Author Topic: Deadspin tale about Lupica and Mickelson  (Read 16069 times)

Offline JohnnyChan

Deadspin tale about Lupica and Mickelson
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:43:17 AM »
http://deadspin.com/5302243/phil-mickelson-ruined-mike-lupicas-us-open

This is priceless in its own right, but even better if you happened to be in the press room at Winged Foot a few years ago, before the tournament began, when Lip asked one of his patented long-winded questions, and Mickelson pondered his answer for a few seconds, and then, wonderfully, amazingly, magically, said ....

"Well, Mitch ..."

Lupica looked like he'd swallowed a Big Gulp of arsenic after that. Lefty has been a hero to the masses ever since.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:45:54 AM by JohnnyChan »
"You're not a columnist. You're a reporter who writes long."

Online Ryan_Sonner

Re: Deadspin tale about Lupica and Mickelson
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 05:04:54 AM »
Ohhhh...now THAT'S funny!
"I put two seconds thought into that statement." -- 93Devil

"Some of you come off as really awful people, you know that?" -- Dick Whitman

"We fight our battles with ideas in my house." -- Dick Whitman

Offline Boom_70

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 05:16:37 AM »
Funny on many levels. I think it was last week here at sj that some were questioning why Luppy was made fun of around here.

Offline Mediator

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 05:47:30 AM »
Agreed that ripping Lupica never gets old.

But I read the original story on the Huffington Post, there's a link to it on the Deadspin post. It was an example to me of what passes as coverage but is really just self-centered "Hey, Look at me! I got a credential to the US Open and I have no fucking clue!"

That's becoming way more pervasive. And it's always annoying. I don't care if you couldn't sell your extra ticket, if you ruined your shoes or if you ran into a friend on 18. Look up! What's happening beyond the end of your own fucking nose?

He wrote a few thousand words and accidently tripped over an interesting tidbit on Lupica because it impacted him personally somehow. Talk about making yourself the story.

The novelty of this kind of writing has worn off for me.

Offline Moland Spring

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 06:55:30 AM »
I can throw stones with the best of them... but this little tidbit just doesn't sound entirely true. Say what you want about Lupica, but do we really think he was out in front of Mickelson, shaking hands with fans and leading the charge to the next tee? Really?
Sorry, I don't buy it...
Also, do fans really care about the whereabouts of a columnist? Ugh.
"Listen, when you get home tonight, you’ll be confronted with the instinct to drink alone. Trust that instinct. Manage the pain. Don’t try to be a hero."    --Toby Ziegler

Offline 21

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 07:08:31 AM »
Here's the lengthier piece from the HP.  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patrick-sauer/18-rounds-of-soggy-sunny_b_220337.html

The blogger writes about cars and was there as a guest of Lexus.  Seems offended that his credential did not carry the same weight as those given to SI.

Has that distinct 'Ooh, There Are Naked People In the Locker Room' feel to it.  

That said, it's a great Lupica story if someone else can confirm any part of it.

Online YankeeFan

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patrick-sauer/18-rounds-of-soggy-sunny_b_220337.html

The blogger writes about cars and was there as a guest of Lexus.  Seems offended that his credential did not carry the same weight as those given to SI.

That said, it's a great Lupica story if someone else can confirm any part of it.

He blogs about, and does reviews of cars and he accepted a pass from Lexus to the U.S. Open?

I'm sure his reviews are completely unbiased.  What an ass. 

And from his lede, it's not the first time he's accepted such a freebie:

I've been writing about cars for awhile, and it has its perks. Mainly, getting to test drive dream rides, but also the occasional chance to attend auto-sponsored events.

Offline mediaguy

• I love SportsJournalis ts.com!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 08:39:33 AM »
Woah Nelly? How does somebody get "Whoa" and "Nellie" wrong? Sorry, couldn't get past that.

Offline mediaguy

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 08:44:57 AM »
And is there a sillier form of expletive sanitation than writing "fu*king"? Either just write it and move on or do something like f-------. It's like the pasties of expletives -- you're not really covering up that much.

Offline Mediator

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 09:26:01 AM »
The other thing that got to me was that the author, Patrick Sauer, saw Charlie Sifford and didn't ask him a question.

"I saw both men as they were leaving and regretted not asking Sifford, 87, his thoughts on the state of golf today."

If you can't even muster the instincts to ask a question, put your USGA-sponsored lunch down and leave. You have officially revealed yourself to be a fraud.

But I'll bet his editors, if he had any, loved this piece because it got hits.

Offline Walter_Sobchak

• Shamelessly stolen avatar
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »
I laughed at this comment.

"Isn't it about time for someone to stuff Lupica's body in the trunk of a car and leave it in long term parking?"
"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."

Offline Appgrad05

• Thanks to Inky
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »
Deadspin is linking here: http://deadspin.com/5302467/two-sportswriters-you-meet-in-hell

Time to clean up, everyone.
If I am going down, I am live blogging until the very end.

Offline dooley_womack1

• Just as good a spring
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 11:32:24 AM »
An "anonym"? JohnnyChan has said various times on here who he/she is. Nice reporting, deadspin.
"If she has a shiny fleur-de-lis on her ass, you may not even have to buy her dinner."--Freqposter

I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I do not feel ashamed.

