1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome to Bangalo... Pasadena, sorry.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, May 10, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Wonder if this guy is looking for a Rose Bowl reporter next year. I imagine the view my my couch is as good as the one from India.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of Cour... nah.. let's be serious...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Take this story and the the robots writing business briefs and it don't look good. When is India going to be able to start managing so eds can see their jobs out-sourced. Good grief. The bar keeps getting lowered. I'm sure someone at Gannett world headquarters is already on a plane to Mumbai.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dammit!

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It would be worth it -- unless I lost my nose for news.

6. rascalface

rascalface Member

Have fun with that.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It would be a raise if you worked for JRC or CNHI...

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

They still have the plague, can you believe it. The plague.

Do you get chilled monkey brains like in Temple of Doom.

11. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Here is what the Los Angeles Times reported on this: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-pasadena11may11,1,7515978.story

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

The problem is you can't cover this by watching television.

It would be easier to cover sports on television, because today it is possible to get post-game comments from press conferences after watching the game. If somebody went to cover a game and didn't talk to the coaches and players, usually it wouldn't be a good story.

SF Express, I am sure you know better. This is, in effect, stenography. It is writing press releases and a summary. I looked on the website, and most of the stuff is press releases and bloggers writing uninformed opinions and complaining about the Star News coverage. There may be some nice designs on the website, but where's the beef.

Look at this website, and find a bylined story. It may be packaged attractively, but it is pablum in a pretty box.

http://www.pasadenalivingmagazine.com/contents.html

I covered school board and municipal meetings for a long time. These fellows in India are probably pretty smart, but they don't know the ins and outs of municipal government and they won't be able to ask the city engineer how a project will work. They won't be able to go up to the city attorney and ask about a point of state law as it affects municipalities. They won't be able to press a council member on a point they made. They won't be able to challenge the mayor of Jersey City who says that 1,200 people at a meeting were organized by communists - because I asked the mayor how many of the 1,200 were communists and how could the communists manage to organize so many people in a place like Jersey City.

If people want to read pablum, I guess outsourcing coverage is the way to go. But I feel pretty confident I could eat this James Macpherson for lunch when it comes to covering a meeting.

Draft saved Draft deleted