Author Topic: Football Stat sheet  (Read 62803 times)

Offline moonlight

• I do things my way and I pay a high price.
Football Stat sheet
« on: June 23, 2008, 04:41:53 PM »
Like most of you, I have to keep stats during high school football games. But after 3 years of using graph paper, I'm looking for a sheet to keep track of rushing, passing and receiving.

I've Googled it and most of what I find is for fantasy football.

Doed anybody know where I can download a sheet for stats?

Thanks.
The less you know, the more you believe. -- Bono

Offline Jeremy Goodwin

Re: Football Stat sheet
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 04:44:09 PM »
There have been some previous threads on here where people posted their sheets. Try a search.

Offline azmgb

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:49:05 AM »
If you go to a sporting goods store, you might be able to find the same type of book coaches use.
Personally, I always just made my own on notebook paper or whatever I had handy. I preferred it that way because I could organize it however I wanted.

Offline Rex Harrison

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:57:33 AM »
I once asked a desker to help me make a custom stat sheet in Quark. Just .5 pt rules in a neat grid and categories clearly labeled. Once we got it perfect, I copied it like crazy. Usually the best system is your own.
"Just think, right now as you read this, some guy somewhere is gettin’ ready to hang himself." -- George Carlin

Offline BrianGriffin

• Martini?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 07:42:20 AM »
Like most of you, I have to keep stats during high school football games. But after 3 years of using graph paper, I'm looking for a sheet to keep track of rushing, passing and receiving.

Thanks.

My shop has an unusual, but very effective way of tracking stats.

At the beginning of each season we get a pile of Account Book Journals like these: (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/177212/Account-Book-Journal-11-x-7/)
We use them for running play-by-play and running team stats.
The pages are broken up by columns and each column is used for a different category as follows (in order as the columns appear left-to-right:

Ball position (If it's on Penn State's 20 you might write P20), fumbles/lost, Play description, first downs, Rushing attempts/yards, penalties, pass completions/attempts/yards/interceptions, and punts. That's eight categories and eight columns. If you can't visualize one of these pages, I'll tell you the play description column is the widest column on the page. The column for fumbles is extremely narrow, you don't need much.

You need two different color pens and each team gets a color. So the home team's plays may be in black ink, the visiting team in red ink. Since the specific stats are in columns, it's easy to keep a running total. If a team runs for three yards on the game's first play, then doesn't run again for 10 plays, all you have to do is look up the rushing yards column and find the last running play in that team's ink color. And you can keep a running total. If the first play is for 3 yards, then the second play is for 4, after the second run in the rush column you write "2-7."

At halftime, I usually pull out a reporter's pad, go down the play by play (In a 48-minute prep game, a quarter usually fills up about a page of the journal) and put together the individual stats. This takes 5 minutes tops. Often, I find a discrepancy between my individual stats and team stats, but usually, another 2-3 minutes of checking finds the mistake (I failed to record a rushing play in the running rush total in the ledger, for example).

Usually, when I go back to the office, I quickly add up the second half individual stats and add them to the first half, then again proof them against the team totals in the ledger. Another five minutes, tops.

The great thing about it is there are several ways to proof your stats as you go.

Another thing to do is get a copy of the running play by play programs colleges use now and do it that way. But those things aren't cheap and I don't know if they are available for Mac.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 07:45:38 AM by BrianGriffin »

Offline Barsuk

• Everything's coming up Barsuk
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 07:56:33 AM »
Brian, that's almost exactly how I keep my stats, except I do it on homemade Excel sheets, rather than buying a $27 notebook.
2008 Certain Idiots Allowed Fantansy Football CHARMION!!!

Offline BrianGriffin

• Martini?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 08:05:28 AM »
Brian, that's almost exactly how I keep my stats, except I do it on homemade Excel sheets, rather than buying a $27 notebook.

Well, the ledgers are a perk. We get them from accounting and the shop has been doing it so long that accounting knows to order extra ledgers every July.

Excel would work good too. I like being able to stick a sticker on the ledger that says "2008 season" and pile them up in a box as past references. However, I don't know if I've ever actually needed them, especially now that I just do preps a little on the side (I'm on a college beat, but my paper has all hands on preps on Fridays) and I'm almost never doing prep features, columns, etc. ...But it could happen, so the box of old ledgers stays...

Offline SportsGuyBCK

• Why ask why? Because it's our job, DAMMIT!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »

Thanks.

I have an Excel worksheet that you can either print out (on legal-size paper) or put it up on your laptop and keep running stats ... PM me with an e-mail address, and I'll send it to you ...

Offline Hank_Scorpio

• Mocassins rule!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:55:40 AM »
Google football score sheets. And these were the first two entries.

http://www.psal.org/psalsports/Football/psal_footscore.htm

http://www.scorebookstore.com/foscst12ga.html

The second is kinda similar to the one I used, that I got years ago from a co-worker.
If you wanna kill someone on your way out, it would help a lot.

