1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire's "most gripping story you will read this year."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OnTheRiver, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Dubbed that way on the cover, and it delivered.

I can't find it online, but if you subscribe to Esquire, get yours out of the mailbox and read up -- page 102, "The Things That Carried Him."

Kudos, Jones.

That was one hell of an effort.

2. I know nothing about the referenced article. I just thought the irony of this post title followed by no responses for 12 hours was great.

3. goldy220

goldy220 New Member

I enjoyed the Things They Carried when I read that six years back or so. Now I want to find this article...

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's a troubling point. Probably for a different reason than intended. The members of this board are working journalists.
    Other than the fact that the members are fans of great literature, writing and turn-of-phrase, most of the members are not in Esquire's demographic. Journalists reside in the middle class -- if they're lucky -- some below and others far below that. (Of course there are exceptions).
    The Esquire subscription rate is probably pretty low. Now, if there was a hyperlink to a Jonesy piece, this thread would have been pages deep.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't think I've missed an issue of Esquire since I was 14. But I've never subscribed; I'm not a magazine subscriber, I'm a newsstand buyer, every magazine is an at-will purchase that month. I went to Barnes & Noble last night and they didn't have this issue yet.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I love it. But, Frank, you and I are newstand junkies.
    Depending on what fundraiser was going on, I've had subscriptions over the years.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I used to be like that until the wife convinced me how much money we could save by subscribing to all the magazines we buy. So I now get Esquire for like 22 dollars for two years. That's the good part. The bad? At times our apartment looks like one of those garbage houses on the news, as we're drowning in magazines that don't stop coming! And if it's not the magazines, it's the junk mail to renew (I get confused with what we've renewed and just keep sending checks - get Self for three years for 11 dollars! - so I think we're getting Budget Travel now through 2014).

But it is worth it when Esquire, Vanity Fair, New Yorker, New York, all come rolling in. Haven't received this new issue yet.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They'd be dwarfed by the ocean of catalogs that arrive each day for my wife. So that's not a factor. I prefer to be on as few mailing lists as possible, just my way of saying screw you to The Man.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Then again, there are those of us who just haven't gotten the new issue in the mail yet...

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Would it be bad form to say, "this thread is useless without a link"?

11. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Esquire's my favorite magazine.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've been sick all weekend. The current Esquire is high in what The Queen lovingly refers to as my "shit stack." Yeah, it's been a fun few days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.