1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He was a union-buster even before he was an owner, when he worked for Joe Allbritton. However, I don't think that's it -- this is happening everywhere. Anyway, the union at the LADN has been pretty meek. Top scale for reporters there is $848.38.

2. Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford Member

As a very happy California homeowner, you can't afford to live on 44,000 without some major side income.

This thread makes me damn glad I walked away from it all several years ago. Unbelievable.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I thought Jim Rockford lived in a trailer.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

New answer for when people ask why I got out: I wanted it to be my call.

No cuts at my old shop yet. I keep my breath held and fingers crossed. They're way down as it is so maybe none will come. I would weep even in my absence because the paper is full of very good, very hard-working people. I dreaded cuts because A. I didn't want to be one and B. I didn't want to have to tell someone, "Oh, hey, your work is just fine. We simply don't have enough to pay you anymore."

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Brent Hopkins, who runs the Daily News union blog, takes the buyout

http://thenutgraph.blogspot.com/2008/02/and-now-its-time-for-my-own-goodbye.html

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Why do they have this many senior executives when it's obvious they want, what, about 10 employees to run every one of their publications?

Oh yeah ... Lean Dean ... cronies. Gotcha. Wise businessman that Singleton ...

And who's surprised that Brent Hopkins took the buyout? After what he said on his blog, of which every word was correct yet tactful, he had to know he would be a target of Singleton's from here on out.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It's not the right time to question anyone's motives for taking a buyout. Brent has been on the frontlines of this fight for a long time, a voice of reason in a time of unreasonable demands. I might not agree with his decision, but I would never question his courage. Anyone who works at a Singleton paper is a target, even the silent ones. And in my opinion, those are the worst kind of journalists.

8. Mateo

Mateo Member

Copy desks for news and sports are to be combined between the Breeze and the P-T. 12 positions created to accommodate universal desks to be stationed at the Breeze. Those 12 positions to be decided from 21 designers and copy editors from the P-T. So, 8-9 people will be technically out of a job at the P-T when it all shakes out.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If he works for Singleton, he'll be living in a cardboard box pretty soon.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm neither questioning anyone's motives for taking a buyout, nor am I criticizing Brent. What he did was both admirable and courageous. Without question, I agree that anyone and everyone is a target at a Singleton publication, but I can't imagine that speaking out - no matter how right the person may be - will aid your cause in a place where Lean Dean is looking for jobs to slash and burn.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

They tried this crap before, combining the San Bernardino/Ontario/San Gabriel/Pasadena/Whittier news desks into one in San Bernardino and doing the same for the sports desks in San Gabriel. It was abandoned because it didn't work.

And if the desks are going to be in Torrance, does that mean there will be no Long Beach physical plant? That'll save some money.

12. Mateo

Mateo Member

The P-T will continue to have a newsroom in L.B. They have a 15-year lease with the ARCO Towers or something like that. The paper has already had to abandon a floor, and have split the advertising department up to the newsroom floor and down on the first floor were human resources is.

Draft saved Draft deleted