1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woody Paige back to Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Moddy Pipeline:

Woody Paige is returning to the Denver Post. They totally screwed Marc Spears, by the way. They had him trying out to be a columnist, and then they decided to hire Woody back. Don't know in what capacity.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cold Pizza's gain is Denver's loss....
    ;)

3. Blushing

Blushing Member

Woody has contributed to the impression that sportswriters are ranting idiots, if not state-of-the-art wackos. And with his persistent shtick, he has lost journalistic credibility.

4. JHath

JHath Member

Can't say I like Woody's stuff - he definitely comes off as a buffoon - and I haven't read Marc's stuff in years, but when I edited his raw copy at one of his first stops, it was horrific. So horrific in fact that the desk banded together and went to the EE about it with a 2-inch-thick file. Marc left a few months later for a better job.

Still, I hope Marc has improved since then because he always was a nice guy. To be tried out and then denied stinks - especially if Woody is the other option. Hang in there, Marc.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

On the other hand, he looks like Jerry Freakin Izenberg compared to Skippy

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mr. Spears can really work sources, though. I'd always find a spot for a strong reporter, though maybe not the columnist's spot.

I'd find a spot for Mr. Paige, too. Maybe in the letters to the editor once a month or so.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Woody Paige does act like a moron on TV, but his columns -- as I remember them from his pre-ESPN days -- were very good. I think he has plenty of credibility in the print medium.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

woody's a legend among readers in denver. he understood he could always go home again. 8) 8) 8)

9. Blushing

Blushing Member

As for Skippy, he has no credibility either. The guy can make words dance. But he lost all credibility when he cowered outside the interview room, listening with an ear to the door, rather than go inside and confront Tom Watson. Skippy had just written a column blasting Watson as a choke. Watson, of course, went out and won the tournament, and Skippy didn't have the . . . . courage to face him. And it's these guys, Skippy and Woody, that ESPN makes stars, which is why, or at least one reason, I say ESPN has lowered the level of sports commentary in this country.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did Woody wet his pants? That Tom Watson is scary mean.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What, eating dog food wasn't good enough for Woody?

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Doesn't the Denver Post have a "hiring freeze" -- much like the rest of the industry?

clicking on sarcasm font

Draft saved Draft deleted