1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selena Roberts: I think Whitlock was trying to out me; Chass is an old grump

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, May 20, 2009.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Selena felt Jason's diatribe about how she "didn't understand men" was an attempt to out her, which she thought was silly since she's already out. She also recounts a time when Murray Chass wrote a lengthy email ripping her for having the stones to accidentally sit in his chair at a baseball game.

It's a podcast interview with Drew Magary. Some interesting stuff in there. She also addresses the Duke lax stuff.

http://deadspin.com/5262364/selena-roberts-on-whitlock-perhaps-theres-a-little-homophobia-there

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had no idea Selena Roberts was out. Then again, I've never met Selena Roberts and her sexuality means nothing in terms of her writing or doing her job.

I wish it didn't matter to Whitlock or Roberts in this argument either.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I didn't know she was out, either. And this would qualify as Worst. Haiku. Ever.

Analyzing my
    want, I found it was wanting.
    But not wanting me.

You don't do a runaround. Even A-Rod should know that.

But it is sad how far Selena has fallen, quality-wise, since going to SI

4. I don't think that was Whitlock's intent. Would Whitlock even know she is homosexual? I can't imagine the two ran in the same circles or had much interaction.
    Anyhow, I doubt he would throw out that kind of speculation - however thinly-veiled. If he knew she was a lesbian, and that factored into her writing, I think he would just come out and say it.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, if I were a feminist, I'd be pissed that it's somehow become code for lesbian. I know a LOT of straight feminists...calling her a hardcore feminist doesn't mean he's calling her a lesbian.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think she plagarized Law & Order. Who knew she was gay?

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Really? Because I think he can be kind of cowardly at times.

And yes, Jason, I give the obligitory acknowledgement that this criticism is coming from an anonymous message board poster.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Out? Hadn't heard.

Before the A-Rod book and SI thumbnail it was all but impossible to find even a pic of Selena online.

9. Really?
    I always - I must admit, I can count on one hand the number his columns I have read - thought he was pretty straight forward.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, he's a big coward. He outed somebody here for calling him on his shit.

He also has true issues with women. Look at how he reacted to Vivian Stringer during the whole Imus debacle.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hardcore feminist can be code for lesbian. Not saying it is in this instance, but it has been used that way.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Priceless.

Draft saved Draft deleted