1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singleton wants to play the layoff game too

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Don't look now, but we could have more palace revolts in LA...

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2006/10/rumors_swirling_in_single.php

Outside of my freelance stuff, I miss writing less and less with every pass through Romenesko.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Could explain why they don't have a sports editor yet. Or ... no one wants it.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Inside source says the list of candidates has not been long nor particularly distinguished. Poor pay, strange sharing of resources, area built out ... it might stay open awhile.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Last I heard, the Daily News is in a hiring freeze. Sports editor is open position as are a few copy editor and design positions. Desk is going more universal, but without new people, not sure how universal it can get.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Heard a semi-big name was up for it then it was shot down and they haven't had anyone else in since.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Heard the same thing about probably the same name, but didn't hear it was torpedoed.

And the S.S. Daily News lurches on

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Good people work there. It is a shame.

8. healingman

healingman Guest

FWIW ... I was one of the people who lost their jobs in Houston when Singleton sold the Post to the Hearst Corp. It was a long time ago and I've gone on in my life ... yet I can say that I have survived being shoved out on the street by Billy Dean.

And awaaaaaay we go!!!

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Layoff game? What, how many you can lay?

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Blog entry by the Daily News' union rep says he expects there to be a few positions lost. Not much wriggle room at that place to cut staff.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

With a publisher like Dean, you'd be amazed how much can be cut...

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Would the sports editor vacancy be one of them? I mean, they're getting the paper out (I assume) without one going on, what, three months now.

Draft saved Draft deleted