1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer lawsuit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by martygit, Dec 10, 2006.

1. martygit

martygit Member

Hey, folks!

This is Marty Gitlin, who became the target of more attention than I anticipated when I filed a discrimination lawsuit against the Plain Dealer in 2003. I remember a friend calling me up and telling me I had to check out sportsjournalists.com because there were more than 100 postings about me. I couldn't believe it.

I dropped the case in early 2004 because I couldn't justify spending a lot of money on it when I was going through a career change. I had two mouths to feed, which was infinitely more important.

Anyway, I felt it my obligation to let you know that the judge has ruled my case against the Plain Dealer was not frivolous and that the newspaper will be obligated to pay its own attorney fees.

The Plain Dealer ran a story stating that my attorney and I were responsible, but that was before the judge had heard any testimony. When we were able to give testimony a couple weeks ago as to why we filed the lawsuit, the judge ruled that it was a legitimate case to pursue. I am hoping the Plain Dealer will write a retraction, but I am not certain it will, journalistic ethic aside.

I very much appreciate the support I received from so many of you on this website through all the turmoil I experienced. As for those who criticized me, they have that right. I just don't think they knew enough about me to question my character. And there was one interesting omission...none of them ever said the PD didn't discriminate. When you hire more than 10 consecutive females or African-American males as full-time sportswriters from outside the paper, it's a stretch to claim otherwise.

I very much hope nobody out there felt only a racist or sexist could file such a lawsuit because anyone who knows me is well-aware that I have always been a believer in affirmative action to right past wrongs and that I've always been very left of center politically. The possibility that anyone assumed otherwise hurt more than anything else.

What was warranted were the snickers about me becoming a nursing home administrator. Horrible! I hated it! I am strictly a freelance writer these days. I have been commissioned to write three books for junior high school kids, I am an NBA beat writer for inspin.com. I am writing for a couple other online services as well and my "cereal encyclopedia" that I had a blast writing and compiling has been accepted for publication. I am beginning to earn more money freelancing than I ever did as a newspaper sportswriter.

Well, that's it. Thanks again to everyone who took an interest in all that happened. And no matter what, I would always recommend to anyone to always do what is right. I probably wish this never had happened because it resulted in many anxious moments, but I never questioned that the suit was justified.

And anyone who needs a freelancer in Northeast Ohio, it's 877-265-2676. You might find out, dammit, that I was good enough to work at the Plain Dealer!

Bye!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I will say what many others believe: I'm glad someone loudly pointed to the gigantic white elephant in the middle of Cleveland's room.

Diversity in newsrooms is important. It shouldn't be forced to such a ridiculous degree.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Boy, this is certainly an interesting twist to a long-running line on SportsJournalists.com. :)

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I appreciate someone who can poke a little fun at themselves.

5. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Marty,

Did you put Honey Nut Cheerios under its own entry in the H's or with Cheerios in the C's?

6. martygit

martygit Member

All Cheerios offshoots in my book are under the "Varieties" section under Cheerios.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Marty:

Good luck with that. Of course, your admittance that you are doing better now than you were when you were employed may present a problem in seeking damages, but perhaps you've thought of that already.

As far as whatever response you got here, I'd just write off to the same old nonsensical mentality of bitching + not wanting to solve any problems + not wanting anyone else even to try to solve any problems. That's a mentality I hope never to understand and will never try to understand.

8. martygit

martygit Member

I'm not worried about that. The lawsuit is forever gone. I would never pursue it again, though not to say it wasn't a worthy endeavor.

9. Pathetic.
    Grow up, Peter Pan.
    You weren't good enough then, you're not good enough now.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Marty,

Did you win the case or merely show enough that the judge forced the sued party to pay its attorney fees? It certainly would be far from a victory to go through this and pay your own attorney fees and get no other redress. Good luck to you, but I wouldn't put NBA "beat writer" for inspin.com at the top of the resume.

11. martygit

martygit Member

Hey, Welcometotherock: How do you equate never getting an opportunity to not being good enough? I must compliment you, though. You are obviously an Andy Griffith fan. That shows you have better taste in sitcoms than you do judgments about folks you know nothing about.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Marty,

All I got to say is get in line behind me, dammit.

Best of luck otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted