1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A note

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Active Member

This may get me banned, suspended.......whatever.

Doesn't matter much to me.

The people who are bashing the umpire today, have obviously never umpired in any sport in their life.

If you knew anything about Tichenor, you would know that he is married and has 2 young boys, which he sees only for a day at a time very very rarely.

If you knew anything about Tichenor, you would know that he was analyzed (without him knowing) during his first MLB game behind the plate. Out of every pitch thrown, he missed 2 ball/strike pitches. 2 out of over 280.

If you knew anything about Tichenor, you would know that he went to umpiring academy in Florida right out of JUCO, and that when he comes back home during the winter, he substitute teaches at a local grade school.

If you knew anything about Tichenor, you would know that his dad died of cancer at a very early age, and that there is a Fred Tichenor Memorial Softball Tournament that is played every year out here.

If you knew anything about Tichenor, you would know that when he was on the bench playing JUCO baseball, when an ump didn't show up, he would be the first in line to strap on the gear and go.

But......none of you know anything about him.

But I tell you what......if you want it, i'll gladly im you his cell phone number, his personal address where his wife and two young boys are, and you by God give him the riot act, tell him what a horrible umpire he is, how much he sucks, anything that a lot of you gutless, spineless bastards don't have the nerve to tell him, instead ripping him a new one on an anonymous message board.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Probably would have been better to post this where the (supposed) offense was occurring, Chef. I had no idea what this was about, until I went looking for it.

And, not for nuthin, Tich probably doesn't give a shit... umps have to be used to this sort of speculation by the time they make the bigs.

EDIT: But I'm pretty sure he'd mind you giving out his cell number to a bunch of whack-jobs on SportsJournalists.com. ;D

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey chef,
    If he's a professional umpire, he's heard a lot worse. I'm sure you're taking this way harder than he is, too.
    He's an ump. They get ripped. Grow up and deal with it.
    No one was attacking him personally.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Yep.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't have Killick's drive. What the hell is going on here?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep what?
    Aren't you an umpire? How do you handle it when people tell you that you suck?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ump tossed both catchers and managers in Twins-Red Sox game today.

Ump in question is getting ripped, partly because he's only 32. Ump is, it seems, a friend of Chef.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, of all the things on this site, this seems like a weird one to go all "Jack Nicholson in The Shining" about.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Which eye is Tichenor's good one?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Chef ... relax.

One of my best friends is an umpire, got as far as AAA before health issues forced him to retire. He recovered and now does collegiate umpiring.

For the first time in both of our careers, we crossed paths a few weeks ago for a series. It was cool, culmination of childhood dreams, etc. The SID knew about it and playfully teased me about it throughout the weekend. No big deal, I took it in stride.

In the second game of the series, he was working first base, and there was a bang-bang play against the team I cover and he called the runner out. Wrongly. I was sitting next to the conference umpire supervisor and he was not happy with the call. Neither was the coach I cover ... and they got into a face-to-face spat.

Later, I called my friend to tease him, but he wasn't a happy camper. He thought he got the call right, but I could tell from knowing him that he didn't believe it. He was beside himself, especially after the conference supervisor read him the riot act after the game.

I told him not to sweat it. The call didn't affect the game and he shouldn't beat himself up. I re-affirmed what he already knew, he has a public job and has to take public criticism.

I guess that's what I'm saying to you, Chef. Your buddy is in a public job, people are going to take shots at him, right or wrong. Don't take it personally, it's part of the territory.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if Chef thinks all those things make the ump immune to criticism, or the fact that the ump is Chef's friend. Cuz if the ump fucked up, he fucked up, he takes criticism, and everyone moves on in a day.

Let me list my qualifications to criticize:

... my parents are really nice.

... I'm serving in my brother's wedding in a couple weeks.

... my grandfather died of leukemia.

... I got a great job evaluation last time around.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

AP News Alert: Todd Tichenor has just ejected FirstDownPirates. And his children. And his children's children.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.