1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I read they have started adding time to compensate for the hidden wasted time on throw-ins, goal kicks, injuries, players bitching at the ref, the standing around before every close-in free kick, etc.

Apparently the actual ball-in-live-play time has fallen from 60-65 minutes per 90 to about 50-55 because of so much dicking around. So they are adding more time on the back side. It just started with this WC, I believe.

Zimmerman was a solid sub, numerous clearances with his head and the the big one on the goal line in the 99th minute. Moore and Wright were pretty much worthless, which Dempsey pointed out quite clearly.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is not being received well in Canada. He really comes across as out of touch and ignorant of Davies career path.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Oh, I get why there has been a lot of extra time added, just didn't see where it came from in that half. No goals, a couple of cards, some injuries. But nine minutes? Maybe six.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Lots of subs.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

maumann likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Didn't get to see any of it but damn if I didn't hit four terrible shots on the 14th hole as I was stressed at the end, waiting for the final score notification from SofaScore. I'm not so sure the Dutch are going to dumptruck us. I watched their game against Senegal and it took them until past the 80th minute to get on the board. Obviously, Pulisic's status will dictate a lot. The stress was getting out of the group. There is no one who will predict the U.S. to win Saturday.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In the Beautiful Game, it is utterly crucial that the stadium clock does not actually show the accurate time remaining in the game, because if it did, then the trailing team would know it had to score in the final :30 or 1:00 (or whatever) of the game, and so they would break out of any semblance of any patterned offense in a hell bent rush to score, thus destroying the pristine symmetry of the Beautiful Game.

Yes, that is exactly what I was told by a well seasoned soccer guru from Europe, explaining why stoppage time is crucial to the very soul of the sport.

Roscablo likes this.
  8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That feels like a Leafs story with the nouns replaced.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Roscablo

I was not confident the US was going to get out of pool play after the Wales match, but after a very good performance against England, where honestly they out played them, and as much as the blitzed in the first half today, I don't think they are going to get run off the field. I wouldn't predict a win or anything, and man I wish they could score, but I think it should be competitive.

maumann likes this.
  10. Roscablo

One of my kids' schools had the game on their big screens throughout the building today. I think that is kind of awesome. It is the type of thing they'll remember for a long time.

maumann and MileHigh like this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’ll get to see the first half Saturday at the giant taproom near downtown before I have to go over to my daughter’s dance competition. So if Pulsic could get healthy and put it away with an early brace, I’d appreciate the help.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Christian may be ready, but his balls are out 6 to 8 weeks.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted