1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas PBS station to acquire Denton (Texas) Record-Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 28, 2022.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

As a DRC alumnus, I'm a little torn about the move (but thrilled to see it discussed on SJ).

When I was there roughly a decade ago, things weren't great but the paper still had its historic downtown office space that seemingly didn't cost a ton. Then they moved to the outskirts of town. Then they laid off a ton of folks and now just print once a week, I believe. Hopefully the KERA acquisition injects a lot of cash and helps the DRC capitalize on the exploding population in the area. Honestly, someone could easily buy it and make it extremely profitable.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

garrow, SFIND and FileNotFound like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

SFIND likes this.
  4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Has this model ever really worked for anyone? Papers in big metros are clearly able to be somewhat profitable. The fact the CST can't is really on them as much as anything.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's probably also down to the fact that WBEZ can do it and views it as part of its mission to do it. As for papers in big metros... look at how many towns still have their second paper: a handful.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

For a $50 donation, a Dowton Abbey mug. Fo $100, you get one hour of air time.

maumann likes this.
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I believe eight towns have second newspapers.

Boston
    New York
    Washington
    Detroit
    Chicago
    Trenton, New Jersey
    York, Pennsylvania
    Crawfordsville, Indiana

I think the Philadelphia Daily News is still printed but the editorial content is entirely from a single newsroom shared by the Inquirer so I count it as one paper.

Do two or more papers exist in the eight towns I mentioned? Gannett owns both York papers so if they both have survived any recent cost cutting initiatives? Are there other markets out there I missed?

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh

Draft saved Draft deleted