1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor, New York, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 7, 2007.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

my pity congrats to whoever got it.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Nine months to fill a pretty key position. Nice movement.

3. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

At least some candidates were informed that they hadn't made the cut.

On the other hand, some candidates still haven't heard jack.

4. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

Maybe Terry Taylor is just wating to make sure the poor sap doesn't quit during his first week on the job after seeing how mind-numbing it is to work for her.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Anyone confirm that a hire has been named or have a name?

6. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

A hire definitely has been made. I don't have the name, though.

7. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

I am told it's Ed Christine, previously from the Scranton Times.

Anyone heard of him?

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

No, but a Google search comes up with this:

http://nepamedia.blogspot.com/2002/05/ed-christine-named-sports-editor-at.html

Cronyism alive and well: Christine used to work with Beaupre at Gannett Suburban Newspapers in Westchester County, N.Y. Christine most recently married his way into the family that owned the Danville (Pa.) paper before the family cashed out.

9. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

If I'm hiring a top editor for a national news organization, I'm definitely looking to Scranton. Of course, this editor might be terrific nonetheless.

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Ed Christine is a good guy, according to several sources.

I also believe he is a minor character in "Worst Team Money Can Buy."

11. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Once worked with/for Christine at the aforementioned Danville rag. He was a good guy and I learned a lot from him, though I am still not exactly sure what the hell he actually did there (he seemed to have lots of titles and few duties other than a weekly column on A1, but hey, if your wife owns the paper, you can get a cushy job, too).

That Danville situation was kind of unique. Both Ed and the Mrs. had a lot of experience at some pretty good sized papers before they came to town to run Daddy's 2,000-circulation daily. They turned out a very good small-town paper while they were there, before sadly the paper was sold to the Sunbury folks, who bascally turned it into a Danville edition of the sad-sack Daily Item.

I believe Ed went to Scranton as SE first, then moved to the dark side ... not sure his exact title.

The guy is a very good writer (not that it likely matters in this job) and knows his stuff. Don't let the Scranton pedigree fool you.

Also, I don't know about "Worst Team ...", but when I knew him, one of his claims to fame was being in the end zone at the Orange Bowl when Flutie threw the infamous hail mary.

12. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Did he at least try to bat the ball away?

Draft saved Draft deleted