1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North County Times? You're up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I just got word from the Birdscribe Pipeline (pat. pending/a Class AA version of the vaunted Moddy Pipeline) that the North County Times is eliminating 25 positions -- effectively today.

That's 25 people out of a 100-person newsroom covering a large, populated area of a dynamic region in SoCal that includes a huge Marine base, tons of small business, industry (many of the golf equipment mfgs are located there), resorts and what was one of the fastest growing areas of SoCal.

The question here -- easily applicable elsewhere -- is why bother? If you're at the point where whacking 25% of your newsroom is a good idea, why exist? Why not just throw up the white flag? Because at this point, you have abrogated your responsibility as a news organization.

Yeah, it doesn't directly affect me, but the avalanche of bad news and horrific management has finally pushed my A-hole button.

I know we have some NC Times folks on here. Hopefully, they're safe.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

JFC! If this paper lives for another year, I'll be rather surprised.

3. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Not safe!

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

I feel bad for anyone who might be affected (and I know a few on the Escondido staff), but this product has never worked for me. It reads much smaller than its reach, population and demographics would presume, and its toxic story-comment sections are legendary. The paper just didn't take off with the combining of coastal and inland products.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

They eliminated the community news staff of 4 or 5, at least two from the copy desk, at least two from sports and at least one photographer.
    The Californian, the southern Riverside County edition of the paper, whacked five and its one remaining copy editor was moved to a universal desk in Escondido. The Cal is down to three reporters, a columnist, three in sports and no photographers.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The NC Times has a shockingly bland design and their website, while admirable, swings and misses in a lot of key areas (like prep sports). Personally I don't find their comments section to be anything out of the ordinary. That is, full of vile, hatred, racism, homophobia, anonymous insults and the rare compliment. It's bad but comments sections are bad everywhere.

North County is home to a lot of people and I think a well-run paper has a shot to dig in and do OK there. I don't think slashing 25 percent of your newsroom is a step in the right direction.

Of course, the fact that half of North County doesn't speak English probably doesn't help circulation.

7. Dread_Smith

Dread_Smith New Member

Hearing that four went in sports.

From the paper's own story on the cuts:

Most of the layoffs came in the newsroom, where the staff of reporters and editors was reduced by 20 percent, or 25 employees. Across the rest of the newspaper, including advertising and circulation staff, nine employees were laid off.

"Advertising is our revenue generator," said Peter York, publisher of the North County Times. "The newsroom, while critical to our mission ... it is the biggest individual department."

Fewer advertisements have diminished the newspaper's revenues, and layoffs were needed so that the newspaper would remain viable, York said.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Names of those cut?

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The advertising department's job of generating revenue just got a lot harder. Good luck selling ads for an extended period of time at a paper where the newsroom just lost that high a percentage of its staff.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And keep an ad staff that can't sell ads?

11. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

The publisher is a former Ad guy, so you think he would get rid of his own?

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Yikes. The SE is definitely one of the good guys in this business.

Draft saved Draft deleted