1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guild walks out at Star-Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Nov 29, 2022.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Sounds like this is getting ugly, which I guess all strikes/work stoppages/lockouts/labor disputes are. Relieved I have yet to be embroiled in one.

Saw where the employees' health insurance is being pulled month to month, while they are on strike. I guess that makes sense for McClatchy to do that, but it sucks for the individuals affected.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That’s shitty, but fair. Going on strike sucks for all involved, but it’s the only leverage they have.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I am a print subscriber of the Star-Telegram, and I honestly wonder if I'll be able to tell the difference between what they were putting out with the guild employees and what they'll be putting out without.

5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I was stunned by how small the staff at the ST is now....And am I wrong that they have basically stopped covering the Rangers (pre-strike)?

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If TCU makes the tournament, you might have a frame-of-reference opportunity right there. Curious to hear what you see if that comes to pass.

Liut likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Gurugram, India bureau won't let you down.

Batman and Liut like this.
  8. doctorquant

We were in Galveston over Thanksgiving and the contrast between what we usually get in the S-T and what the Houston Chronicle was putting out was stunning.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

What were the differences? No snark intended. Curious as to what they're each doing.

10. doctorquant

The main difference was quantity ... WAY more pages. Lots more stuff. Plus ... actual results, from the day before, not two days before. And this in a paper picked up at a convenience store 40 miles from downtown Houston.

And, to be clear, I don't live in some metroplex exurb. When we first became S-T subscribers, we got the final edition. If that's what we're getting now ...

Liut and Flip Wilson like this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ain't no other edition than what you --- and every other subscriber to a McClatchy paper*** --- are getting.

***unless Miami has more than one

doctorquant likes this.
  12. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted