is fan friendly. We intend to make the most of the changing media landscape.”

"The National Motorsports Press Association comprises journalists dedicated to informing the public about motorsports,’’ said Dustin Long, president of the NMPA. “We welcome citizen journalists to the media center in hopes that it increases the depth of knowledge of the fan base.’’

“The sport is there, the fans are there, the need for information is there," said Jim Pedley, managing editor of Racintoday.com and NASCAR Citizen Journalists Media Corps member. "As more and more fans turn from newspapers to new sources for their racing information, and as more websites become more professional, NASCAR had to take notice and act. You've got to believe the fans will be the beneficiaries."

After a lengthy review process, which included evaluating independent Web sites on professionalism, reporting and commentary, and use of social networking tools, 28 sites were invited to be part of the new media corps. In addition, NASCAR Public Relations has launched a page on Delicious.com (http://delicious.com/NASCARSays) that provides links to each of the Citizen Journalists web sites.

Members of the corps will have the opportunity to apply for media credentials but like all media, will be expected to abide by the standards of professional conduct (i.e. no autographs, photos with drivers, etc.) They will also have access to other media-driven events and teleconferences and NASCAR’s media-only website. NASCAR will provide access to the information, it’s up to the journalists to tell the story.

The traditional media that cover the sport on a day-to-day basis will continue to be the cornerstone of NASCAR news and information. However, as traditional news coverage continues to decline across the board for all sports, it is important to recognize the emerging media sources that provide unique points of view to growing audiences. 

The Citizen Journalists Media Corps includes:

Autoracing1.com/nascar.asp
Badgroove.com/
Benchracing.onpitrow.com
Bleacherreport.com/nascar
Bump-drafts.com
Catchfence.com
Dalyplanet.blogspot.com
Everyjoe.com/topic/auto-racing
Thefastandthefabulous.com
Finallapradio.com
4ever3blog.com
Frontstretch.com
Greenwhitechecker.typepad.com/greenwhitechecker
Haddockinthepaddock.com
Hardcoreracefans.com
InsiderRacingNews.com
Paddocktalk.com
Racedriven.com
Racejournalonline.com
Racetake.com
Racingnewsdigest.com
Racintoday.com
Rowdy.com
Rubbingsracing.com
Speedwaymedia.com
Thehotlap.com
Theracinggeek.com
TruckSeries.com
For More Information, Contact:
Ramsey Poston, NASCAR Public Relations, (386) 681-4353 or [email protected].

lone star scribe

Re: NASCAR Citizen Journalists Media Corps
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
I can't speak for all of these sites -- haven't visited them all -- but racintoday.com is hardly your couch potato NASCAR writer. The writers there are all seasoned vets of motorsports writing -- Jim Pedley (former KC Star), John Sturbin (former Fort Worth Star-Telegram), Rick Minter (former Atlanta J-C) and Larry Woody (former Nashville Tennesseean).

They were let go when newspapers decided motorsports didn't need beat writers any more. Looks like NASCAR disagrees.

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 02:10:28 PM »
Yeah, some of the sites are legitimate. Some I've never heard of. Some look like they're designed by 7th graders. :D
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Offline Birdscribe

• RIP Stud Puppet 1914-2013. You were one of a kind.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »
Haddockinthepaddock is the handiwork of former LA Daily News racing writer Tim Haddock, who frequents these parts from time to time.

It's quite legitimate. Tim's covered every high-speed motor vehicle from motorcycles to NASCAR and those in between.
2007 JEOPARDY! Champion

2009 SJ.com Fantasy Golf Champion

"He looks poised, confident, professional, mature and well-groomed. What's he doing on sj.com?" -- Johnny D

Offline podunk press

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 12:07:26 AM »
Here's my question: Can these folks afford the travel to cover NASCAR?

My guess would be, in most cases, no.

