1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN grabs a good one from Baltimore Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The came from a most trusted member of El Pipeline.

The WWL has raided newspaperdom yet again: agreed to deal today with Heather Dinich of Baltimore Sun to help cover ACC for espn.com. part of massive blogger-type initiative that will include a lot of hires in both college and NFL. already landed Chris Low, formerly of The Tennessean and rivals, to cover SEC. more to come. many more to come.

Moddy again - I said yesterday that the next few weeks were going to be very, very, VERY interesting.
    Heather is a great get for them and a big loss for newspapers.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Only been around Heather a couple of times, but the Terps fans' hatred of her seemed really, really unfounded.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Geez, Maryland. Women can write sports, too.

Good for Heather!

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Wha, wha, what!!?!?!?!?
    They don't want to vote, do they?

5. One of my favorite reporters in the Mid-Atlantic to read during basketball season; does a great job covering the Terps.

6. Zeemer

Zeemer Member

Great hire. Heather is smart, talented and one of the nicest human beings on the planet. This is a great move for her, but -- fearless prediction here -- it's only a step toward even bigger things.

7. OwlWithVowel

OwlWithVowel Member

Not only is she great in print, but she does a terrific job on her blog for The Sun:
    http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/maryland_terps/blog/

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've seen Heather at several Maryland football and men's basketball games. Not only is she good at what she does, but she's always been approachable.

The Sun's loss is ESPN's gain, but hopefully, I'll still see her at other games.

9. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

She's a very nice person, but she is honestly not very knowledgeable about UMD sports. As someone that follows it closely she often messes up very simple things and overall the Baltimore Sun is nowhere near as good as the Washington Post in their coverage. I do really enjoy her blog though.

10. If you're going to rip someone, try not to make the same mistake you're ripping him or her for ::)

11. Agreed about Washington Post being better in its coverage--Prisbell is one of my favorite college beat writers in the country.

12. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Eric Prisbell now actuallly is the national writer, but I wholeheartedly agree about Prisbell. I think he is a superb writer and does not get a lot of the recognition that he deserves.

BTW there is a difference between a typo on a message board and a factual error in a newspaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted