1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Valley Tribune gets hammered

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sbordow, Oct 6, 2008.

1. sbordow

sbordow New Member

This will come out sooner or later, so here goes:

We've just been told that starting in January, we're going to a 4-day a week free tab. We're closing our office in Scottsdale, and 142 of our 327 people in the company have been laid off, including all our pro beat writers and our ASU writer.

It's an incredibly sad day here and as someone who has spent 25 years with the company, I feel like I've been punched in the gut. I survived the purge, but I can't imagine working here after losing so many good people.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Fuck me. That's the first impression I took from this.

SB, condolences to you and the folks at the EVT, which has put out a good, good product from the times I've seen it on my trips to the Valley of the Sun.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Holy shit. So sorry to hear this.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

the word hammered seems like an understatement. good luck everyone. my prayers are with you all, both those who were let go, and those we are left there to pick up the pieces.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Cripes! I have vacationed in Arizona and, if I lived there and were to buy the East Valley Trombone, I'd be wanting to read about the pro teams and ASU. Just what will be my incentive to pick up the tab or mouse my way to the home page?

7. shocking, depressing and disgusting

best of luck to everybody there

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jesus jumping christ ... punch to the gut is right ... was friendly with a lot of folks at the Trib when I was in AZ. Good people who don't deserve to be treated like this ... gawddamn. :mad:

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Unfuckingbelievable

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. The quality of people at that shop ... Mike Tulumello, Bordow, Jerry Brown, Dan Zeiger, Craig Morgan, and Jack Magruder, who absolutely was a great mentor for me when I was a young pup ... fuck ... :mad:

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

This is tough. Good luck to those leaving and those staying. Two longtime friends and peers have worked here over the years, and it seems a real loss to a region that, without a real center, relied on the zoned paper to provide some of that.

12. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Wow. I don't know what to say. My thoughts are with the folks at the Trib. I hope you all get through it as well as you can under the circumstances.

I remember reading the paper when I was in high school in the east Phoenix valley. The Republic casts a long shadow in Phoenix but the Tribune always managed to do far more focused local news coverage (and, with Gannett doing its thing on the Republic, an alternative was much appreciated). I had an inkling things were bad when I returned to Phoenix a few months ago to find it had become a tab (and when the job I applied for there was frozen a week after my interview :p). But I never imagined I'd see the scrappy daily my dad used to read in the evening cut back to four days a week. ???

Draft saved Draft deleted