Offline Football_Bat

• You missed
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 12:12:20 AM »
"[F_B] has a larger-paper sophistication that translates nicely in a smaller market. His topic selection was mature, his writing quick and unlittered." — Bill Dwyre, L.A. Times
___

Proud member of Knights of the Vagina & The Moddy Hall of Fame :)
__

"The square root of 69 is 8-something." — Drizzy

Offline ThatGuy

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 09:21:34 AM »
Very odd mix....some very good sites, but some questionable ones there....I even told one person who has one of the sites listed and he was pissed..A) he feels his site is a pro one (he was the first indpendant site to get hard carded like five years ago), and B) he said NASCAR never even called him or anything about it ...as for who can afford to travel, I think that if someone lives near a track they will go, or if they are retired and can afford it...I wonder if NASCAR knew that and these sites are set up geogrphically?....also weird is some like Racintoday.com don't really need more access..they all already have hard cards and stuff...really to me a lot of it doesn't make sense, but I applaud the thought behind it....
mmmm...doughnuts

Offline Cosmo

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 10:39:35 AM »
TALLADEGA, Ala. — D_B alert!

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/index.php/topic,70370.0.html

Poor form. That thread hadn't been touched in six weeks.
In recent days I've begun to compare this job to like being in an abusive marriage. The business keeps going all Chris Brown on me, and I know it's better for my health if I leave ... but I've just got nowhere else to go. -- Some Guy

Offline Oz

• Let's Go Pens!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 12:11:43 PM »
I work with one of the guys who runs a blog on that list, and I'm glad NASCAR recognized that what he's doing isn't run-of-the-mill work. He's always finding ways to get to races, even as he got squeezed from helping with our coverage -- both in print and online -- because of other responsibilities.

NASCAR is wise for doing this, and for not simply handing out this access to anyone.

Offline tapintoamerica

• These go to 11.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 02:34:46 PM »
Let's see how many of these people are still going to races a year from now. The travel expenses and work involved will separate the fanboys from the viable.
"Even by local standards, that's repulsive."
-- Det. Kay Howard, "Homicide: Life on the Street."

Offline ThatGuy

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 02:43:49 PM »
I work with one of the guys who runs a blog on that list, and I'm glad NASCAR recognized that what he's doing isn't run-of-the-mill work. He's always finding ways to get to races, even as he got squeezed from helping with our coverage -- both in print and online -- because of other responsibilities.

NASCAR is wise for doing this, and for not simply handing out this access to anyone.

the problem is some of the blogs on there are run of the mill....yes there are some very good ones on there, but there are also some, just as many it seems, that aren't that good...I go back to Bleacher Report...bad or no editing and some of the finest examples of plagerism I've ever seen....
mmmm...doughnuts

Offline Oz

• Let's Go Pens!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 10:45:07 PM »
Let's see how many of these people are still going to races a year from now. The travel expenses and work involved will separate the fanboys from the viable.

I think with some of these, we're not talking about going to NASCAR races each week. Some of these are regional blogs that might hit NASCAR races when it comes to their area once or twice a year, plus maybe one road trip (Daytona?) somewhere. The rest of the time, they cover regional action that they can get too far more easily and might blog about NASCAR on off days.

Seems to be the more practical way to go about it.

Offline rpmmutant

• Trust me
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 09:14:31 AM »
As one of the citizen journalists on the list, I can honestly say I will not be traveling to every Cup race. I will only be able to attend the races at Auto Club Speedway and some of the Las Vegas and Sonoma races.
However, I do attend almost every race at Toyota Speedway at Irwindale, a NASCAR-sanctioned short track.
NASCAR is bigger than Cup. My philosophy is that people will not be going to my website for news on Cup. But when Patrick Long, a two-time 24 Hours of Le Mans champion, shows up to race a late model at Irwindale, I write about it. Irwindale attracts some rising stars and high-profile drivers. It is home to the All-Star Showdown and gets one or two West Series races a year. It's not exactly the major leagues of stock car racing, but there are a number of good stories to write about every weekend.
Plus, my site is more than NASCAR. There are races in Southern California almost every week. NHRA, IRL, USAC and the Lucas Oil Off Road Series race out here all the time. I am never at a loss for races to cover.

