1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Co. 'Chief Innovation Officer' Delivers More Laugh Lines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 25, 2008.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnick/2008/05/25/tribune-co-chief-innovation-officer-delivers-more-laugh-lines

Wow. Wouldn't want this guy making decisions that impacted my life.

Here's his take on how to improve sports:

LOGOS OF SPORTS TEAMS. I rarely see logos of Sports teams on the Sports pages? I'd think that those are powerful symbols you'd WANT on your page. Also maybe dividing local pro sports and local amateur sports, so you can suggest super coverage of both...I know that may be done right now, but it might just need that 2x4. Maybe you can better OWN each by dividing the section and really bringing those logos into front and center. Sports logos are flags for people...display their flag!

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I read that whole thing. Some weird stuff in there.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

For half the price and a steady supply of Bekaa valley hash, anyone on this board could come up with weirder and better ideas.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Dude looks sort of like Ron Jeremy.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I noticed that too.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Jeremy displayed his flag, or mast, a lot. Maybe this guy took a hint.

Putting logos of teams with roundups or notes packages, maybe. As a show of "support" or to "wave the flag," take it back to the innovation center, fanboi.

7. If this guy were posting like THAT here, anonymously, he'd have zero credibility.

Yet somehow he's in charge of innovation at one of the country's largest newspaper chains.

8. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

This assclown is just typical of the foofs running newspapers today. They throw stuff at the wall in the name of "innovation" and when that doesn't work they say the newsroom didn't execute it properly. These idiots have no clue, really, what they're doing; they're simply guessing, and they find receptive audiences in the glass suites because those idiots think that blowing the newspaper apart is the best way to increase readership and money. And we wonder why the industry is in the shape it's in. I've never seen any industry so eager to kill itself as newspapers seem to be.

9. Metin Eniste

Metin Eniste Member

Yeah, let's keep doing exactly what we're doing, because that's working out so well for us.

I realize that this memo is all over the map, but we damn well better come up with new ideas. Not one job will be saved by calling him a fanboy or an assclown, or sniffing that he mentioned what Ward Cleaver did in 1956 when (gasp!) Leave It to Beaver didn't premiere until 1957.

10. No shit, sherlock. But if you want to listen to every idiot who writes like THIS and backs every point with rhetoric rather than facts, you go right ahead.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think he's really smart and his ideas are excellent. You bozos should listen. [/mr.scottnewman]

12. Metin Eniste

Metin Eniste Member

I take the time to listen to an array of people. I find that to be more helpful than knee-jerk bitching about assclowns in glass offices.

Draft saved Draft deleted