Author Topic: How do you feel about Candace Parker's C-cup being referenced in this lede?  (Read 48468 times)

Offline Johnny Dangerously

Then we'll agree to disagree. To me, it works within the story. You guys see C cups and suddenly breasts are all you can think of.

Fair enough.

Actually, that seems very unfair, especially since there are women on this thread who didn't like the lede too. We're not in junior high. I can think of more than breasts right now and still discuss this topic.
"If you want to know what's going to happen in five years, you don't look in the mainstream, you look at the fringe ..."
-- Steve Jobs

Tom Petty

schmucks.

51 posts and not one mention that those puppies have turned into D cups thanks to her pregnancy? shame on all of you.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:31:45 PM by Tom Petty »

Offline RickStain

• Laying the would
As someone whose wife is pregnant right now, that is definitely one of the better parts.
Call me Dickfinity

Offline Some Guy

If she's such a great athlete, there's no need to talk about her cup size.

Except the article isn't really about how she's such a great athlete. It's about her marketability. When talking in terms of marketability, physical attributes are relevant. It's sad but true.

I didn't find this piece to be Pulitzer-worthy or anything like that. But I didn't find it to be offensive or off-putting in anyway, either.

Offline DanOregon

Then we'll agree to disagree. To me, it works within the story. You guys see C cups and suddenly breasts are all you can think of.

Fair enough.
IJAG - whether it's in a story on Candace Parker or not, yes.
 ;D

ďThere has always been a struggle between Art and Commerce and now Iím telling you, Art is getting its ass kicked and itís making us mean and itís making us bitchy. And itís making us cheap punks. Thatís not who we are."
- Wes Mendell, Studio 60, shortly before he is fired.

Offline imjustagirl

Fair enough.

Actually, that seems very unfair, especially since there are women on this thread who didn't like the lede too. We're not in junior high. I can think of more than breasts right now and still discuss this topic.

Except it was a reference to what DD said.

I'd never actually given much thought to Candace Parker's breasts until just now, and now every time I see something in reference to her, that's all I'll think about.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Offline goalmouth

• Long memory. Short temper.
"A saint in hightops."

Does anyone remember the MASH episode when Frank wrote copy for a unit film and described the doctors as "saints in surgical garb?"

For a magazine author, Glock is a great sitcom writer.
It's not my fault if I'm angry. It's my mood's fault.

Offline Joe Williams

• 8/2/30, age 44: 12IP, 1H, 27K vs. KC
I have no problem with the first C cup reference, but coming back to it in second reference is overcooked. Bigger issue to me is the lede as a whole---it's well over the top and loses it's objectivity about 70% of the way through it. I would have ended it at kind to animals.

I only got as far as this post, high on page 1, and haven't read the rest. Sorry if I missed anything crucial.
But WFW.

Ty Cobb, never a friend to the black player, said Williams would have been a "sure 30-game winner" if he had played in the majors.

Fair enough.

I'd never actually given much thought to Candace Parker's breasts until just now, and now every time I see something in reference to her, that's all I'll think about.

That's one guy. You said guys, plural.

:)

But seriously, it doesn't seem fair to cite an example from one poster way back on the first page without labeling it as such and instead say "You guys." It's like getting someone to lean into the punch. If you meant DD, you should have said so instead of lumping other people into a comment directed at one person.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:55:16 PM by Johnny Dangerously »
"If you want to know what's going to happen in five years, you don't look in the mainstream, you look at the fringe ..."
-- Steve Jobs

Offline Batman

• All the work is done by a single Australian man

I have nothing relevant to add. I just thought it was funny that in a thread kinda-sorta about breast size, there was a reference to a poster nicknamed "Double D." Carry on.
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Offline Mizzougrad96

If a guy wrote that, he would be shredded for it.

The writer didn't need to go there and it's a shame she did.
"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

Tom Petty

wow. they're only tits guys. not that big of a deal.

Offline RickStain

• Laying the would
wow. they're only tits guys. not that big of a deal.

80% of human existence could be summed up in that sentence.
Call me Dickfinity

Offline 21

That's the point.

Online Double Down

Glock is an interesting writer. She wasn't shy about writing a piece for Marie Claire awhile ago about how her marriage fell apart, and she was essentially to blame because she got a little bored, frustrated, and involved with someone else. I think that kind of thing takes guts to do, especially because she does come off as a little selfish in the piece.

