1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Evert jumps, err, to marry The Shark

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

PAARL, South Africa (Reuters) - Former tennis champion Chris Evert and ex-golf number one Greg Norman announced their engagement on Friday, during the South African Open golf tournament in the South-Western Cape.

Evert and Norman have both divorced their spouses in the last year -- Australian Norman agreeing a reported $100-million settlement with Laura in September and Evert splitting from Andy Mill, her second husband, last December.

Evert, the winner of 18 grand slam singles titles, confirmed the engagement at a news conference to announce she would be building a tennis centre at the Pearl Valley Golf Estates, where the South African Open golf is being held.

Asked whether there were any marriage plans between her and Norman, the American, sporting a large diamond on her left ring finger, replied: "Well, it is an engagement ring. We were engaged on Sunday night coming over here, en route to South Africa. We don't know when and where we'll be married though."

Evert, 53, jokingly asked Norman: "Why don't you say something to them (the media)? Gee, you're a big chicken!"

The 52-year-old Norman, a former world number one, is lying seventh equal in the South African Open on the second day of the tournament.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um....I had no idea they were even dating. Kooky.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

The most shocking thing about this is Chrissie is older than Norman!

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've read that she broke up Norman's marriage, although I haven't heard her side of the story...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=483426&in_page_id=1773

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'd hit it and wouldn't spend the afternoon in the rough.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Greg: "But I want to be on top!"
    Chrissy: "Who's won more majors?"
    Greg: "Ohhhhh."

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That just made me laugh REALLY loudly.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She looks pretty good for her age.

Sharkie looks better in dark glasses.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Post of the Week.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Good luck to them. 2 athletes I've always liked.

Was checking out Chrissie's career record, and from Wimbledon in 78 to Wimbledon in 85 she made the finals of 22 of the 26 grand slam events she entered (she didn't always play in the Australian). Easy to forget how dominant a player she was.

11. Well, she doesn't have to worry about Martina's beating her out on this one.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Norman

Be sure to check out the section on his personal life.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22378485-661,00.html

WHILE Greg Norman was set to celebrate his $600 million divorce with a beer, soon-to-be ex-wife Laura was weeping over the end of their 25-year marriage.

After a Florida court hearing to finalise their nine-figure settlement this afternoon, the Great White Shark promptly jumped on his personal jet to join girlfriend Chris Evert at the US Open and begin the next chapter of his life.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2007/11/21/a2a_jose_1121.html

Draft saved Draft deleted