1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mike Penner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Terrible, terrible, terrible. RIP.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I second WriteThinking's thoughts.

Good guy, very good journalist. RIP Mike.

Godspeed. The SoCal soccer geeks, and Scribes FC alums, lost a part of their soul today.

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

My thoughts definitely are with Lisa and John right now. I hope they're coping as best they can.

Mike was one helluva writer. LA Times has posted a few of his links. I urge all the young 'uns to pay attention to his pacing and turn of phrase.

Lastly, what the hell was wrong with me and why didn't I drop him an e-mail during this past year? Damn.

:'(

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Interesting and sad story.
    Rest in peace, Mike, and condolences to the extended family/friends.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Here is the gallery of samplings of Mike Penner's work being offered up by the L.A. Times:

The headline links don't look like they're live, but they are.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lat-sp-penner-sg,0,1526797.storygallery

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

First became aware of him last year and really enjoyed the discussion and the insight from others on this board. Read the Rick Reilly column. The news of his passing was just a kick in the gut. Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and colleagues.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Anybody have any details about Mike's life since he returned to being Mike? Was he unhappy compared to when he was Christine? I'm continuing to pray for Mike and his loved ones and all of you who knew him.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A very, very well-done piece by Scott French on Mike, who he was and how he became a soccer geek.

http://www.realclearsports.com/articles/2009/11/30/mike_penner_great_writer_soccer_fanatic_gentle_soul_96555.html

I crossed paths with Mike occasionally during my writing days, but read him religiously because IMO, he was the most talented wordsmith at the Times. And yes, that includes Plaschke, Simers and insert-name-here. As F Patek noted, when it came to turning a phrase, Mike was in a class by himself there.

Originally, I didn't like his arrogance at forcing soccer down your throat, like you were one of the unwashed masses if you didn't "get it." Then, later on, I realized that was the voice of a convert and Mike could make you "get it" on any topic. I read his figure skating pieces because they had his byline. And I detest figure skating. Few -- if any -- writers could make me read figure skating.

But Mike could.

A sad, sad story about a gifted -- and tormented -- soul who hopefully has found more than some measure of peace. I can imagine Jim Murray, Earl Gustkey, Mal Florence and Shav Glick wondering WTF Mike was doing walking into the Great Pressbox in the Sky in 2009.

Murray: "Jesus, Mike. What the hell are you doing here. You've got a World Cup and Winter Olympics to cover next year. Isn't there some Cameroonian forward, South African goalkeeper or Norwegian ice dancer you need to tell us about?"

Yes, there is. And unfortunately, we won't be able to read Mike's lucid stories about those and anything else he took on. And we're all the poorer for it.

RIP, Mike.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well said, as usual. Feel the same way.

RIP.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thanks for posting Scott's excellent piece.

Add Alan Malamud to the list of Times staffers wondering why Penner is already there.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Well said, Birdscribe. Count me among the many who at one time or another had the pleasure of meeting him (back in 1991 and 92) at CSF football games and Rams games. I looked forward to reading all of the columns and stories, all done with such a wonderful wit. The change to Christine Daniels was an act of bravery and the column in support of the decision was so well done. The change back to the Mike Penner byline doesn't make me question it at all. As long as we, the readers, were able read his/her writing, that was fine by me. I do feel really bad that a life so full of kindness and blessed with a great sense of humor and seemingly full of life — Scott French captured it perfectly in his tribute — ended this way. RIP, Mike. RIP Christine.

To all: Has there been any mention of a memorial fund or a place to send donations? If so, I'd really like to help out.

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

RIP Mike. Prayers for Lisa. Talent and class, all the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted