Author Topic: A note  (Read 10312 times)

Offline Chef

• The new face of Texas Tech Football; AW FUCK!
A note
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »
This may get me banned, suspended.......whatever.

Doesn't matter much to me.

The people who are bashing the umpire today, have obviously never umpired in any sport in their life.

If you knew anything about Tichenor, you would know that he is married and has 2 young boys, which he sees only for a day at a time very very rarely.

If you knew anything about Tichenor, you would know that he was analyzed (without him knowing) during his first MLB game behind the plate. Out of every pitch thrown, he missed 2 ball/strike pitches. 2 out of over 280.

If you knew anything about Tichenor, you would know that he went to umpiring academy in Florida right out of JUCO, and that when he comes back home during the winter, he substitute teaches at a local grade school.

If you knew anything about Tichenor, you would know that his dad died of cancer at a very early age, and that there is a Fred Tichenor Memorial Softball Tournament that is played every year out here.

If you knew anything about Tichenor, you would know that when he was on the bench playing JUCO baseball, when an ump didn't show up, he would be the first in line to strap on the gear and go.

But......none of you know anything about him.

But I tell you what......if you want it, i'll gladly im you his cell phone number, his personal address where his wife and two young boys are, and you by God give him the riot act, tell him what a horrible umpire he is, how much he sucks, anything that a lot of you gutless, spineless bastards don't have the nerve to tell him, instead ripping him a new one on an anonymous message board.

When she dies of an overdose, it's a story...until then, just show me your cooter pern to Lohan

God bless whomever Derek Jeter is nailing right now, b/c after watching this, he's going to have a 14-foot erection tonight. BYH on A-Rod presser.

"Easy, peasy, japan-easy"--Brooks

Offline Killick

Re: A note
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »
Probably would have been better to post this where the (supposed) offense was occurring, Chef. I had no idea what this was about, until I went looking for it.

And, not for nuthin, Tich probably doesn't give a shit... umps have to be used to this sort of speculation by the time they make the bigs.

EDIT: But I'm pretty sure he'd mind you giving out his cell  number to a bunch of whack-jobs on sj.com.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:30:37 PM by Killick »
"If this is all there is -- if the matter in the universe continues to expand until it is dark, cold and lifeless or reverts to another big bang that will destroy all history before starting anew -- I am both in awe of the opportunity and disappointed in its impermanence."- jlee

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 04:30:34 PM »
Hey chef,
If he's a professional umpire, he's heard a lot worse.  I'm sure you're taking this way harder than he is, too.
He's an ump. They get ripped. Grow up and deal with it.
No one was attacking him personally.

Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade. - Vernon Law

www.si.com

Offline Chef

• The new face of Texas Tech Football; AW FUCK!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 04:36:04 PM »
Hey chef,
If he's a professional umpire, he's heard a lot worse.  I'm sure you're taking this way harder than he is, too.
He's an ump. They get ripped. Grow up and deal with it.
No one was attacking him personally.

Yep.

When she dies of an overdose, it's a story...until then, just show me your cooter pern to Lohan

God bless whomever Derek Jeter is nailing right now, b/c after watching this, he's going to have a 14-foot erection tonight. BYH on A-Rod presser.

"Easy, peasy, japan-easy"--Brooks

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 04:40:50 PM »
I don't have Killick's drive. What the hell is going on here?
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »
Yep what?
Aren't you an umpire? How do you handle it when people tell you that you suck?
Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade. - Vernon Law

www.si.com

Offline Inky_Wretch

• "No one cares about your fantasy team." [/spnited]
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 04:43:07 PM »
I don't have Killick's drive. What the hell is going on here?

Ump tossed both catchers and managers in Twins-Red Sox game today.

Ump in question is getting ripped, partly because he's only 32. Ump is, it seems, a friend of Chef.
Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice.

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »
Yeah, of all the things on this site, this seems like a weird one to go all "Jack Nicholson in The Shining" about.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

PeteyPirate

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 04:49:19 PM »
Which eye is Tichenor's good one?

Offline Bubbler

• Last Of The Independents
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »
Chef ... relax.

One of my best friends is an umpire, got as far as AAA before health issues forced him to retire. He recovered and now does collegiate umpiring.

For the first time in both of our careers, we crossed paths a few weeks ago for a series. It was cool, culmination of childhood dreams, etc. The SID knew about it and playfully teased me about it throughout the weekend. No big deal, I took it in stride.

In the second game of the series, he was working first base, and there was a bang-bang play against the team I cover and he called the runner out. Wrongly. I was sitting next to the conference umpire supervisor and he was not happy with the call. Neither was the coach I cover ... and they got into a face-to-face spat.

Later, I called my friend to tease him, but he wasn't a happy camper. He thought he got the call right, but I could tell from knowing him that he didn't believe it. He was beside himself, especially after the conference supervisor read him the riot act after the game.

I told him not to sweat it. The call didn't affect the game and he shouldn't beat himself up. I re-affirmed what he already knew, he has a public job and has to take public criticism.

I guess that's what I'm saying to you, Chef. Your buddy is in a public job, people are going to take shots at him, right or wrong. Don't take it personally, it's part of the territory.
The cerebral musicality of jazz mixed with the visceral groove of funk.

