1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I only watched the last 12 minutes or so and I think that Mexico gave up a goal because of tired legs and not because they weren’t playing anyone behind the ball.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Where's the story for "Why don't they eliminate the offside rule?"

dixiehack likes this.
  3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think everyone knows. If I recall correctly, one of the Group D teams' benches was watching the other game on a phone.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Regarding the 16 groups of 3, one, FIFA can and will change the rules however it damned well pleases whenever it damned well pleases, but Grant Wahl tweeted a system that might actually work to prevent cheating and level the playing field as it relates to rest and such: "paired groups."

This is to say that there'll be 16 groups of three still, but instead of playing two games against the other team in your group, your team plays the three teams in another group and the standings of your group are based upon how you fared against your three common opponents without ever actually playing against the teams in your group.

https://www.natgoldc.com/2026

A friend I tweeted this brings up a major potential dealbreaker. If Group A wins all its games against Group B, a team could potentially be eliminated despite winning all three of its group games. You'd think there'd be some sort of workaround against that.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just think about the stories they'd be doing if they weren't the rights holders.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Groups of three is ripe for disaster. Whatever. That's four years out.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

One way to fix any group shenanigans would be to institute knockout rules in group play — no draws, there has to be a winner and a loser.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tough for broadcasters in the four games in one day phase. Plus I don't think FIFA is eager to see a games decided on PKs parade from day one on.

PS: My daughter in France emailed me yesterday asking "what was all the confusion and weird ending of the France-Tunisia match." Thinking she'd been at work so missed the game, I told her. Turns out everybody in France missed it. After Griezmann apparently scored, broadcaster cut away for commercials (French commercial breaks can last for five minutes or more, because even for regular programming, they only have one a half hour). Country now has its own Heidi Game. If only Switzerland had been in it!

dixiehack likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

V's dad mentioned this, this morning.

I am going to be in France from the semis on. I am actually going to have a day to kill by myself in Paris while the semis are being played, so it could set up for me finding a bar while I wait, and doing my exaggerated Ugly American act for a bunch of blue shirts. For the final, I'll be in the middle of nowhere Ruralsville, but I am so hoping they get that far, because I'd still love to be in a country that really cares when their team is playing for it.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

But how many goals will be wiped off the board because of a distinct kicking motion?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have played and watched soccer for more than 45 years. Thanks to VAR, I now no longer understand offside.

The Croatian player’s arm is past the shoulder of the Belgian, but it isn’t past the Belgian’s arm, yet it is offside?

Draft saved Draft deleted