1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cutbacks to come at Tampa Bay Times - UPDATE / CONFIRMATION

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Feb 27, 2014.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Drip, you were initially pretty hesitant with movable type at first, no?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

LOL. You have to learn to adapt. Change doesn't bother me. I embrace it with open arms. In time, it becomes the norm and then it morphs into something completely different. We're having this discussion now. Wait until five more years and see what kind of discussion we'll be having.

3. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I didn't know that. That's really encouraging news.

4. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I didn't know that. That's really encouraging news.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

All the metrics I see say "engagement" with videos blows our other "content" out of the water.

When you have numbers saying that, that's what's behind the video push.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Well said. Drip, mentally flagging this thread for 2019. God knows I'll be on these boards ...

7. thesportsscribe

thesportsscribe New Member

The sports staff took its first hit this morning. Longtime Tampa Bay Lightning beat writer Damian Cristodero took a buyout and is moving to Washington D.C. to be with his wife. Joe Smith, who was the backup beat guy, is moving to the Lightning beat full-time. And Matt Baker, who had been covering preps, is moving to Joe's position to be the Bucs, Bolts and Rays backup beat writer after the spring.

8. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

It was only a matter of time for Matt to escape the bureaus. He's good and writes interesting stories. If they truly cared about college sports, UF in particular, they'd put Matt on that.

9. vicd

vicd Active Member

Should they fire Antonya English first? Or reassign her to the bureaus?

10. thesportsscribe

thesportsscribe New Member

Matt's been terrific covering preps and FSU part time. He's going to be excellent in this role, too.

As far as college coverage goes, I think the Times does a good job when it comes to the local stuff. Joey Knight has done well adjusting to the South Florida beat since taking over for Greg Auman. His corro is really solid, too. And Antonya English has been great for Gators coverage all these years. Hopefully, it stays that way.

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Problem is, nobody cares about the local stuff. It's UF or bust, with FSU a strong second. And yes, I know where USF is. But the interest doesn't come close to matching its geographical advantage. I'd have AE at USF. I don't want to turn this into an anti AE rant, but she has not been anything close to even above average. And because she's on the highest profile college beat, their college coverage suffers as a result. It should be dynamic. It's hardly ever that. Been that way for many, many years.

12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

What's not being said -- you'll have to read between the lines -- is that this reduces the Times' annual financial commitment considerably, which is a good thing for the financially strapped newspaper.

Tampa Bay Times Forum has a new name: Amalie Arena

TAMPA — After a dozen years as the Tampa Bay Times Forum, the Tampa Bay Lightning's home arena has a new name. Amalie Oil Co. is assuming naming rights of the downtown Tampa entertainment arena and concert venue, which will now be called Amalie Arena, Lightning chairman and owner Jeff Vinik announced Wednesday. The Tampa Bay Times is shifting to become the exclusive print sponsor of the recently renovated 19,204-seat arena.

The Times' chairman/CEO spins it well, though, in the story.

Read it here: http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tampa-bay-lightning-plans-major-announcement-this-afternoon/2195910

Draft saved Draft deleted