Author Topic: Rick Maese to Washington Post  (Read 8896 times)

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
Rick Maese to Washington Post
« on: June 16, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »
Rick Maese didn't stay unemployed long.
The Pipeline is happy to report that Maese will join the Washington Post as the Redskins' beat writer. He'll replace Jason LaCanfora (spelling?), who went to the NFL Network or NFL.com or whatever to replace Schefter, who went to ESPN. Got all that?
The key here is Rick is going to the Post.

Good for him.  Good guy.   Glad to see he wasn't out of work long.

(and, yes, some of you may recall seeing this post up briefly the other day. The Pipeline is NEVER wrong but sometimes premature.  Had it open in a window while waiting for some confirmation.  Hit "post" too soon - though I was certain it was correct The Pipeline doesn't like to post without proper confirmation.   It has been received.  This is good and good to go).

Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade.” - Vernon Law

www.si.com

Online Ryan_Sonner

Re: Rick Maese to Washington Post
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:00:08 PM »
Nice pull by the Post. And I'm glad to see he wasn't out of work for very long.
"I put two seconds thought into that statement." -- 93Devil

"Some of you come off as really awful people, you know that?" -- Dick Whitman

"We fight our battles with ideas in my house." -- Dick Whitman

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 04:37:56 PM »
Maese is a hell of a talent. And we have mutual friends who swear by him as a person too. So kudos to him for landing softly.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »
A great hire for arguably the toughest beat out there.
"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
Seriously? I didn't know that.   I may have to rethink this whole thing.
Eat a steak, bitch!

OK, I'd kidding.  Still a great hire.

Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade.” - Vernon Law

www.si.com

Offline mediaguy

• I love SportsJournalis ts.com!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 06:39:08 PM »
That qualifies as landing on your feet. Great news for Rick and the Post ...

Offline Fran Curci

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »
This must be the most encouraging personnel move in a while. Good job opens, and a good guy gets hired. What a concept!

Offline podunk press

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 08:34:25 PM »
We're fans of Maese out here in Podunk.

I was hoping this would say The Post hired Maese to cover, say, the Ravens.

But this will do as well.

Making him a beat writer is a waste, though, don't you think? His take-out stuff is spectacular.

Offline Joe Williams

• 8/2/30, age 44: 12IP, 1H, 27K vs. KC
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 06:09:13 AM »
We're fans of Maese out here in Podunk.

I was hoping this would say The Post hired Maese to cover, say, the Ravens.

But this will do as well.

Making him a beat writer is a waste, though, don't you think? His take-out stuff is spectacular.

As beats go, with six days between games, football affords more opportunity to "write" than most sports. Besides, in these times, beat jobs are way more essential, so there's more job security.
Ty Cobb, never a friend to the black player, said Williams would have been a "sure 30-game winner" if he had played in the majors.

Offline YaBBforum

• I love SportsJournalists.com!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 06:15:34 AM »
just asking ... don't mean this as a loaded question in any way. has he ever been a beat guy?

Offline podunk press

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 06:23:24 AM »
I'm sure he'll be great.

That Redskins beat job has been a pipeline to other great things for lots of folks lately.

Best of luck to LaCanfora, too. We were fans of his work too.

Offline Joe Williams

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 06:24:20 AM »
There's a lot more to lose in being a beat guy too briefly than there is in being a beat guy too long.

Give me a columnist or takeout person who pounded a beat for 10 years rather than two, any day.
Ty Cobb, never a friend to the black player, said Williams would have been a "sure 30-game winner" if he had played in the majors.

Offline SoCalDude

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 09:32:41 AM »
   I thought Jason Reid, ex-LAT, was the Redskins' beat guy. Do they have more than one? Am I misinformed?

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
I think they have two day-to-day people, minimum.  They always have a swarm around the Skins.

www.si.com

Offline Moland Spring

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 11:08:45 AM »
How the heck did Rick find himself out of a job?

And also, I'm not sure it matters if he's been a beat guy. Most NFL beats have a nuts and bolts person and a features/takeout person. Like in KC with Kent Babb and Adam Teicher. And clearly, Babb is the guy who gets to write long. As Rick will be.
"Listen, when you get home tonight, you’ll be confronted with the instinct to drink alone. Trust that instinct. Manage the pain. Don’t try to be a hero."    --Toby Ziegler

Offline podunk press

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 12:11:30 PM »
Rick Maese found himself out of a job because Sam Zell is a greedy, product-wrecking moron.

I think that sums it up nicely.

Offline forever_town

• I may be old, but I rock.
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 07:02:27 PM »
Good on ya, Rick! I'll enjoy reading you.
Sic semper tyrannis.

"We love you F_T." -- Ace

"You don't need them, F_T. Just prove them wrong. Make it a mission." -- mike311gd

"Family isn't determined just by blood but by the relationships we build over time." -- OOP

Offline shockey

• spnited 4ever
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 07:39:59 PM »
terrific hire. rick will be great on the 'skins beat -- plenty of chances to write take-outs and features as part of the 1-2 punch. great to hear of any great hiring by any newspaper these days.  8) 8) 8)

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 03:52:03 AM »
This is his first job as a beat writer.
"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

Offline Joe Williams

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 05:54:28 AM »

Really? First job as a beat writer and it's the Redskins beat for the Washington Post? Wow, times have changed.

Offline Guybehindtheguy

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
Not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure Jason L was the NFL national writer for the Post after graduating off the 'Skins beat (though he live-blogged during the games).
Good for Maese.
I'm talented yes I'm gifted. Never boosted. Never shoplifted.

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 11:50:48 AM »

Really? First job as a beat writer and it's the Redskins beat for the Washington Post? Wow, times have changed.

Well, he became a columnist before he'd ever been a beat writer, so it is safe to say his career path hasn't exactly been typical.

That said, Rick is one of the best writers out there. I can't imagine that he won't be successful.