1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guild walks out at Star-Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'd be less worried about that as a scab than the knowledge you're going to be fired the second the strike is over, unless those papers want to increase staff.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Are you sure the papers do not plan to keep the replacement workers on permanently and be done with the union? I understand the frustration of the strikers but given the state of the industry I think they have zero leverage.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

From the story:

Federal labor law states that workers striking over unfair labor practices can be “neither discharged nor permanently replaced.” They are entitled to have their jobs back once the strike ends even if the company has to fire the employees who were hired in their absence.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

That assumes a settlement and the strike ends. What happens if the company never settles? The union can take the company to court for unfair labor practices and probably win someday.

An example. In 2000 10 Wal-Mart meat cutters at a store in Texas voted to unionize. Wal-Mart immediately closed the department. In 2003 the meat-cutters won in court. But it took the appeals court five more years to decide the case. Companies can delay and delay in front of the NLRB and outwait the employees.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I might be outing myself here, but meh.

I interviewed for a job 15 years ago that would've changed my career path. I'd previously worked part-time in the market and was kind of excited. I went down and had a brief interview with the SE, who I knew in passing, and it was pretty much "this is yours if you want it."

The EIC calls the next day and offers me a salary that was less than my then-job and at best equaled the job before, I can't remember the specifics now.

I called him the next day and asked him if he would boost it about 4 percent. He said tough shit. Maybe I'd get a $10-a-week raise in six months.

(I checked back in with them a couple days later and was more willing to play ball, but by then they told me to pound sand. They hired a college classmate of mine, who did well. I'm happy with where I'm at now.)

I could've made it work on the extra $$$ and who knows, I might still be there today. But beancutters were gonna be beancutters, even in 2008. And strict pay scales suck.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing earlier ... in many industries, the whole idea of "scab" is practically an anachronism.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Not sure why the Star-Telegram needs employees. Just staff up with freelancers and call it good.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Then you're an idiot.

9. doctorquant

10. doctorquant

Haven't seen much of a difference in the Star-Telegram since the strike began ... same handful of bylines (and the dumbest sports columnist in America) appearing in the sports section. Maybe I'm just too big of an idiot to notice what should be noticed.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They syndicated Joseph Goodman?

doctorquant likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Maybe they should lay off old, overpaid business executives who’ve run out of ideas.

Woody Long likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted