1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massacree in Five Part Harmony (Thanksgiving 2022 thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the heavy cream issue is a pure Boston thing. I forgot to add that since my daughter-in-law is a vegetarian, I make two kinds of stuffing and we do a tofurkey as well as a regular turkey. She's a really no-stress on carnivores veggie. In fact, when dining out, she sort of prefers steak houses because they have more sides of which she can make a full meal.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't eat meat. But food isn't a big deal to me, so I am a bit like your daughter. I don't know how she makes a full meal out of a steakhouse. One of my favorite stories, this was probably 20 years ago. ... a good friend had never been to Peter Lugers, and when he came into NY one time, I took him there. I ordered, "steak for two," they came out with the steak and were about to shovel some onto a plate for me, and I said, "None for me, thanks." The waiter looked at me like I was a martian. I am not sure if I tried to make a meal out of tomatoes and onions and some fried potatoes. I probably wouldn't have trusted them not to fry them in beef tallow. Creamed spinach is not appealing to me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

She loves potatoes of all kinds, and goes for creamed spinach, mushrooms, etc.

Wenders and OscarMadison like this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

One of the chain steak houses here has "V" and circled "v" next to their side dish listings. The food was good and beat the sad salad and baked potato salad some places offer. I just wish I could have convinced the waiter that fish were not vegetables.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We’ve been brining the turkey for about three weeks now and are going to serve it as Thanksgiving ceviche.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Alice's Restaurant gets all the pub as a Thanksgiving song, but for me - a great listen this time of year is The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will The Circle Be Unbroken VII. I'm sure all the volumes are great - but the second one just seems like people coming together with guitars, telling stories and enjoying each other's company - very Thanksgiving.

7. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Such a great album. I tried to post the Cash/Hiatt song here a few weeks ago but it didn’t work off YouTube.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving to the SJ crew. No drama here to spice up the thread.

I'm working, which is no biggie. Not a huge holiday for us. But I'll be working from home with great food and football on the TV. And (hopefully) work will be uneventful.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone experienced both Canadian and US Thanksgiving? Curious how they are celebrated, differences, one better than the other? Do people start Xmas shopping in Canada the day after?

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Mom's already asked where me and the boyfriend, who have only been dating for 4 months, are going on our honeymoon.

Someone please pass the whiskey. I should have never told that woman I was dating someone.

SFIND, UNCGrad, swingline and 6 others like this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Check the deals at Tahoe.
    You're only 15 minutes away.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted