Author Topic: Stunning news: Tony Mandarich admits steroid use  (Read 6368 times)

Online Starman

• "There's a Starman waiting in the sky."
Stunning news: Tony Mandarich admits steroid use
« on: September 30, 2008, 02:12:46 PM »
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080930/SPORTS0202/809300417

Even more stunning, he says he's cleaned his life up and found Jeebus.

Who'da thunk it.  ::)
"What is the difference between genius and stupidity? Genius has limits." (Albert Einstein)

Offline PopeDirkBenedict

• "I would have made a good pope." -- Richard Nixon
Re: Stunning news: Tony Mandarich admits steroid use
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:14:22 PM »
He claims he preferred getting drunk to working out when he was in Green Bay.

Well, you can knock Packers fan over with a slight wind after that revelation. I mean, you couldn't tell from his all-pro level performance there.
"There’s no such thing as a stupid question that gets an answer you can use." -- Dave Kindred

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:17:31 PM »
This is less stunning than last week's Clay Aiken news.
"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

friend of a friend

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »
I always knew Aiken was on roids.

Offline JayFarrar

• Pretty little things, about to explode
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:29:17 PM »
As a college offensive lineman, I worshipped Mandrich.
I had the Incredible Bulk SI cover clipped and taped to my dorm room wall.
But even in '89 I knew he was on the 'roids.
It was obvious, despite his denials.

Impossible you say? Nothing is impossible when you work for the circus.

"[JayFarrar is] the board's leading Hillary apologist — Dixiehack

"We spent half our lives wishing this business would love us back a tenth as much as we love it, and it never does, and probably never will." — DoubleDown

Offline Armchair_QB

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »
Kurt Cobain is watching this and going "See? This is why I killed myself."

"Kyle Orton can live long and eat a dick." - CareBear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UuFJoexdlU

Reasons to keep Les Miles: he is clearly the luckiest motherfucker to ever live.

Reasons to fire Les Miles: everything else

Offline BYH

• IJAG (left), me (right)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 02:44:34 PM »
Bear shits in woods. Film at 11.

Also has a book coming out!
Tragedy blows through your life like a tornado, uprooting everything, creating chaos. You wait for the dust to settle & then you choose. You can live in the wreckage & pretend it's still the mansion you remember. Or you can crawl from the rubble and slowly rebuild.--Veronica Mars

Offline Armchair_QB

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »
Bear shits in woods. Film at 11.

Also has a book coming out!

I am stunned by this apparent coincidence.

Reasons to keep Les Miles: he is clearly the luckiest motherfucker to ever live.

Offline forever_town

• I may be old, but I rock.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 03:39:46 PM »
In other news, a pig's pussy is pork.
Sic semper tyrannis.

"We love you F_T." -- Ace

"You don't need them, F_T. Just prove them wrong. Make it a mission." -- mike311gd

"Family isn't determined just by blood but by the relationships we build over time." -- OOP

Offline slappy4428

• Deal with it.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 05:01:49 PM »
This news, of course, if too late to help the Packers...

I am honestly shocked that steroid use occured under George Perles...

Offline txsportsscribe

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 05:15:57 PM »

yeah but madarich shoulda never made the american idol top 10. boy was that a crappy season.

Offline MacDaddy

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 05:55:58 PM »
Another scoop from the latest issue of Duh magazine.

Offline KP

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 06:05:48 PM »
Of all the dramatic things I've ever seen. [/waldman]
2010-2011 Premier League fantasy champion

RossLT

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »

yeah but madarich shoulda never made the american idol top 10. boy was that a crappy season.

He's got surprising grace for a big man.

Offline dooley_womack1

• Just as good a spring
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 07:55:27 PM »
Mandarich will next be plugging his book on the Mr. Obvious Show.
"If she has a shiny fleur-de-lis on her ass, you may not even have to buy her dinner."--Freqposter

I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I do not feel ashamed.

"Bubbler: 'Dick Whitman: Stop Reading Slate' "--Bubbler

Offline Smallpotatoes

• I love SportsJournalists.com!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 09:35:53 PM »
Am I to understand he didn't just lift weights and eat a lot?

