1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gaylord Perry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 1, 2022.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Liut and maumann like this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They should bury him in a casket that looks like a Vaseline tub.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

July 3, 1973
    Starting pitchers
    Gaylord Perry for the Indians
    Jim Perry for the Tigers
    Tigers win 5-4
    Gaylord takes the L
    Jim gets no decision
    Gaylord didn’t really get his due until he was traded to Cleveland
    Some guy named Marichal was the ace in San Francisco

Liut likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Or at least have Vaseline on the casket handles.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I have an autographed ball from him. No Vaseline ... he used to own the building in which my step-grandmother - who I treated as a biological grandmother because the latter died 10 years before I was born - worked in. In the box she sent me a handwritten note with the ball indicating that he was the only man who won the Cy Young in both leagues, which was true at the time ... and a large bag of plain M&Ms.

She worked in an unpretentious building in a small, unpretentious town. The town in which Gaylord Perry was born.

RIP, good sir and Thank You.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I remember seeing him get out the passenger side of a convertible Caddy in Cooperstown over induction weekend back in maybe 1996. Big cowboy hat, bushy mustache, total Southerner rolling in like Boss Hogg.

I really got to get back to an induction weekend. Been to several, but not in like 20 years.

Liut likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I thought he still lived in Williamston, but saw in his obit he had lived in Gaffney, S.C., for quite some time. Wonder if he knew Frank Underwood?

Vombatus and playthrough like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Legend has it he started throwing the spitter while pitching 10 innings of relief in the second game of a doubleheader vs. the Mets at Shea that went 22 innings. In the same game, Willie Mays ended the game at shortstop for the Giants.

11. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

If this story is true, and I believe it is, Gaylord seems like he was a hell of a guy ("Richard Nixon" is the persona of a guy who has a mock Twitter account in which he absolutely nails Nixon's phrasing/manner of speech).

Gaylord Perry Saves the Day

matt_garth, maumann, qtlaw and 4 others like this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's a great story. It's always nice to be reminded there are still nice people in the world. For that day alone Gaylord's an HOFer in my book.

Draft saved Draft deleted