Author Topic: Tony Kornheiser  (Read 20496 times)

Offline Flood

Tony Kornheiser
« on: June 07, 2007, 03:08:09 PM »
Is he still a columnist at the Washington Post? His last column was Oct. 5, and that was just a MNF diary. Just wondering if anyone knows what his situation is, or what his role is now at the Post. Is he simply holding that job hostage, or will he return anytime soon? Just curious if this was ever explained. Thanks.

WazzuGrad00

Re: Tony Kornheiser
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 03:11:14 PM »
As he says on his radio show, "These fingers don't type anymore."

Offline jakewriter82

• it's Ceeeeeecil!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »
I know he does the "Tony Kornheiser Show" on Washington Post radio..It's also available on Itunes is the only reason I knew he was still doing his radio show.
It's not really sports at all..Sometimes, but a good 2 hours of the show is non-sports..
Good stuff on there now and then
Experience teaches slowly and at the cost of mistakes.

Offline Flying Headbutt

• Sports and News
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 03:49:44 PM »
His show really does stink now.  He buys his own hype unfortunately.  And they'll still transcribe a rant or rave on occassion and put it on the top of page 2 in the paper.  Sometimes it's just a monologue they record and type in, sometimes it's a quick conversation between him and Wilbon.  The most you ever see of him is in the ad for his show they put in the paper, and of course his show is wrapping up in three weeks and he'll be done until after football.

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »
I guess a $500K salary doesn't buy what it used to... ;D

"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

Offline fishwrapper

• Today's news, tomorrow's...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 04:01:03 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Tony the TV personality.
But, when Tony did sit down to write and he was passionate about the subject, you would be hard pressed to find someone better. It's a shame, really.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." -Marion Morrison

Offline ChrisYandek

Offline Lester Bangs

• The prostitution rests.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 04:25:21 PM »
It's a tough business, even for guys who make it look easy. Can't blame the guy for realizing he can make a fat living without the grind of a column ... and then doing it.

WazzuGrad00

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 05:11:07 PM »
I like his radio show (which I listen to as a podcast) specifically because most of it isn't about sports.

But, he's not a columnist anymore (no matter what the Post says). He's a personality. I can't really criticize someone who isn't a columnist for not writing a column.

Offline Flood

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 05:20:02 PM »
He's still listed on the Post's Web site as a columnist.

Offline joe king

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »
Is this an example of the Peter Principle? The guy's such a great columnist that he moves on to bigger things, at which he isn't nearly as good.

Offline Boobie Miles

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 06:19:59 PM »
Is this an example of the Peter Principle? The guy's such a great columnist that he moves on to bigger things, at which he isn't nearly as good.

Says you. The guy is making a ton of money and his shows bring in huge ratings. Someone must like him (oh wait, millions of morons watch American Idol too, so it doesn't matter that he gets good ratings, in fact it's a bad thing that he gets good rating. I think that's the logic used around here to discredit anyone who gets good ratings). Seriously though I think he's a great television personality. I'm not crazy about him on MNF, but I also don't set my week around watching that game anyways so it doesn't really bother me that much. I've never listened to him on the radio, but on PTI he's fantastic. That show is so much better than the infinite copycats that have sprouted up as result of PTI's success.
"A bad girls basketball game is like watching a fat person trying to climb stairs: it's so bad, it's almost akward to watch." --Daemon

Offline dooley_womack1

• Just as good a spring
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 06:25:52 PM »
Thanks for stopping by, Tony.

Sorry, had to be done.
"If she has a shiny fleur-de-lis on her ass, you may not even have to buy her dinner."--Freqposter

I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I do not feel ashamed.

"Bubbler: 'Dick Whitman: Stop Reading Slate' "--Bubbler

shotglass

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 07:13:53 PM »
His show really does stink now.  He buys his own hype unfortunately.  And they'll still transcribe a rant or rave on occassion and put it on the top of page 2 in the paper.  Sometimes it's just a monologue they record and type in, sometimes it's a quick conversation between him and Wilbon.  The most you ever see of him is in the ad for his show they put in the paper, and of course his show is wrapping up in three weeks and he'll be done until after football.

The radio show remains my choice of morning voices, whether there's much sports in it or not.

Offline In Exile

• "When the water runs cold, that's it" -J. Kerouac
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 07:24:56 PM »
As much a columnist as he is a writer, which is to say he ain't.  Not any more.

And as the old joke goes, "now that we know what you are, all we have to do is negotiate the price."

Offline PCLoadLetter

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 07:30:01 PM »

Couldn't disagree more.  LOVE the radio show.
Stuck in dumb amazement like a dog who's told to levitate.

Write-brained

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 07:34:38 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Tony the TV personality.
But, when Tony did sit down to write and he was passionate about the subject, you would be hard pressed to find someone better. It's a shame, really.

When I lived in the D.C. area, I used to get up every morning, buy a cup of coffee, cigs and a Post and turn to the Sports section first to read Tony. And if we were really lucky he also had a column in the Style section that day. Fucking hilarious.

I like his radio show, what I've heard of it, and PTI was good when he was still on it on a regular basis. But he sucks on MNF and has just lost any of my respect with all his thin-skin bitching - telling his own newspaper not to print defamatory shit about him. Fuck him.

RIP a great columnist.

Offline Flying Headbutt

• Sports and News
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 07:51:49 PM »
I used to really love his radio show.  Everything I've heard since is all about American Idol or whatever other TV show he was watching.  I couldn't take it anymore.  And while the ratings were going up with him on Post Radio, overall his radio show is of almost little consequence in the ratings here.  The station as a whole, which boasts one of the best signals in the country, is somewhere around 20th.

wickedwritah

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 08:50:02 PM »
How's the new Kornheiser show?

Offline Twoback

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 09:07:02 PM »

He's better on PTI than he ever was as a columnist.
And he was a terrific columnist.

Offline amraeder

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 09:14:26 PM »
I can't wait to hear who's on his fantasy team next year!

Offline Nathan Scott Phillips

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 09:30:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure he changed his deal with the Post at some point and is not really getting paid big columnist money anymore.  He gets plenty for doing other things, of course.

I don't really care for the sidekicks on the new show. I miss Andy Polley.

Dan Rydell

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 11:06:36 PM »
It's usually bad when a good writer gets a TV gig and crosses over to pop culture. Then they turn into clown acts, and they feed on it and crank it up even more because big money is rolling in.

I loved Kornheiser as a writer. Funny and ascerbic wit, always entertaining and smart. He's probably good on radio, too. But he's turned into a total clown on TV.

So has Dan Le Batard.

This could be its own thread, but let's do it here: Who's a bigger ESPN clown, Kornheiser or Le Batard?

Watch them with the sound off. Then it's really clownish. Watch Jay Mariotti with the sound off, too. It's funny just to watch him throw his hands everywhere while talking so fast.

I watch those guys and wonder what aliens would think if they got near Planet Earth and dialed up the visuals.

WazzuGrad00

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 11:33:46 PM »
The answer would be: Le Batard. But he pales in comparison with Mariotti.

Offline Bubbler

• Last Of The Independents
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »
Where's the Skip Bayless option?
The cerebral musicality of jazz mixed with the visceral groove of funk.

You came here with a mouse in a bottle and now you're the mouse.

You're wrong my Bubby. I don't know ass. My degree is in journalism with a minor in hard knocks, not assology.