Online Starman

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 09:49:04 PM »

Yeah, if you swallowed the preposterous puff pieces/cover stories spun out by the Michigan State sports information department; there must have been a couple dozen of them during the fall of 1987, all following a nearly-identical template: "Tony Mandarich, the All-Natural Man," (Never Failed A Steroid Test  ;) ), a listing of the incredible (in the literal sense) amount of food Mandarich was supposedly eating, dozens of eggs a day, pounds of steak, shopping carts full of food, hundreds of bucks a week, 30,000, 40,000 calories a day, pouring down gallons of triple-strength coffee, cartons of Jolt Cola, all to explain his massive weight gain and buzzing-at-the-eyeballs hair-trigger attititude and behavior; and recaps of his insane workout regimen, which featured pounding tons of iron virtualy every waking moment he wasn't eating or, presumably, taking dumps.

That autumn, I remember talking to a doctor about the stories. "Jesus Christ," he said. "Why doesn't he just come out and say he's on roids? Being on roids is 10 times healthier than eating 50,000 calories a day and mainlining pure caffiene into your bloodstream."

The stories generated a strong suspicion of "wethinks they doth protesteth too much." The stories also never mentioned, a) where Mandarich got the money to pay for these hundreds and hundreds of bucks worth of groceries every week, and b) one single word about ever attending classes.

I think Telander wrote a version of this story for SI, I think it was the story in the "Incredible Bulk" issue. As I recall, Telander was so disgusted by the blatant propaganda and lying he asked to be switched off the college football beat.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:53:58 PM by Starman »
"What is the difference between genius and stupidity? Genius has limits." (Albert Einstein)

Offline Hammer Pants

• This is NOT awesome!
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 09:56:52 PM »
"Steroids, Alcohol, God (and Duh)," by Tony Mandarich.
"Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is I'm not. I honestly just feel that America's the best country and all the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism."
-Kenny Powers

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless."
-Also Kenny Powers

Offline slappy4428

• Deal with it.
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »

Yeah, if you swallowed the preposterous puff pieces/cover stories spun out by the Michigan State sports information department; there must have been a couple dozen of them during the fall of 1987, all following a nearly-identical template: "Tony Mandarich, the All-Natural Man," (Never Failed A Steroid Test  ;) ), a listing of the incredible (in the literal sense) amount of food Mandarich was supposedly eating, dozens of eggs a day, pounds of steak, shopping carts full of food, hundreds of bucks a week, 30,000, 40,000 calories a day, pouring down gallons of triple-strength coffee, cartons of Jolt Cola, all to explain his massive weight gain and buzzing-at-the-eyeballs hair-trigger attititude and behavior; and recaps of his insane workout regimen, which featured pounding tons of iron virtualy every waking moment he wasn't eating or, presumably, taking dumps.

That autumn, I remember talking to a doctor about the stories. "Jesus Christ," he said. "Why doesn't he just come out and say he's on roids? Being on roids is 10 times healthier than eating 50,000 calories a day and mainlining pure caffiene into your bloodstream."

The stories generated a strong suspicion of "wethinks they doth protesteth too much." The stories also never mentioned, a) where Mandarich got the money to pay for these hundreds and hundreds of bucks worth of groceries every week, and b) one single word about ever attending classes.

I think Telander wrote a version of this story for SI, I think it was the story in the "Incredible Bulk" issue. As I recall, Telander was so disgusted by the blatant propaganda and lying he asked to be switched off the college football beat.

That would be the Ken Hoffman propaganda machine, right? Vista had left by then... I think

Online Starman

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 10:56:07 PM »
That would be the Ken Hoffman propaganda machine, right? Vista had left by then... I think

AKA The Perles Public Relations Co.

Offline mustangj17

• Someone has it.
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 06:54:51 AM »

A co-worker turned to me today with the same quote as your title as soon as he read the news.
"We are not the story. We are the story tellers."

Follow me on Twitter @gunnsh0w

Offline Armchair_QB

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 07:34:47 AM »

Offline slappy4428

• Deal with it.
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 07:47:09 AM »
George Perles was MSU's coach when Mandarich played at the school. Reached Tuesday by The Detroit News regarding Mandarich's admission of steroid use at East Lansing, Perles said, "I would never say anything negative about one of our players or ex-players, so there's nothing there."

Good old George... still burying his head in the sand after all these years....

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Sh sh sha!
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 08:03:03 AM »

his insane workout regimen, which featured pounding tons of iron virtualy every waking moment he wasn't eating or, presumably, taking dumps.

So you're saying if I do curls while sitting on the toilet, I can be bigger than Mandarich?
Dale Gribb.... I mean, Rusty Shackleford, at your service.

The Granny

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 08:05:06 AM »
Advantage females. We can do curls whilst taking a dump or draining the silk igloo.