1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They put together that sendoff fast. No time to waste.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The Padres, Giants and D’Backs have all had meh starts to the season (not terrible, not great, just meh) and yet all three are less than 2 games back of LA. For all the talk of the offense, they just aren’t bonding teams down enough. And I’m here to give an “it’s still April but I want to snicker” snicker

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Just finished “Charlie Hustle” the Pete Rose bio. I think it’s very well done. Page-turner for me.

I was really getting into baseball when Rose broke Cobb’s record. And of course I was really engaged by the time Giamatti handed down the lifetime ban. But I didn’t know much else beyond the stats and highlights.

It’s a thorough telling of a driven person who was deeply flawed, reckless and unable to admit mistakes even as he destroyed his life and legacy.

It’s also just an interesting span of baseball during his career, starting when players still worked other jobs in the offseason to the end of the reserve clause and into free agency. And when a singles hitter could be a superstar.

Also great stuff on the 1975 World Series. When 75 million people watched Game 7.

Good book. Recommend.

4. TheSportsPredictor

Loved that book. Super well researched. Dribbled in all Pete’s gambling elements bit by bit til they took over the book. Easy to forget how big Pete was back in his day and how massive the gambling suspension was. The book might not even do that part justice.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. Deskgrunt50

I had the same thought that maybe that part was somewhat underplayed. Tho, it could’ve gone on forever too, with so much going on.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Rendon back to the IL.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have that up next. Luckily a good friend in Microville is the president of SABR and also a published author so he gets a lot of new releases, has a fabulous baseball library and loves to share so I grab 4-5 books at a time.

Reading a book about the MLBPA from 1966-81 right now "The end of baseball as we know it"), fascinating stuff, the owners at that time we so stupid and almost all of the righters were management tools.

Huggy and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Putting that one on my list. Thx. That backdrop in the Rose book made me want to read more about it.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Will anyone notice?

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've been a SABR member for a few years, the library of SABR publications alone makes it worthwhile. Some fascinating stuff about baseball from all eras, all levels.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Random, to be sure, but it caught my interest.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Is the fan in witness protection yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted