1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

-30- to Morning Briefing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Oct 21, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

After decades in the L.A. Times, L.A. Observed notes in its review of the Times' redesign that hit today that Morning Briefing has been dropped in favor of a digest of blog items. Hopefully, the Saturday letters will remain.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I loved Morning Briefing.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Morning Briefing was a must read. Some of the best nuggets and notes would appear in that column.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You know, I really wish they'd stop screwing with the editorial content and design -- other than to make it less/worse than it was -- and start dealing with the real problem, which is ad and product sales/revenue generation...

And I wish we'd start hearing about that all the time.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Great column. I liked how there were a couple of different people did it. It was always good for a laugh or a creep out. Sometimes both.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/custom/morningbriefing/

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Always must-read.

A bad decision.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

For the people who did it right, it took a lot more work and creativity than it might have seemed to some. It was basically a blog, but in print, before there were such things.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Have to admit, I used to feel a little proud when I'd see something I'd written excerpted in the Morning Briefing, chosen by Mal Florence or Shav Glick or whomever as being worthy of that pithy roundup in a once-great newspaper.

First that "great" tag changed. Now the Briefing is history. -30- indeed.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This shouldn't be surprising, considering most of the folks who wrote this no longer work at what used to be a world-class sports section.

Lisa Dillman does MB duty, but most of the rest who did it regularly: Peter Yoon, Larry Stewart, etc. are no longer employed there.

As every other decision from the Hounds of Zell goes, this one blows.

Draft saved Draft deleted