1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogger Bashers Rejoice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by auggie_ben_doggie, Oct 8, 2007.

1. The NY Islanders have opened their "Blog Box," allowing bloggers to view the game from their own press area, giving them access to the home locker room and the chance to ask questions of players and coaches after home games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/richard_deitsch/10/08/islanders.bloggers/

As someone who has defended the idea of increased media access to bloggers, it's with a heavy heart I must report that according to SI.com, several of them mingled with the working media during postgame interviews while wearing Islanders jerseys:

2. Babs

Babs Member

Since they were "encouraged to cheer" by the Islanders, why would you expect them not to wear jerseys?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Self-respect?

4. Babs

Babs Member

But this wouldn't even occur to them, since most don't even desire to appear objective.

Objectivity is a relatively recent construct in the media anyway, if we remember history.

Pendulum swinging the other way? I'm just thinking out loud here.

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Team blogs are kind of like Fox News. You go there knowing you're getting one side of the story.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You obviously haven't met Alan Colmes and Geraldo Rivera.

7. Are you saying that every blogger who writes about the Islanders is drinking the Kool-Aid? I'm sure at least a few of them have made some cracks about the backup goalie becoming GM or the starting goalie getting a 15-year contract, right?

8. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

No clue, Ben. Don't read the Islanders team blogs. But most team blogs give you the perspective of, say, a Bears fanboy. Not saying anything is wrong with that, either.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As one who spent half his college years witnessing firsthand Bob Hammel as Bob Knight's water boy and most of his staff outwardly cheering at Indiana games, and as one who has read many threads on this here board about fanboy newspaper, TV and radio reporters, I would caution anyone that while it may be fair to trash specific bloggers for being blatant fans, it would not be fair to conclude that bloggers should be trashed just for being bloggers because many are homers, while "legitimate" reporters are not.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed, Bob. But in this, and all cases, jerseys = homers.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Sigh ... desperate marketing ploy ... some things will never change in hockey.

12. Meat puppet and crazy person.
    The original title of the show was "Hannity And Liberal To Be Named." Honest.
    Anyway, Karl and his purse have me worried here.

Draft saved Draft deleted