"Bubbler: 'Dick Whitman: Stop Reading Slate' "--Bubbler

Offline playthrough

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 11:43:01 AM »
Deadspin is linking here: http://deadspin.com/5302467/two-sportswriters-you-meet-in-hell

Time to clean up, everyone.

Do these pants make my butt look big?
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Offline pseudo

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 12:10:35 PM »
An "anonym"? JohnnyChan has said various times on here who he/she is. Nice reporting, deadspin.
Yup. #DeadspinFail
Half decent.

Offline mediaguy

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 12:58:35 PM »
Maybe I'm not cool enough to appreciate the coolness of "anonyms" as shorthand for "anonymous people." I'm going to try to float "anonos" and see if it sticks.

As in "Hey, Guy With Real Name, what's with all the anonos on here?"

fondly,

mediaguy

Offline Mediator

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 01:04:11 PM »
Then what are homonyms again?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Offline Dave Kindred

• "We are not the story. We are the storytellers."
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 02:00:26 PM »

The blogger writes about cars and was there as a guest of Lexus.  Seems offended that his credential did not carry the same weight as those given to SI.

If you're talking about the "walking in front of Phil" part, yes, that often happens when we have "media" armbands that allow us to walk inside the ropes. You can get in front of a player by accident even...though you're supposed to walk within an arm's reach of the gallery rope....on that par-3, it was nearly impossible to walk near the ropes....I saw Mike several times inside the ropes and, yes, people called out to him and he spoke with them -- he's a NY sports-media celebrity....not my cup of tea, grandstanding, but he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't...at least he was on the course, working...

Offline 21

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 02:12:43 PM »

The blogger writes about cars and was there as a guest of Lexus.  Seems offended that his credential did not carry the same weight as those given to SI.

If you're talking about the "walking in front of Phil" part, yes, that often happens when we have "media" armbands that allow us to walk inside the ropes. You can get in front of a player by accident even...though you're supposed to walk within an arm's reach of the gallery rope....on that par-3, it was nearly impossible to walk near the ropes....I saw Mike several times inside the ropes and, yes, people called out to him and he spoke with them -- he's a NY sports-media celebrity....not my cup of tea, grandstanding, but he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't...at least he was on the course, working...

That was basically my point....a random observer/car-blogger might see that differently than you would.  Was this really a noteworthy offense (when there are perhaps so many others to choose from)?

Offline Mediator

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 02:16:34 PM »
I've covered the Open before, and it is protocol not to walk in front of the golfers. Ever. You walk behind them even if you have the inside-the-ropes armband.

Offline 21

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 02:26:50 PM »
I've covered the Open before, and it is protocol not to walk in front of the golfers. Ever. You walk behind them even if you have the inside-the-ropes armband.

No question. But if it wasn't Lupica, would we be talking about it?  (Not that I mind talking about it. 8))
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:31:10 PM by 21 »

Offline Dave Kindred

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »

I've walked in front of hundreds of players. Not on their line. Along the ropes but way in front of them. The few times that it has been necessary to walk on the same path, I've stayed behind them -- though even that is not always possible, or even reasonable. When leaving some greens to get to the next tee without causing a delay, I've left in front of players, caddies, scorers, rules people, everybody. The rule of common sense is to make yourself as invisible as possible. I've never once had anyone call me out.

Offline Mediator

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 02:40:25 PM »
Aha. I see the difference. To the writer, Lupica would have been in front of Michelson because he was closer to the ropes, not necessarily in front of Michelson's path.

I think I need an aerial photograph and a few graphics to clear this up~

Offline Dave Kindred

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 03:23:22 PM »
Aha. I see the difference. To the writer, Lupica would have been in front of Michelson because he was closer to the ropes, not necessarily in front of Michelson's path.

I think I need an aerial photograph and a few graphics to clear this up~

On the par-3 in question, there was a ravine between the tee and the green and waist-high hay everywhere. The only way to walk from the tee to the green inside the ropes was on the path mowed for the players. The "invisible" thing to do was move outside the ropes and duck back in near the green. Some of us don't care for being invisible. Mike may fall in that category. The second-best thing to do is to fall in far behind the players, again as invisible as you can get. But iit's possible to get caught in a place where you must move ahead of the player. The question then becomes how far in front? A long way, OK. As if he were part of the group, no.

Wow, this is TMI if I ever heard it.

Offline bigbadeagle

• That's it. A little more to the right.
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 03:25:01 PM »
I read the HuffPo piece for about two minutes before I realized:
1) This guy must not have covered many golf tournaments. Anytime it rains and you get lots of mud, it smells like a barnyard (like the last time I went to Augusta before this year). That, and he also had "There was no test drives" in there. I'm no big fan of Lupica I did love the line in the comments about the trunk and the airport long term parking but come on, pal, what did you expect?
And I've met Chi Chi and he is well worth the trouble to go talk to.
2) I could have spent that time reading that piece (and posting this) going to Chick-fil-A instead.
We ain't never gonna change
We ain't doin nothin wrong
We ain't never gonna change
Just shut your mouth and play along