Offline mike311gd

• Kelly and Jessie who?
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »
I created a Word documents, which help me keep everything in order. If you'd like, PM me an e-mail address, and I'll send the sheets your way.
"You will never know the touch of a woman." - Zeke12

Offline fossywriter8

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 12:27:08 PM »
BrianGriffin,
I use a similiar method, only with one pen. I use one of those multi-color pens, like the kinds Bic makes (red, blue, black, green), and a stenographer's notebook.
I have columns for ball position, down and distance, play and result.
I also add up the first half stats at halftime.
Unlike others on here, I can't use a computer program or even a big notebook because I'm on the sidelines taking photos and marking down plays. Ah, the joys of a small-town paper.
I regret that I have but two middle fingers to give to our government. — William Bannier

I never say I've heard it all in this racket, but now I'm one step closer. — HanSenSE

Offline BrianGriffin

• Martini?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »
BrianGriffin,
I use a similiar method, only with one pen. I use one of those multi-color pens, like the kinds Bic makes (red, blue, black, green), and a stenographer's notebook.
Unlike others on here, I can't use a computer program or even a big notebook because I'm on the sidelines taking photos and marking down plays. Ah, the joys of a small-town paper.

I simply cannot find the multi-colored pens any more. Who carries those these days?

Offline sportshack06

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 01:52:53 PM »
I simply cannot find the multi-colored pens any more. Who carries those these days?

http://www.google.com/products?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=bic+4+color+pen&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

I'd also pass along my recommendations of FixedIt.com software if you have a Windows based machine.

Program is kinda buggy. Guaranteed to crash once per game. But always has accurate stats (if you remember to enable the autosave function). Free version doesnt allow for printing/exporting of stats/box scores, but still a good program and probably the best and easiest in terms of form/function and ease of use.

Offline joe_schmoe

• working to find a better photo
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 02:30:59 PM »
Several years back when this topic came up, I downloaded one that someone had put up. I can't recall whose it was, but I still have it and would be happy to upload it. I just don't know how, if we can ever still, attach files to our posts. Someone tell me if I can (and how), and I'll upload it.
Otherwise if anyone is interested just PM me with an email addy and I'll send it to you.
My only regret is that i have but one life to live as a Sportsjournalist.

Offline fossywriter8

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 06:04:38 PM »
BrianGriffin,
Check out the back-to-school or office sections of Wal-Mart or some other big department store first. If you can't find them there, try Staples or a similar store.
By the way, those pens come in handy during basketball season, too, since you can take notes in a different color each quarter.
I regret that I have but two middle fingers to give to our government. — William Bannier

I never say I've heard it all in this racket, but now I'm one step closer. — HanSenSE

Offline slappy4428

• Deal with it.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »

The second is kinda similar to the one I used, that I got years ago from a co-worker.
Who, pray tell, would that be?

Offline Hank_Scorpio

• Mocassins rule!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »

Who, pray tell, would that be?

Some slappy.
If you wanna kill someone on your way out, it would help a lot.

Offline BrianGriffin

• Martini?
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 07:27:54 PM »
I never see the multi-colored pens at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Office Depot, etc. I'll qualify that by saying it's never my "mission" to find them, but if I am in an office supply area near football season I look for them.

I think they are avoiding me.

A co-worker found some once at a Dollar General Store, but they appeared to be designed for the hands of a four-year old.

Offline Barsuk

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 07:39:19 PM »
I never see the multi-colored pens at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Office Depot, etc. I'll qualify that by saying it's never my "mission" to find them, but if I am in an office supply area near football season I look for them.

I think they are avoiding me.

A co-worker found some once at a Dollar General Store, but they appeared to be designed for the hands of a four-year old.

I haven't seen 'em in years. Went looking a couple times, too. Might have to order some off that link up there.

Offline crimsonace

• It's a great day for hockey (finally)
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 07:57:29 PM »
A good stat sheet one of my colleagues designed, and I retrofitted to Quark ...

Use 2 per game -- one for each team.

http://www.indianassa.org/files/FBstatslegal.pdf (prints on 8.5 x 14 legal-sized paper)
http://www.indianassa.org/files/FBstatsletter.pdf (the same thing scaled down for 8.5 x 11 paper)

Offline joe_schmoe

• working to find a better photo
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 08:37:54 PM »
The one's Ace just posted are the ones I had downloaded if anyone else was going to request them.

I like the one I use, but I need to revamp it and make a nice copy. When (IF) I do I'll post it somewhere.
My only regret is that i have but one life to live as a Sportsjournalist.

Offline pressboxer

• I am an avowed enemy of inconvenience
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 11:42:37 PM »
I once asked a desker to help me make a custom stat sheet in Quark. Just .5 pt rules in a neat grid and categories clearly labeled. Once we got it perfect, I copied it like crazy. Usually the best system is your own.

I came up with my own system nearly 20 years ago and have taken the Quark file with me everywhere I've been since.

One thing I do is cutomize a header for the play-by-play plage with Visiting Team Nickname (record) at Home Team Mascot (record). I also put the date, name of the stadium and city on another line. It really stands out in 20-point bold Helvetica.
"I don't want a girl with off-beat good looks, I want a girl with beat-off good looks." -- Drew Hastings

Tom Petty

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 12:15:47 AM »
BrianGriffin,

dorks, and usually in their shirt pockets.

Offline BrianGriffin

• Martini?
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 08:04:59 AM »
BrianGriffin,

dorks, and usually in their shirt pockets.

A saw a pharmacist with one in his shirt pocket today, inside the pocket protector, of course. I thought about grabbing it and running off. But I didn't have a pocket or a pocket protector to store it in so I left it alone.

Offline Barsuk

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 08:13:03 AM »
A good stat sheet one of my colleagues designed, and I retrofitted to Quark ...

Use 2 per game -- one for each team.

http://www.indianassa.org/files/FBstatslegal.pdf (prints on 8.5 x 14 legal-sized paper)
http://www.indianassa.org/files/FBstatsletter.pdf (the same thing scaled down for 8.5 x 11 paper)

That's solid. I might give it a try this year.