Author Topic: Sports reporter to undergo sex change  (Read 76069 times)

Offline buckweaver

Re: Sports reporter to undergo sex change
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:21:59 AM »
Damn. Good for her.
"I feel bad for his wife and girlfriends. But it's karmic payback because he still hasn't touched the fucking plate." -- Cadet, after Matt Holliday let a ball hit him in the nuts in NLDS Game 2

"Don't fuck with happy." -- Elliotte

"wait, cadet is the wolf? -- Angola!

Offline GB-Hack

• I am The Stig
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:28:06 AM »
This just got thrown on the random thoughts thread.
Some say that when he slows down brake lights come on in his buttocks, and that his scrotum has its own small gravity field.

All we know is he's called The Stig.

Offline blondebomber

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:39:58 AM »
Whatever. I don't care one way or another. But why did she have to dread writing this story for so long? Why would it enter her mind we gave a damn? Just another example of a writer thinking a personal story is so important the readers MUST know.

My wife had a miscarriage last year. How dare my editor not let me write about that ...

Offline sportschick

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 12:46:56 AM »
You're a world-class asshole. That is all.
O_T, I have ovaries. You've never taken me seriously. -- Cadet

Karma's a bitch, she's got game and she's coming for somebody as we type. -- kinda sorta taken from serveitup

Offline SoCalDude

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 12:49:35 AM »
Penner is/was married to Lisa Dillman, another Times staffer. No mention in the story about her.

Offline Birdscribe

• RIP Stud Puppet 1914-2013. You were one of a kind.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 12:56:40 AM »
Penner is/was married to Lisa Dillman, another Times staffer. No mention in the story about her.

Wow. Didn't see this coming.

I noticed that too, SoCalDude. Interesting to see/hear what comes out of that variable to the equation.

As a wordsmith and turner of phrase, Penner is one of the best on that staff, although I could really do without his/her lecturing me about why soccer is the greatest sport and if I don't think it is, than I'm one notch above plankton on the evolutionary scale.

Glad to see that Penner is finally finding inner peace, however.
2007 JEOPARDY! Champion

2009 SJ.com Fantasy Golf Champion

"He looks poised, confident, professional, mature and well-groomed. What's he doing on sj.com?" -- Johnny D

Offline Piotr Rasputin

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 01:01:03 AM »
Took me a second to remember that tidbit about Lisa Dillman . . . . . .

Penner is a very good writer, a dude who really embraced soccer after being part of the 1994 coverage. And a good guy. He should do what he feelss best for himself and for his own psyche.

Good for him, and good luck to him.
"Please God, save me from heehaws pretending to be journalists." - Dr. Z

"I'd just love to have the final, fatal battle over there sometime today. I'm absolutely itching for it."

"You small, petty, shitstain. You f$#%ing ferret. You failure. You f$#%ing failure ferret."

Offline blondebomber

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 01:08:05 AM »

If I don't give a fuck about a transvestite sportswriter who writes under his byline, what makes you think I give a fuck what you think anonymously?

Your opinion means less to me than Penner's self-important column. If he wants to unburden himself, the sports pages of the LA Times isn't the place to do it.

Offline Oz

• Let's Go Pens!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 01:17:39 AM »
Your opinion means less to me than Penner's self-important column. If he wants to unburden himself, the sports pages of the LA Times isn't the place to do it.

Apparently, the LA Times editors thought otherwise.

Offline blondebomber

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 01:18:22 AM »

If I don't give a fuck about a transvestite sportswriter who writes under his byline, what makes you think I give a fuck what you think anonymously?

You stay classy, bomber. ::)

I have nothing against the guy's personal beliefs or decisions. Sorry if I don't think this has a place in sports. If the features section wanted to do a story on him, fine. But a first-person spiritual catharsis? Not appropriate in the sports section.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 02:42:46 AM by blondebomber »

Offline blondebomber

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 01:20:03 AM »

Apparently, the LA Times editors thought otherwise.

No, not "apparently." The editors clearly thought otherwise.

Offline sportschick

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 01:21:47 AM »

You don't care what I think, yet you spent time typing a fuck-off post.

Interesting.

Karma's a bitch, she's got game and she's coming for somebody as we type. -- kinda sorta taken from serveitup

Offline gingerbread

• "We are not the story. We are the story tellers."
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 01:22:58 AM »
Blondebomber,
Can you at least understand that many LA Times readers might wonder what happened to Mike Penner? That he's been writing about a lot of different subjects and sports for more than two decades and then suddenly disappeared?
Or that some might even think, "hmm, this new writer Christine has a similar writing style to that guy Mike. Wonder where he went?"
Or that gossips would soon hear about Mike transitioning and the news would eventually appear somewhere, and maybe this was him taking control of his own story?
Or that doing it this way was easier than explaining to his hundreds of sources that Christine would now be calling them about articles, and not Mike?
Can you give him that?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:25:55 AM by gingerbread »
I'll see it when I believe it.

cultivate joy

Words of wisdom: Yes I Can.