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/marie-claire/807/why-we-couldn---t-stay-married/

For those defending Sharapova earlier in this thread, saying she cares about tennis and that she's the anti-Kournikova, I think it's actually worth going back and reading this piece that Glock wrote about Sharapova which shows it's a little more complex than that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3742834

I remember reading it at the time, and thinking Glock brought the right amount of skepticism to the writing, and wasn't worried about making Sharapova seem a little bratty in the piece. I guess the more I think about it, that's part of what disappointed me about this story. We get the "Candace is hot, Candace is preggers, Candace will change the game with her sexy smooth jumper and marketing opportunities" without any real skepticism about the whole thing.

I think I've read about 10,000 "this woman will change the face of women's sports" features in the last 10 years, btw.

Trying to be the lantern in the swamp.

Offline 21

Nothing will change the face of 'women's sports' until we just call them sports. 

Online Double Down

Nothing will change the face of 'women's sports' until we just call them sports. 

I don't know. I still have high hopes for Serena Williams' E Cups.
Trying to be the lantern in the swamp.

Offline imjustagirl

Well, J_D, I kind of thought my "agree to disagree" covered how much more I have to say on this. I had no problem with the lede. To say over and over again I had no problem with the lede seemed stupid. So: I had no problem with the lede. Everyone else arguing it has problems discussing a woman's breasts in a story lede. Fine.

Agree to disagree.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Offline Batman

• All the work is done by a single Australian man
That she won the high school slam dunk contest a few years ago just by being a woman who could jump is enough to make me not like her. C Cups or not.
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Offline GlenQuagmire

• "Alllllllllll rrrrriiiiiggggghhhhhttttt!!!!!!!!"
If she's such a great athlete, there's no need to talk about her cup size.

Except the article isn't really about how she's such a great athlete. It's about her marketability. When talking in terms of marketability, physical attributes are relevant. It's sad but true.

I didn't find this piece to be Pulitzer-worthy or anything like that. But I didn't find it to be offensive or off-putting in anyway, either.

There's a way to measure her marketability without talking about how big her breasts are. (I didn't know she had C-cups until I read this article because she is so modest about it. Doesn't mean shit to me now and doesn't make her more marketable than if she had Bs, As, etc.)

I don't think we need to go there to make sense on this subject.

It's a double-standard that a female writer can write about such personal attributes and get a pass for the most part. If a male writer made such a reference, he'd be called sexist and drilled by every feminist organization out there.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:13:52 PM by GlenQuagmire »
Quagmire: Hey there Gorgeous, how old are you?
Connie: 16.
Quagmire: 18? You're first.
Connie: Mom!
Quagmire: I like where this is going!!! Giggitty, giggitt, gig-gi-tty!

Except that you said "that's fair" after saying siomething that to some degree wasn't.

But, agree to disagree is fine with me.
-- Steve Jobs

Tom Petty

i disagree to agree ... c cups or no c cups.

Offline micke77

With all due respects to beautiful and bountiful Candace Parker, I am still thinking about Danica Patrick on the damn hood of that car in the SI swimsuit edition.

Offline Double J

• Yes, please. :)
schmucks.

51 posts and not one mention that those puppies have turned into D cups thanks to her pregnancy? shame on all of you.

I was thinking that too, but wondering if they were now C and used to be B.

"be B"....ha, that reminds me of that South Park episode where BeBe got BBs and the boys went CC (coo-coo).
"I don't care how bizarre Debbie Gibson looks sometimes. She is still Debbie Gibson. If you were a teenaged boy from 1987 thru 1989, she is still on the perpetual list of five." - BYH

"If rock and roll were a sport, it would be hockey." - Michael Ontkean

Offline Double J

• Yes, please. :)
Glock is an interesting writer. She wasn't shy about writing a piece for Marie Claire awhile ago about how her marriage fell apart, and she was essentially to blame because she got a little bored, frustrated, and involved with someone else. I think that kind of thing takes guts to do, especially because she does come off as a little selfish in the piece.

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/marie-claire/807/why-we-couldn---t-stay-married/

A little selfish? I think one commenter at the end summed it up perfectly - "This writer is an egotistical twat."

Which strongly suggests it didn't take "guts" to write it. More likely, it was an "I'll get an A for this" type of motivation.
"I don't care how bizarre Debbie Gibson looks sometimes. She is still Debbie Gibson. If you were a teenaged boy from 1987 thru 1989, she is still on the perpetual list of five." - BYH

"If rock and roll were a sport, it would be hockey." - Michael Ontkean