You came here with a mouse in a bottle and now you're the mouse.

You're wrong my Bubby. I don't know ass. My degree is in journalism with a minor in hard knocks, not assology.

Offline TheSportsPredictor

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:58:35 PM »
I'm not sure if Chef thinks all those things make the ump immune to criticism, or the fact that the ump is Chef's friend. Cuz if the ump fucked up, he fucked up, he takes criticism, and everyone moves on in a day.

Let me list my qualifications to criticize:

... my parents are really nice.

... I'm serving in my brother's wedding in a couple weeks.

... my grandfather died of leukemia.

... I got a great job evaluation last time around.

zeke12

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 04:59:18 PM »
Which eye is Tichenor's good one?
AP News Alert: Todd Tichenor has just ejected FirstDownPirates. And his children. And his children's children.

Offline playthrough

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 06:14:27 PM »

anything that a lot of you gutless, spineless bastards don't have the nerve to tell him, instead ripping him a new one on an anonymous message board.

Zzzzzzzz.

C'mon man. You didn't register on this site this morning.
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Offline Flying Headbutt

• Sports and News
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 06:30:20 PM »
If he had one more eye he'd be a cyclops!

(That's my favorite)

DirtyDeeds

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »
I'm not sure if Chef thinks all those things make the ump immune to criticism, or the fact that the ump is Chef's friend. Cuz if the ump fucked up, he fucked up, he takes criticism, and everyone moves on in a day.
I don't know anything about this situation, and I sure don't mean to pile on, but this is what I was thinking.

Offline BYH

• IJAG (left), me (right)
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 06:45:25 PM »
That this doesn't end with "...and it really hurts where my right foot used to be" is the greatest disappointment I've ever experienced.
Tragedy blows through your life like a tornado, uprooting everything, creating chaos. You wait for the dust to settle & then you choose. You can live in the wreckage & pretend it's still the mansion you remember. Or you can crawl from the rubble and slowly rebuild.--Veronica Mars

Offline forever_town

• I may be old, but I rock.
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 06:49:14 PM »
That this doesn't end with "...and it really hurts where my right foot used to be" is the greatest disappointment I've ever experienced.

Obviously, this isn't BYH's wife posting here.
Sic semper tyrannis.

"We love you F_T." -- Ace

"You don't need them, F_T. Just prove them wrong. Make it a mission." -- mike311gd

"Family isn't determined just by blood but by the relationships we build over time." -- OOP

Offline 2muchcoffeeman

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »

That's taking into account a lot of disappointment.
I'm out.

shotglass

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »

Let me list my qualifications to criticize:

... my parents are really nice.

... I'm serving in my brother's wedding in a couple weeks.

... my grandfather died of leukemia.

... I got a great job evaluation last time around.

Well, nobody's going to sue you for being over-sensitive. I'm sure Chef hopes he can reciprocate some day.

Playing the ass doesn't mean one has a handle on the situation.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:52:01 PM by shotglass »

Offline forever_town

• I may be old, but I rock.
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 06:54:57 PM »
Turning serious, speaking as a Cal Ripken level umpire, getting yelled at is part of the territory. Hearing it from coaches and players is part of the game, much as we might sometimes wish it weren't. If the coaches or managers try to argue balls and strikes, your friend has to throw any of them out of the game.

If the coach or manager goes up to him after the game and abuses him, he can (and should) notify his supervisor. Depending how the league works, the league can take it from there.

As for whether or not we make bad calls, I can only go from my experience. If I think I blew a call, I feel sick about it. I don't sweat it if the coach disagrees with me if I've made the right call or the right interpretation. I'm probably my own worst critic as an umpire. Hopefully, so is Tichenor.
Sic semper tyrannis.

"We love you F_T." -- Ace

"You don't need them, F_T. Just prove them wrong. Make it a mission." -- mike311gd

"Family isn't determined just by blood but by the relationships we build over time." -- OOP

Offline buckweaver

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 06:57:04 PM »
As someone who was a certified umpire for five years, I think I'm pretty fair to my fellow officials.

That said, I'm with TSP on this one: If he fucked up, he fucked up. He's a professional. Criticism is part of the game, and if he deserves it, so be it.

Chef ... drink a beer, forget about this. You're way overboard on this one.
"I feel bad for his wife and girlfriends. But it's karmic payback because he still hasn't touched the fucking plate." -- Cadet, after Matt Holliday let a ball hit him in the nuts in NLDS Game 2

"Don't fuck with happy." -- Elliotte

"wait, cadet is the wolf? -- Angola!

zeke12

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »
Today, Todd Tichenor heard his cell phone ringing, but it was someone else's phone. He checked his anyway. TLIA.

Offline Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L)

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
http://large-regular.blogspot.com

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

"No fear. No envy. No meanness." --Liam Clancy to Bob Dylan

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 07:02:45 PM »
Todd Tichenor has a garden in his backyard, but rabbits keep wreaking havoc. TLIA.

Offline Inky_Wretch

• "No one cares about your fantasy team." [/spnited]
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 07:03:56 PM »
TLIA?

WTF? SHABO!
Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice.