Author Topic: Dan Patrick's "big announcement"  (Read 21225 times)

Offline BitterYoungMatador2

• "If Collins is A1, so am I."
Re: Dan Patrick's "big announcement"
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »
I'm lucky. About the same time that Patrick coms on around here is the same time that Steve Szaban and the Sports Reporters is coming on WTEM.
Wlat lives here.

Offline D-3 Fan

« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2007, 01:10:42 PM »
I'm lucky. About the same time that Patrick coms on around here is the same time that Steve Szaban and the Sports Reporters is coming on WTEM.
Damnit people, it's Czaban, Czaban!!!! 

Spnited, thanks for expressing the sentiment of a sizable number who feel the same way with Patrick:  the sumbitch has resorted to talking much ado about nothing now.  It's time for the sports pontification to have one of it's members back away from the microphone.  He missed his chance to do GMA when it was offered, and TPIR is out of the question. 
"While I never took a pledge on term limits, I do believe that our nation is better served if from time to time we senior members step aside to allow individuals with fresh ideas to challenge the status quo in Congress."

-Jennifer Dunn (1941-2007), former Congresswoman from Washington

Offline leo1

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2007, 01:32:55 PM »
Apparently he will make the announcement Thursday:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070703teddy,1,3876021.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

And, speculation is that he is gone.

based on this i would speculate that although he's a d-bag and annoying, his postponing of the announcement is not further d-baggery. instead it's probably so he can give himself time to think over whether he really wants to quit and/or ponder whatever offer or response ESPN has given him.

Offline Elliotte Friedman

• Journalism topics only
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2007, 02:05:31 PM »
The lead on that column is hysterical.

Offline Flying Headbutt

• Sports and News
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2007, 10:30:35 PM »

Yeah, but even if I like Al Galdi, Czabe has become a tool and that station unlistenable.  There are some nice people I've met from there over the years, but the station needs a major house cleaning.  But since it's Clear Channel it can continue to suck and I'll continue to not listen while it toils at the very bottom of the ratings despite it's all Deadskins all the time format.

Offline dargan

• Goin' down slow
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2007, 01:44:42 AM »
Throw DP to the wolves on 1310 The Ticket out of DFW, or anything else just as long as he doesn't wind up ruining the greatness of Inside the NBA on TNT.

NDub

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2007, 08:05:42 AM »

"ESPN could be on the verge of losing one of its signature personalities.

Unfortunately, it's not Chris Berman."

I agree. Outstanding.

Offline Danny Noonan

• Back at Bushwood
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2007, 08:18:11 AM »

I agree. Outstanding.

One of the best lines I've read in years.
Just be the ball, be the ball, be the ball. You're not being the ball Danny.

Offline BNWriter

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2007, 08:44:29 AM »

I agree. Outstanding.

One of the best lines I've read in years.

So happy to hear I am not the only one who thinks that....Haven't been able to stand Berman since I first listened to him give baseball players really stupid nicknames in the 80s.

Offline DanOregon

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2007, 09:55:50 AM »
Anybody know if he's on today?
ďThere has always been a struggle between Art and Commerce and now Iím telling you, Art is getting its ass kicked and itís making us mean and itís making us bitchy. And itís making us cheap punks. Thatís not who we are."
- Wes Mendell, Studio 60, shortly before he is fired.

wickedwritah

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2007, 09:58:48 AM »
Throw DP to the wolves on 1310 The Ticket out of DFW, or anything else just as long as he doesn't wind up ruining the greatness of Inside the NBA on TNT.

I don't know if greatness is the word I'm thinking of ...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:08:28 AM by wicked »

Offline patchs

• RIP Ron
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2007, 10:04:47 AM »
Anybody know if he's on today?

Valvano pinchhitting today.

Offline DanOregon

« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2007, 10:06:46 AM »
What a tease...
ďThere has always been a struggle between Art and Commerce and now Iím telling you, Art is getting its ass kicked and itís making us mean and itís making us bitchy. And itís making us cheap punks. Thatís not who we are."
- Wes Mendell, Studio 60, shortly before he is fired.

Offline spnited

• "We are not the story. We are the story tellers."
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2007, 10:08:41 AM »

Offline D-3 Fan

« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2007, 10:09:58 AM »
Unless DP is taking a two-week vacation to make up his mind before making "his" announcement, this was a ratings grabber for his show.  

Teasing whore.  
"While I never took a pledge on term limits, I do believe that our nation is better served if from time to time we senior members step aside to allow individuals with fresh ideas to challenge the status quo in Congress."

Offline spnited

« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2007, 10:11:29 AM »
I repeat:

self-serving, pompous ass.

Dear Dan:
We don't give a fuck what you're doing. Good-bye.

Offline Claws for Concern

• One jersey has nothing to do with the others!
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »
He is in another one of Adam Sandler's movies. Perhaps he's going to work at ESPN's soon to be constructed studios located across from Staples Center in between bit parts in lame movies.

Offline dooley_womack1

• Just as good a spring
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2007, 10:21:22 AM »
Dan Patrick is awesome; I would love to see him interview Tank Johnson.[/makingspnitedsheadexplode]
"If she has a shiny fleur-de-lis on her ass, you may not even have to buy her dinner."--Freqposter

I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I do not feel ashamed.

"Bubbler: 'Dick Whitman: Stop Reading Slate' "--Bubbler

Offline spnited

« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2007, 10:33:29 AM »
Dan Patrick is awesome; I would love to see him interview Tank Johnson.[/makingspnitedsheadexplode]

Not quite dools. I really don't give a shit about either of them.

Offline D-3 Fan

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2007, 10:39:54 AM »
I repeat:

Dear Dan:

Bob Barker (picking up the phone):  Hello?
ESPN:  Hey Bob?  This is ESPN.  How is retirement so far?
Bob:  Going well.  In fact, I'm on the course making Sandler my bitch again.  For real.
ESPN:  That's good, that's good.  Say, we wanted to ask you if you were interested in doing some guest appearance work, if it's workable in your schedule.
Bob:  Go on...
ESPN:  Well, there was talk that Dan Patrick, one of our stars, is planning on making a major announcement, but he's decided to tease the listeners and us on when he makes his decision.  We didn't want to be stuck between a rock and Holly's boobs, eh, a hard place.  So, we are looking for someone with a loyal and strong following who can replace Dan if and when he leaves.  Simply put, we really don't care if he comes back or not. 
Bob:  What's the details of this offer?  (takes a swing at Sandler on the 10th Hole while talking)
ESPN:  Money is not a problem for us to give you.  We're actually desperate to fill in air time with quality people.  It's a three hour shift Monday through Friday.  You can do a radio version of TPIR or rerun some of your best shows.  The listeners will eat it up!! 
(Sandler in the background mocking)"They're all going to laugh at you!"
Bob(taking his 5-iron and wrapping around Sandler's neck, strangling him)Well gee, I don't know.  I'm just getting used to hitting the links and enjoying retirement.  Did you know that Adam Sandler is a wonderful young man?  Can you give O'Donnell a call?  I heard she would really love to keep her family in New York and Bristol is a short trip for her.  I did mentioned her for the TPIR job, but at her last job, she was on some shaky ground. 
ESPN:  We could give her a call.  After all, we are desperate for a big name to fill our 12pm to 3pm slot.  Seibel, Steve Phillips, Berithume, and Jason Smith are not, well, strong enough name-wise and ego-driven, to pull this off.  Thanks again Bob!
Bob:  Don't you mention it! And don't forget to help control the pet population, have your pets spay or neutered, good-bye everybody!!!(breaking the 3-wood over a newly deceased Adam Sandler)

Offline HeinekenMan

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2007, 11:21:30 AM »
I repeat:

Dear Dan:

Bob Barker (picking up the phone):  Hello?
ESPN:  Hey Bob?  This is ESPN.  How is retirement so far?
Bob:  Going well.  In fact, I'm on the course making Sandler my bitch again.  For real.
ESPN:  That's good, that's good.  Say, we wanted to ask you if you were interested in doing some guest appearance work, if it's workable in your schedule.
Bob:  Go on...
ESPN:  Well, there was talk that Dan Patrick, one of our stars, is planning on making a major announcement, but he's decided to tease the listeners and us on when he makes his decision.  We didn't want to be stuck between a rock and Holly's boobs, eh, a hard place.  So, we are looking for someone with a loyal and strong following who can replace Dan if and when he leaves.  Simply put, we really don't care if he comes back or not. 
Bob:  What's the details of this offer?  (takes a swing at Sandler on the 10th Hole while talking)
ESPN:  Money is not a problem for us to give you.  We're actually desperate to fill in air time with quality people.  It's a three hour shift Monday through Friday.  You can do a radio version of TPIR or rerun some of your best shows.  The listeners will eat it up!! 
(Sandler in the background mocking)"They're all going to laugh at you!"
Bob(taking his 5-iron and wrapping around Sandler's neck, strangling him)Well gee, I don't know.  I'm just getting used to hitting the links and enjoying retirement.  Did you know that Adam Sandler is a wonderful young man?  Can you give O'Donnell a call?  I heard she would really love to keep her family in New York and Bristol is a short trip for her.  I did mentioned her for the TPIR job, but at her last job, she was on some shaky ground. 
ESPN:  We could give her a call.  After all, we are desperate for a big name to fill our 12pm to 3pm slot.  Seibel, Steve Phillips, Berithume, and Jason Smith are not, well, strong enough name-wise and ego-driven, to pull this off.  Thanks again Bob!
Bob:  Don't you mention it! And don't forget to help control the pet population, have your pets spay or neutered, good-bye everybody!!!(breaking the 3-wood over a newly deceased Adam Sandler)

Wow. That took some serious work. What's next? A three-act play? Why do people in the industry get so worked up over ESPN personalities? Everyone seems to loathe them for believing they're the center of the universe, and then those same people make it a major news story every time one of these ESPN entertainment hogs lets out a squeaky little fart.

Maybe I just don't get it. I have never heard Dan Patrick's show. The last time I saw his face on a regular basis, I was a college student. But that's probably more because ESPN and its blessed Sports Center are no longer the center of my world.
I'm too sexy for my signature.

alleyallen

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2007, 11:30:46 AM »
Dead on, Heineken. Dead on.

I have heard Patrick's radio show before, although it's been quite a while. Unless things improved dramatically, I doubt I've missed much, if anything at all.

Offline TyWebb

• "By height."
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »
I was interested in this "announcement" at first, then slightly curious, and now I totally don't care what he says.
A mixed martial artist of journalism.

Offline HejiraHenry

« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2007, 11:40:24 AM »
Why do people in the industry get so worked up over ESPN personalities?

Professional penis envy. Pure and simple.
The third-best cooler in the business, after Dalton and the late Wade Garrett.

NDub

« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2007, 11:59:38 AM »
I still think it's too early to jump to conclusions on why DP hasn't been on in a few days and certainly wasn't on during his "big announcement" day.

I previously mentioned diarrea as a reason. Now, I'm thinking some ESPN execs sat him down for a few days and let him think about what he's doing. Or maybe they sat him down because they were pissed he was plugging it like this. Or maybe Dan just has the shits.