Offline blondebomber

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 01:23:48 AM »

You don't care what I think, yet you spent time typing a fuck-off post.

Interesting.

A fine retort from Message Board 101.

Offline blondebomber

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 01:27:16 AM »
Blondebomber,
Can you at least understand that many LA Times readers might wonder what happened to Mike Penner? That he's been writing about a lot of different subjects and sports for more than two decades and then suddenly disappeared?
Or that some might even think, "hmm, this new writer Christine has a similar writing style to that guy Mike. Wonder what where he went?"
Or that gossips would soon hear about Mike transitioning and the news would eventually appear somewhere, and maybe this was a way of him taking control of his own story?
Or that doing it this way was easier than explaining to his hundreds of sources that Christine would now be calling them about articles, and not Mike?
Can you give him that?

Yes, I can. As stated above: In the features section or even the front page, have a reporter do a story on the guy and flesh it out with medical background and support. That way it's educational and enlightening. A first-person piece in the sports section comes off as nothing more than a guy using the paper to unburden himself. If the paper wanted to acknowledge the situation, it could have done so much more effectively and * gasp * informatively.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:29:05 AM by blondebomber »

Offline gingerbread

• "We are not the story. We are the story tellers."
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 01:36:24 AM »
I'm not sure sports readers -- Mike's readers -- would necessarily see the story in features or news, especially if it didn't have his byline.
More than anything, I think this is how Mike has total control of his own story.
I'll see it when I believe it.

cultivate joy

Words of wisdom: Yes I Can.

Offline blondebomber

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 01:46:02 AM »
I stand by my opinion regrarding the topic, but on a side note for those who might think the LA Times owes it to its readers to explain the new byline: Whenever the LA Times has changed out its Dodgers or Lakers writers or even altered its columnists, do the editors have to publish a story on what went into their decisions? When a female reporter gets married and starts writing under her new surname, do we need a breakout box to alert the readers?

So the guy is changing his byline. Sorry to say, but we as writers overestimate the worth of our bylines. So few people notice. To think they do is arrogance.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 02:06:21 AM by blondebomber »

Offline sportschick

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 01:49:34 AM »
All of those things you mentioned are normal. Someone having a sex change isn't.

And most papers do a little something when they hire a new writer, least every place I've worked at has.

Offline blondebomber

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 01:54:09 AM »
All of those things you mentioned are normal. Someone having a sex change isn't.

And most papers do a little something when they hire a new writer, least every place I've worked at has.

Uh, she's not a new hire.

And the LA Times doesn't welcome each new writer with a story. A top two or three columnist might get a "Hello, how are you," but that's about it at a paper like that.

Offline Johnny Dangerously

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 02:15:54 AM »
It will be the most talked-about story in the paper today.
"If you want to know what's going to happen in five years, you don't look in the mainstream, you look at the fringe ..."
-- Steve Jobs

Meat Loaf

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 02:16:07 AM »
To hell with political correctness, that shit is just weird.

Offline blondebomber

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 02:52:42 AM »
To clarify: I'm happy for Penner. She seems very happy and at peace with her decision based on the story I read. It's the LA Times' decision on how to handle the piece that I question.

Offline Football_Bat

• You missed
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 04:54:38 AM »
I'm confused about this.

I thought before they did the ol' sausagectomy, one was required to live in a woman's persona for a year. Since he is still writing as Mike, that hasn't happened yet apparently.

Anyone privy to his situation who can clarify?
"[F_B] has a larger-paper sophistication that translates nicely in a smaller market. His topic selection was mature, his writing quick and unlittered." Bill Dwyre, L.A. Times
___

Proud member of Knights of the Vagina & The Moddy Hall of Fame :)
__

"The square root of 69 is 8-something." Drizzy

Offline Simon_Cowbell

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 04:59:44 AM »
Whatever. I don't care one way or another. But why did she have to dread writing this story for so long? Why would it enter her mind we gave a damn? Just another example of a writer thinking a personal story is so important the readers MUST know.

My wife had a miscarriage last year. How dare my editor not let me write about that ...
If the paper didn't have such diverse, deep personal stories, it would have nothing.

Sportswriters are personalities to the readers.

This notion that readers don't care about their paper's writers is really antiquated. Second Amendment style.

And, when you have such a rare life occurrence that such a writer is willing to talk about in public, you jump on it.

Who knows how many people in his readership he unburdened at least a little bit with his words.

You can choose not to read it.
"Easy, guys... I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records."

Book it: Obama 320+ EV Nov. 4
9/12/2008

"The Americans will always do the right thing... after they've exhausted all the alternatives." - Winston Churchill