1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would your paper be OK with this tweet?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tommy 2-Tone, Jul 29, 2012.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

too many "accidents" on Twitter...my work would not be okay with something like that whether it came through by accident or not would be irrelevant.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

let's hope he was covering Dutch field hockey
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/dutch-field-hockey-popular-reasons-beyond-field-hockey-232321640--oly.html

and not gymnastics

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I would be uncomfortable if one of our people dropped a tweet like that.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is there an unattractive woman on that team?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I certainly hope you wouldn't be. That tweet is completely inappropriate.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

How is this even a debate? There is no way that's OK, and it speaks on our business today if it is.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

There is an informality that is associated with Twitter, yes. There is still professionalism expected from professionals who use Twitter as part of their jobs.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't blame him. I blame the skimpy water polo speedos.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This raises a larger issue. To what extent does an employer have rights to restrict what you post (or say) outside of your official duties? It has NEVER been addressed (pro or con) anywhere I worked. Do companies have official policies regarding it? Or sort of make it up on a case by case basis?

Can you get fired or fined for stuff like that?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. Why not?

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm not saying I have a real answer or opinion here. It's sort of the question of how much can an employer control your entire life. Sort of like the smoking question. Sure, an employer has the right to enforce a smoke-free workplace. But if you wanna go smoke at home, at a bar, wherever?

Where's the boundary between what you do as a professional whatever and what you do as a private citizen?

That said, I will readily admit Twitter is the dumbest thing ever and the stuff people write on there just boggles the mind sometime.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

As best I can tell, it's not.

Draft saved Draft deleted