Offline Johnny Dangerously

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 09:25:11 AM »
I'd be interested to know whether the veterans in this group object to being called citizen journalists. 
"If you want to know what's going to happen in five years, you don't look in the mainstream, you look at the fringe ..."
-- Steve Jobs

Offline rpmmutant

• Trust me
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 11:40:12 PM »
I'd be interested to know whether the veterans in this group object to being called citizen journalists. 

Hate it. Even told NASCAR I hated it.

Offline ThatGuy

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 03:00:30 AM »

But did they actually call you first? I know of at least one person who also hates being on the list but was never called to say he was on there...plus I assume you already get all the access you need considering your background, so what's the point, in NASCAR's view, of being on the list?
mmmm...doughnuts

Offline ThatGuy

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 05:19:35 AM »
Years ago, some music critic wrote of the phrase rock 'n' roll, — and I'm paraphrasing here —  "Any term that can simultaneously explain Elvis Presley and the Velvet Underground is essentially meaningless."

I would say the same thing of "NASCAR citizen journalist" if it can simultaneously explain www.racintoday.com and www.badgroove.com.

C'mon the Bad Groove is a hard hitting NASCAR blog...the authors bio:
"Amy is a little bit country and a whole lotta rock n' roll. She lives on the central coast of California with her tri-color beagle, Roxy. She has a weird tendency to block print when she writes, loves the colors pink and purple, and has a thing for writing. She loves spending time with and spoiling her nephew, reading, crocheting, and talking NASCAR. She loves to take pictures, has a bizarre fascination with European board games, and likes being a general pain in the arse. Her favorite Sunday afternoon activity: watching a NASCAR race. This is her story. "

And Geez her latest post shows all the exciting pictures she entered in the county fair!...no seriously...
mmmm...doughnuts

Offline rpmmutant

• Trust me
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 06:21:08 AM »

But did they actually call you first? I know of at least one person who also hates being on the list but was never called to say he was on there...plus I assume you already get all the access you need considering your background, so what's the point, in NASCAR's view, of being on the list?

In a way, it legitimizes the website I started to cover NASCAR and auto racing in a digital form. To be honest, my freelance assignments dictate which races I cover these days. Without a newspaper or freelance assignment, I don't know how much access I would have to some of the NASCAR races. At least now I can request credentials to races without having to go through an existing publication to get them.
As for who contacted who first, when I found out what NASCAR was doing, I was curious and asked around. Apparently I was on their radar. I don't mind being on the list, in fact I think the more exposure, the better for my site. I don't like the term citizen journalist. I have been a professional journalist since my sophomore year of college. Being called a citizen journalist makes it sound amateurish, but it's a small price at this point.

Offline Johnny Dangerously

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 06:43:59 AM »
I would feel like you do. What we do has been devalued by many in recent months, and when professional journalists begin to be defined as citizen journalists, that's a further erosion.
"If you want to know what's going to happen in five years, you don't look in the mainstream, you look at the fringe ..."
-- Steve Jobs

Offline Clerk Typist

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 11:12:09 AM »
Citizen journalist approved by NASCAR = Posse approved by country sheriff.
The bad news is, as in rpm's case, being identified as an amateur when you're really a pro. I think NASCAR put some pros on the list just to make the list longer.

Offline tapintoamerica

• These go to 11.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »
Wonder how many on that list will take on the Mayfield story ......
"Even by local standards, that's repulsive."
-- Det. Kay Howard, "Homicide: Life on the Street."

Offline playthrough

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 05:16:06 AM »
Wonder how many on that list will take on the Mayfield story ......

Or 100 other stories. I want to see a citizen journalist interview The Shrub after a 39th-place finish in a race.

I want to see any racing journalist do that. Better come prepared with running shoes and/or a golf cart.
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Offline LJ Burgess

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 05:25:17 PM »
Yes, we're in...and we won't be going away any time soon.

Bleacher Report has a minimum one writer per track, in some cases, multiple writers in one region.

I am 30 minutes from Dover and 2.5 hours from Richmond but other writers won the toss, so I have to move to Hardcore or Speedway Media to close the deal.

It's gratifying.

Turns must be taken.